Wednesday, May 15, 2019
JUNE HOT LUNCH FORMS
BIG THANK YOU
We have the classroom winners! We had two classes that were within $5 of each other so we decided to reward both classes. Mrs. Andino’s Spanish Kindergarten Class and Mrs. Vredevoogd’s 3rd grade class have won the pizza and ice cream party!
Thank you for the the donations that you collected for the WAJAT, look to next week's newsletter for the final count of the money we raised!
RETIREMENT OPEN HOUSE
2019-2020 CLASS/HOMEROOM ASSIGNMENTS
Legacy Christian anticipates the following class arrangements for the 2019-2020 school year:
- 2 Day Multi-Age Preschool
- 3 Day Multi-Age Preschool
- 3 Day 4 Year Old Preschool
- Young Fives (formerly called DK)
- English Kindergarten
- Spanish Immersion Kindergarten
- English 1st Grade
- Spanish Immersion 1st/2nd Combination
- English 2nd Grade
- English 3rd Grade
- Spanish Immersion 3rd Grade
- English 4th Grade
- 5th Grade
- 5th/6th Grade Combination
- 6th Grade
- 7th Grade (Section A)
- 7th Grade (Section B)
- 8th Grade (Section A)
- 8th Grade (Section B)
Parent Communication Forms, inviting parental input, are available in either school office for parents with young people in our current 4th-7th grades. These forms allow parents to bring various considerations to our teachers’ minds while they are forming class lists for 2019-2020. Completed forms are due back in the school office by May 24. Class lists, along with our back to school packets, will be mailed to all LCS families on August 8, 2019.
JOIN US AND HELP US PROMOTE LEGACY!
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44A8AA2BA13-cutlerville5 Please note: Young students MUST be accompanied by an adult! Candy donations should be dropped off in either school office by Wednesday, June 5. If you have any questions, please contact Kim Zwyghuizen (616-455-3860).
WEST CAMPUS NEWS AND NOTES
- IPOD Worship - May 15 - Mrs. Lyzenga NEXT: May 24 - All School Small Groups
- WC Worship - May 15 - Last Small Group NEXT: May 24 - All School Small Groups
- Our Annual Pops Concert (west campus performs for the elementary students) is scheduled for Thursday, May 23, at 1:30 pm, at the west campus.
- 8th Grade Graduation - Legacy Christian will be holding its 8th grade graduation on Tuesday, June 4, 2019, at 7:00 pm. The ceremony will be held at Corinth Reformed Church. The church is located at 129 - 100th St., SE, Byron Center, MI, 49315. Come and celebrate this special day with Legacy Christian, the 8th graders and their families!
- 8th grade class trip to Cedar Point is scheduled for Tuesday, May 28. All students need to be at the west campus by 5:45 am. The bus will leave promptly at 6:00 am. Students can be picked up at 12:00 am. There is NO SCHOOL for 8th graders on Wednesday, May 29.
Future 7th/8th Grade Parents—Next summer there will be the bi-annual Washington DC Trip. The trip is for any interested 7th/8th grade student and their families. We will be going with a group from Byron Center Christian. The date for the trip is June 9-13, 2020. There will be an informational meeting next Fall at Byron Center Christian Middle School. Please come if you are interested! Curt DeYoung will be traveling with the Legacy group. If you have any questions, please contact Curt DeYoung at email@example.com. An informational flyer is attached to the newsletter and available in the office.
ELEMENTARY NEWS AND NOTES
- Weekly Worship - May 17 - Mrs. Huerter/Mrs. Morren
Next: May 24 - Mr. Haagsma - Favorite Songs
- Please check the Lost and Found table near the office. There are many items that need to be "found" before the end of the school year! All items that are not claimed will be donated!
4th Grade West Campus Visit: 4th graders are looking forward to visiting the west campus next week Wednesday afternoon. Parents are welcome to meet the students at the west campus and participate in the tour also. On May 22, 4th graders will be arriving at the west campus at about 1:15 pm. They will meet with Mr. Bonnema and the office personnel. They will then tour the west campus and visit the 5th grade Wax Museum before returning to the elementary campus.
- All incoming Kindergarten, Young 5's and Preschool parents for 2019-20, please remember to have a green health form filled out over the summer with your doctor’s stamp or signature on it. There will be a form included in your enrollment packet. A new form is required every year for the “early childhood” classes. PLEASE NOTE—If your child has an immunization waiver you will need to make an appointment with the Kent County Health Dept. We can no longer supply necessary paperwork out of the school office. All health forms will need to be turned in to the school office before your student can begin classes in the fall. School starts on Aug. 26, 2019.
- Students should return all library books by Friday, May 24. Please search your home and vehicle to find all the books that your child has checked out. You may want to make a trip to the public library to get some books for your child to read during the last few weeks of school!
Elementary Field Day 2019 will be held on Wednesday, June 5, and we will need volunteers to help run the different events that will take place. We need your energy! Activities will begin after lunch, approximately 12:00-2:50 (we are asking volunteers to show up at 11:45 to set up, IF ABLE; if you cannot make it that early, do not let that deter you!). If interested in volunteering, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0D45AEAC28A7FF2-field or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPORTS SCHEDULE
(All meets are at Unity Christian - Field events start at 4:00 and running events at 4:30 pm)
MAY 21 - MEET - UNITY CHRISTIAN
JUNE 1 - CONFERENCE MEET - UNITY CHRISTIAN
-FIELD EVENTS START AT 9:00 AM AND RUNNING AT 10:00 AM
-$2/PERSON OR $5/FAMILY (ENTIRE FAMILY MUST ENTER AT THE SAME TIME)
TENNIS - (5:00 pm unless noted)
MAY 15 - UNITY CHR. - HOME
MAY 16 - NORTHPOINTE - HOME
Please note the following dates for our summer schedule:
- June 6, 13, 27
- July 11 & 25
- August 8, 15, 29
Cash and Carry is open on Thursdays from 7:45-10:00 am, at the west campus.
If you want information on how TRIP works or how to sign up for TRIP, please contact Melody Newhouse (243-6472) or email email@example.com. You can find a copy of the TRIP order form on the Legacy website under “Current Parents” heading, then click on “TRIP”.
The 2019 Colgate/Meijer playground challenge is underway. Help us win up to $750 in Meijer gift cards. VOTE for Legacy every day at https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/contests/colgatemeijerplayground2019 . You can vote once a day per email address. Do you have email addresses that you used to vote with in previous years? All of those addresses are still verified and can be voted with immediately. Voting is very easy and takes less than a minute! Currently we are in 4th place. Thanks to everyone who has been voting - keep up the great work!
Each oral care item that we send in during the contest also counts as a vote. What can we send in? Toothbrushes, toothbrush packaging, toothpaste tubes and caps, toothpaste boxes, mouthwash containers, floss picks and floss containers. ANY and ALL brands and ALL sizes are accepted. These and all other TerraCycle items can be dropped off in the rollout located by the TRIP office at the west campus or at the TerraCycle center by the gym at the elementary.
MOMS IN PRAYER
Join us this Friday at 8:45 to pray for our school and students. This week will pray for the school, students and the following staff members; Melody Newhouse, Bambi Lanting & Brittany Huerter. As always, you are welcome to submit prayer requests anytime to Gina Huizingh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAMILIES BEING PRAYED FOR THIS WEEK BY LEGACY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
Prayer is a powerful gift! LCS has always been able to pray for requests as they arise. Our school has also decided to lift up families weekly in prayer. For the remainder of the school year please read which families are being covered in prayer. During that week each student will receive a prayer tag for them to keep and remember they are being covered in extra prayers.
Todd & Shelly Tubbs - Eli - 6th
- Steve & Jennie VandenBerg - Charlie - 5th, Blake - 2nd
- Mark & Melissa VanderMeulen - Leah - 6th, Drew - 2nd
- Ben & Erin VanderMeyden - Levi - 7th, Sam - 5th, Ryann - 1st
- Dan & Kim VanderMolen - Easton - 8th, Ainsley - 1st
- Jason & Amber VanderMolen - Alyssa - 7th
- Justin & Stephanie VanderVeen - Ethan - 8th, Olivia - 4th
- Nick & Mackenzie VanderWilp - Wesley - PreK
Legacy Summer Stay-in-Shape Tutoring: Looking to keep your kids academically IN SHAPE through the summer? Summer Stay-In-Shape is a program designed to maintain or improve key grade level academic concepts and skills through individualized instruction. This will be available for students entering Kindergarten through 5th grades and will be available for both English and Spanish Immersion students. Our tutors will be LCS staff members, Lisa Boone, Laurie Bosma, and Erika Cole. All sessions will meet for either 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. 30 minute sessions will cost $15 and 60 minute sessions will cost $30. Registration forms will be available in the office and the newsletter starting May 15 and deadline for registration will be May 31. Any questions email Lisa Boone, LCS Educational Support Services teacher, at email@example.com.
Lacrosse Open House - Tuesday, June 11 (5:00-7:00 pm) in the SCHS Learning Gym. To find out more, visit https://southchristiansports.com/2019/05/10/lacrosse-open-house/. Meet the South Christian coaches and interact with the current and future players. Representatives from the Athlete's Connection will be on site for students to discuss and try out lacrosse equipment.
South Christian High School Tuition Assistance Benefit Flower Sale: Purchase a $25 Speyer's Farm Market gift card and $5 will be donated to the Tuition Assistance Fund. Gift cards can be purchased at the SCHS office and redeemed at Speyer's located at 6444 Eastern Avenue SE. Purchase gift cards for your spring flowers and summer fruits and vegetables! Sale ends May 25, but the gift certificates are good all season.
Retirement Open House, Wednesday, May 29, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm, SCHS Rotunda - After 39 years in education, George Guichelaar is retiring. Join us as we celebrate his dedication and hard work at SCHS! If you are unable to attend, please feel free to send a note of encouragement to George at firstname.lastname@example.org and the notes will be given to him at the event.
South Christian Drama presents its summer drama camp on June 10-14. The camp runs from 9:00 am-3:00 pm each day with a 1:30 pm performance on Friday. Sign-up sheets are available in the office. If you need more information, email Mr. DeWeerd at email@example.com. Thank you!
Summer TENNIS Camps! Sailor Youth Tennis camps will again be available for kids exiting grades K-4. The sessions are June 17-21 OR July 8-12 at the SCHS Sports Park. **Coach Klaasen has a separate form for Middle & High schoolers, for evenings the week of June 17-21. Please use that session for your older students. Details, contact and registration info is available at either school office or go to www.southchristiansports.com, under Programs and Camps. Contact Jayne Boerman with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Dates and Events
19 - Retirement Open House at West Campus (2:00-4:00 pm)
23 - POPS Concert at West Campus (1:30 pm)
23/24 - Last Days of Prek Classes
27 - NO SCHOOL - MEMORIAL DAY
28 - 8th Grade Cedar Point Trip
29 - 8th Grade - NO SCHOOL
31 - Enrollment Packets Due
30/31 - 8th Grade Projects
3 - 8th Grade Projects
4 - 8th Grade Graduation
4-5 - 7th Grade Exams
5 - Elementary Field Day
6 - IPOD to Millenium Park
6 - 7th Grade Trip to Michigan Adventure