Carver Middle School Newsletter
May 31, 2021
Happy Memorial Day Carver MS!
Special thanks to all of the military members and families in the Carver MS community. Your sacrifice for our freedom is appreciated.
We will continue with SOL testing tomorrow. We will operate according to an alternate schedule tomorrow. Students will report to class in the following order: 2, 4, 3, 1.
Our cookie orders have arrived. If you ordered cookies during our fundraiser, your items may be picked up Wednesday from 8:30 am- 6:30 pm.
Thank you to everyone who supported our track and basketball teams last week during our championship run! Our teams had extremely successful seasons. Both our Boys and Girls track teams won the Southern Division Championships. Our girl's basketball teams were the runners up in the County Championship and our boy's basketball team capped an undefeated regular season by winning the County Championship. We are so proud of all of our student athletes and our success would not be possible with out your support!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Middle School Basketball Champs!
Congratulations to our Boy's Basketball team on an undefeated in route to winning the County Championship last week!
GIrl's Basketball Runners-up!
Congratulations to our GIrl's basketball team on a successful season and wre runner's up during the county championship.
Congratulations to our track programs!
Both our Boy's and Girl's Track teams won the Southern Division Championship!
Middle School Basketball Champs!
GIrl's Basketball Runners-up!
SOL Testing & Calendar
Click on this link to view the Calendar Testing Calendar. Our students will take the Science SOL this week starting with our 8th Grade virtual students who will take the Earth Science SOL tomorrow.
If your child is a Virtual learner and you will be providing transportation, the arrival time is 8:00am. When your student has completed the test they will be allowed to call home and will wait for you in the Auditorium. Please come in to sign your child out with a valid photo ID. If you stated you'll need transportation before the deadline please ensure that your child is at the designated area for pick up.
CCPS Virtual Learning
Please use the links below for details and to register your child for the Virtual Learning Academy for the 2021-2022 school year. Applications are due June 1, 2021
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23.
Carver MS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
2021 Carver MS Yearbook!
Canvas Feedback Meeting
Thursday, June 3rd, 5:30pm
This is an online event.
Our Instructional Designer, Mrs. Smith has worked hard to ensure that Canvas is user friendly for all parties. We would like your feedback as we prepare for the 2021-2022 school year. Please use the Google meeting link here: meet.google.com/gzw-rmdo-eep.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- May 31- No school. Student & staff holiday.
- June 2-Cookie Fundraiser Pickup- 8:30 am-6:30 pm
- June 3- Canvas Feedback Meeting-5:30 pm
- June 9- NJHS Induction Ceremony
- June 14- Fundraiser Celebration
- June 14-16- Virtual Testing
- June 15- Eighth Grade Moving Up Ceremony
- June 17- Last Day of School, Half Day
- June 18- Juneteenth, no School
Thomas Dale Knightettes Dance Team
Future Thomas Dale Knights who are interested in auditioning for the TDHS dance team may complete the: Knightettes dance team audition form
Good luck future Knightettes!
Celebrate Asian American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month!
May is Jewish American Heritage Month!
During May of 2021, we will also acknowledge the contributions of Jewish Americans. Please encourage your Cougar to see the following site to learn more about the impact of Jewish Americans on the history of our Nation. https://www.jewishheritagemonth.gov/
2021 CCPS Fine Arts Festival!
When you see the work that our students have done in a virtual world, you will see creativity, passion, hope, and communication.
We want to say thank you to all of our artists, performers, and teachers for coming together as a united team to bring light and joy into our lives. We know this was a different way to share the arts, but we hope this positive representation will help to reinforce the importance of the arts in our community whether we are live or virtual.
Carver MS Free Little Pantry
Carver MS Free Little Pantry!
Please use the Carver MS Amazon Smile Link to provide direct donations to our community!
Thanks Carver Cougars!
Return to Learning Updates
Buses and car riders will begin arriving at the school building at 7:10 AM. The plan is to begin allowing students into the school building at this time (7:10 AM). A member of the team will be outside at both locations to make sure everyone knows when it is time to begin entering the building.
In order to dismiss in a safe and socially distanced manner, we will have three waves (Wave 1 (1:55) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters A-K, Wave 2 (2:00 PM) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters L-Z, and all of our students riding the school bus (2:05 PM).
Families who are picking students up – please do me the favor of being in the parent pick up loop at the appropriate time. I would ask that parents/families who are picking up in Wave 1 to begin arriving at 1:45 PM. Parents/families who are picking up students in Wave 2, please do not arrive at the school building until 1:55 PM. We will do our very best to make this a smooth process for everyone, but we know it will be a learning curve. We ask for your patience as we work to get the process more efficient during this first week.
3. Safety and Social Distancing
- We will not use lockers
- Students will be socially distanced in the hallways
- Students will be socially distanced when waiting on a bus or a car ride in the afternoon
- Masks are required at all times
- Shields are required when students are within 6 feet of one another in classrooms
- The daily health assessment – it is important that students do not come to school if they are not feeling well.
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Wells Athletic Association
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.4794 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!