Friday, February 9, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
As a district, staff members preferred that we have our optional teacher make-up days at the end of the year. Please see the traditional calendar on the district website.
A reminder that this is the first year that 8th grade students enrolled in NC Math I will not be required to take the 8th grade Math EOG. Scores for students taking NC Math I in 8th grade will only count for the middle school and will not be banked for the high school. Please ensure that 8th grade Math teachers are preparing separate lessons for 8th grade Math and NC Math I.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS AND MATHEMATICS STANDARD COURSE OF STUDY UPDATES: An update on the roll-out of the K-12 English Language Arts and K-8 Mathematics Standard Course of Study (both scheduled for implementation during the 2018-19 school year) will be presented to the NC State Board of Education at their February meeting. To access the presentation materials or to listen in on the audio stream for any of the SBE meetings, please visit: https://stateboard.ncpublicschools.go
POWERSCHOOL should be updated weekly. This is a school and district expectation.
Check out this month's CTE Newsletter. Way to Go Spring Hill! https://www.smore.com/zkqrx
EC Teachers should send a list of meetings and dates for the remainder of the year to Mr. Dunham.
CELL PHONE CONFISCATION: Teachers who confiscate cell phones should be mindful that you are responsible for the phone in your care. Please lock phones in a secure location until turning over to the front office. Tape a note to the phone with student name, date, type of phone and teacher confiscating. Please do not give the phone to a third party to bring to the office.
Next week, Feb 12 -16, is Love the Bus Week! Be sure to thank a bus driver!
Please be reminded that administrators can only assign ISS. Teachers should not assign ISS, use ISS as a bounce, or for lunch detention.
If you need to move a student or two on your team from one homeroom to another, please speak with Mrs. Lewis. You will then need to notify the parent and Ms. Lynette so that she can make changes in Powerschool.
The common assessment window across the district was originally scheduled for Feb 13-15. The dates have been modified to adjust to the change in the calendar. The new window is Feb 20-23. We will extend the date to submit your common assessment. At the latest, common assessments are due to Estella Johnson on Tuesday, February 13th.
Are you interested in going to the NC Ties Conference (Technology)? If so, please let me know ASAP.
Magnet Showcase (6:30pm) and AIG Parent Interest Meeting (6:00) are on Tuesday, February 13.
- Continue to keep Nick (6th) and Zachary Johnson (8th) in your thoughts.
- Mrs. Macy will be out until the end of the month recovering from knee surgery. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
- Mr. John's (Custodian) dad has been through some rough times lately. He is 94 years old. Prayers for Mr. John and his family.
- Please welcome Ms. Arlene Grady next week, Monday, February 12th. She will begin as our new Art Teacher. Be sure to give her a Spartan welcome!
Dates for the Book Fair are Feb. 21-Mar 5. There will be a parent event that coincides with Parent Teacher Conference Day on February 22nd. Any student who brings a parent/guardian to look at Book Fair merchandise will be eligible for a $20 gift certificate to the Book Fair.
- Student are able to request club changes by emailing Ms. Brayboy.
- 2nd semester club meetings: February 16, March 2, March 9, April 13, April 20.
- Make sure to put your attendance roster from our first club meeting in Ms. Brayboy's box so it can be corrected.
Audrey Kingston and Ruth Ann Harris for helping with Magnet brochures and documents.
A big shout out to Leigh Carter for organizing our AIG visits at Elementary Schools.
Thank you to Bream, Allen and Hersey for an awesome Pep Rally. Kudos to Mrs. Allen for coordinating an awesome Homecoming too!!
Thanks so much for Donyetta Blue, Dorainer Davis, Jamie Bream and Dan Hersey for stepping up to the plate and helping with administration while we were out of the building.
Thank you to Mrs. Brayboy and Audrey Kingston for organizing and decorating for Doughnuts for Dads! We had a great turn out!
A huge shout out to our coaches that put in extra time and work with our athletes! You are appreciated...Hersey, Cain, Lawson, Allen!
Thank you to all staff members for putting forth effort to make Spartan Time work. Hopefully, we will get all of the bugs out this week.
Woo Hoo to Tiffany Spencer and Audrey Kingston for ensuring our Awards Program was done well! A big thank you to our custodians, Mr. Hersey, Ms. E. Johnson for your help!!!!
- Utilizing your Canvas course container is an effective way to continue instruction during school closing or delays. If they have questions or need guidance, please direct them to either Kevin Combs or Candice Freeman for assistance.
Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
Major tax adjustments were passed by the federal government and therefore you will see changes in your check. IRS is telling software providers not to implement the changes until February, as new software programs are being written based on new tax law. The majority of the changes will come in your 2018 and 2019 taxes.. For any questions, contact Jay Toland,
From Cabinet- just a reminder that your teachers should be entering their own absences in AESOP. The school bookkeeper or no other staff should be putting in absences for anyone unless there is an emergency that arises.
- Teachers, please look at your grades for the 2nd Nine Weeks. Do you have a lot of student failures? Are you giving students opportunities to retake tests, as written in the district policy? Large number of failures may indicate we need to reflect. This should be corrected for 2nd Nine Weeks.
- Do you have paper on your door or covering your door window? If so, please remove due to fire code violations.
- (From Cabinet) ATTENDANCE - Staff attendance has dropped each month. I appreciate the fact that you are making doctor's visits after school and making instructional time a priority. Let's look for an increase in January and February!
IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
Saturday, February 10- Wrestling match at Highland Middle in Sanford at 10:00am
Monday, February 12- Boys Basketball at Sandy Grove at 4:30; Girls Basketball at Anson at 4:30
Tuesday, February 13 - ELA/SS/Science PLCs; AIG Magnet Showcase (Rescheduled from January 30) @6:30pm - Students are required to attend
Wednesday, February 14- District Mid-Year Review (administration and SIT reps); Elective House Meeting @ 12:30pm
Thursday, February 15- Math PLCs; PBIS Module 3 Training (select teachers)
Friday, February 16- Clubs; PBIS Module 3 Training (select teachers)
Tuesday, February 20- ELA/SS/Science PLCs; SIT Meeting 4:00
Wednesday, February 21- Electives Meeting at 12:30; Progress Reports go Home; MTSS Meetings during Planning
Thursday, February 22- 1/2 Day Parent-Teacher Conferences
Friday, February 23- Field Trips to Marksmen Hockey Game
Tuesday, February 27- Chocolate Fundraiser Pizza and Glow Party 12:00pm; ELA/SS/Science PLCs
Wednesday, February 28- Black History Month Program Assembly (morning assembly schedule)