Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of November 1st
- NO SCHOOL - Tuesday, November 2nd - due to a professional development day
- Ms. Debra Out of the Office - Wednesday, November 3rd - Tuesday, November 9th - continue to send attendance updates to email@example.com (or call the school at 614-365-6001). She will update attendance when she returns so you may ignore any absent notifications during this window.
- ***NEW DATE: Sensory & Self Regulation Strategies Session - has been rescheduled to Tuesday, November 16th @ 7p
- ***NEW UPDATE: ASYNCHRONOUS DAYS (AT HOME) - Monday, November 22nd and Tuesday, November 23rd - stay tuned for more details/assignments from classroom teachers
- Colerain Costume Parade - view video here: https://youtu.be/AgzmkQYXqIw
- Colerain Trunk or Treat - view video here: https://we.tl/t-mbta01fu8U?src=dnl - click on the .mp4 file in the white box to download/view. Note: The Trunk or Treat video was created by Mr. Thomas L. Melton from Nashville, TN. We do not own the rights to the included music.
Upcoming Colerain Events
- ***NEW DATE - Sensory & Self-Regulation Strategies for Use at Home - Tuesday, November 16th @7p
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Tuesday, November 9th and Thursday, November 18th - sign ups and zoom links will be sent by classroom teachers. In the meantime, please review the "How to Prepare for Parent/Teacher Conferences" Presentation below for some tips on how to get the most out of these valuable conversations.
- Colerain Intro to PBIS - Monday, November 15th @ 7p - PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) is an important and valuable framework at Colerain. It helps ensure a positive, predictable, safe, and equitable school environment for all students.
Therefore, we would like to use this session to introduce PBIS and why/how it is used at Colerain. ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/93912356119?pwd=ekxhQk0vZEdVSWNFNnRzRERTNTloZz09
- School Picture Retakes - Tuesday, November 16th
- Colerain PTA Meeting - Wednesday, November 17th @ 6p - ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/6539728100?pwd=QW8rMVJnZGluZmxtQkVXeCtacnUwQT09
Third Grade Reading Guarantee Parent Meeting (for 3rd Grade Families) - Wednesday, November 17th @ 6:30 PM - please join us to learn more about Ohio's Third Grade Reading Guarantee, reading improvement plans, how to support your child at home, and third grade testing. ZOOM LINK: https://ccsoh-us.zoom.us/j/84578598525
Staff Highlight - Cindy Zahler
Q: What is your role?
A: Program Secretary
Q: What is your responsibility?
A: Reviewing and helping teachers create IEP for their students as well as daily coordination of nurses and aids to support OI and MD students. You'll also find her friendly face in the office, welcoming families to Colerain.
Q: What do you want families to know?
A: I love spending time with family, especially my grand daughter and new grandson!
PBIS Tier 1
- PBIS Tier 1 is for ALL students and establishes the foundation for delivering regular, proactive support and preventing unwanted behaviors.
- The core practices guiding Tier 1 include:
- School-wide positive expectations and behaviors are taught
- Established classroom expectations aligned with school-wide expectations
- A continuum of procedures for encouraging expected behavior
- A continuum of procedures for discouraging problem behavior
- Procedures for encouraging school-family partnership
- Examples of Tier 1 at Colerain are:
- 3 Guidelines for Colerain All-Stars (“Be Respectful”, “Be Kind”, and “Be Your Best Self”)
- Zones of Regulation (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue)
- All Star Student of the Month
- Colerain Cash (and store)
A Sample of Colerain Student Art Work Adorning School Walls!
Colerain Robotics Club
- ***NEW: First meeting will be on Wednesday, November 3rd from 3:40p - 5p in the Colerain Library
- Future meetings will be on Tuesdays...same time and place
See flyer posted below for more details and REQUIRED permission slip.
Upcoming District/Community Events
- Ohio's Statewide Family Engagement Center Advisory Council - applications are now open. See flyer below for details - We are seeking a diverse group of parents and caregivers of children birth to Grade 12 from all regions of Ohio. Applications are limited to parents and caregivers who are not professional educators or administrators. We are looking for families that have children currently enrolled in public schools in Ohio.
***NEW - "Community Pop Up" Event - Thursday, November 4th from 1p - 3p at Broad Street United Methodist Church (501 E. Broad Street)
***NEW - SST 11 Family Engagement Series "Dyslexia Legislation Updates/ Supports" - Monday, November 15th from 6p - 7p - Register here: https://tinyurl.com/Family-Engagement-Series
CCS Facilities Master Plan Details
WE NEED YOUR VOICE! Please consider participating in this effort to re-image what our Columbus City Schools could look like!
Colerain is in REGION 4!!!
Phase 6 (Transform) - Wednesday, December 1st @ 6p at Whetstone High School
We will evaluate the options created in the Phase 5 - Consider workshop. What are the pros and cons of each option? We will break into small groups and evaluate what option makes the most sense for your region. Come be a part of live decision making and consensus building. Please request translation services when registering.
- Register here: tbd
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.