February 11, 2022
We have headed into the 5th week of the 2nd semester and the long haul to get to Spring Break. I ask that you continue to encourage your student(s) to keep driving forward and making GREAT days at Chattahoochee! Like the beginning of a new school year, should your student be struggling or falling behind, please have them or yourself communicate with their teacher and/or counselor sooner than later.
Please be on the look out for an email from our PTSA which will be requesting assistance with donations for the CHS Staff Appreciation Week during the week of March 14th. If you have the ability to donate any gifts or gift card donations not addressed to any specific staff, the PTSA would greatly appreciate it. Please send any donations to Dr. Ingrid Parham, Assistant Principal.
Just a SHOUT OUT to our School Counselors as we close the National School Counselors week! Don't worry, you still have time to give them a note of thank you (Saturday may be the true end of the week).
All the best,
Dr. Mike Todd
Take Attendance Seriously
**Follow district COVID protocol and use the Parent Reporting Portal to make a COVID-19 report**
Sick kids should stay home from school if they have a fever, are nauseated, vomiting, or have diarrhea. Be sure to be sure to turn in medical notes excusing your child for the days they are absent from school. Otherwise, it's important that kids arrive at school on time every day. If your child is missing a lot of school due to illness, make sure to check with the teachers about any work that needs to be completed. Also, check in with your child to ensure they're caught up on missed assignments and to see if they need assistance and/or support to complete them. Reach out to your child's teachers or School Counselor for assistance when necessary. Help Your Child Succeed in School: Build the Habit of Good Attendance! School success goes hand in hand with good attendance!
CHS Teacher of the Year and Support Professional of the Year
Congratulations to our TOTY and SPOTY Finalists! The winners will be announced next week.
Teacher of the Year
Support Professional of the Year
ACT Day - Tuesday, March 8th
ACT Day is Tuesday March 8, 2022. On that day:
- All 9th & 10th graders should report to school for a normal school day
- 12th graders will stay home for a virtual asynchronous day
- 11th graders reporting who are not taking the ACT will spend the day in a supervised study hall
- ACT Test Takers will report by 8:00AM – these families should be on the lookout for a detailed email on Friday 2/11 containing their room/proctor assignment and their unique, nine-digit ACT student code
Questions? Reach out to Mr. Abelkop at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Counselors are halfway through their individual scheduling meetings with all 9th – 11th graders and will finish on February 17th. Parents/guardians who have questions about their student’s course requests for the 22-23 school year can schedule a quick 10-minute virtual meeting on Teams with their student’s counselor using the electronic links shared below. Course requests for the 22-23 school year can be viewed in Infinite Campus – click on Academic Planner. After we finish the 10-minute scheduling meetings, further changes to course requests will be closed. The next time students will be able to change course requests will be on Information Day in August, and at that point, they will be subject to availability.
· 2/16 - Counseling Seminar #2 - Hope & Zell Miller Scholarship Information at 5:00 pm - Teams link: https://bit.ly/SeminarFeb162022
· 2/22 - 2/25 – 10-minute virtual scheduling meetings on Teams available for parents/guardians to discuss scheduling for the 22-23 school year – please schedule with your student’s specific counselor:
- Ms. Chilson – Last names A – Daq - https://chilson.appointlet.com/s/10-minute-scheduling-appointment
- Ms. Johnson – Last names Dar – Hel - https://johnsons-students.appointlet.com/s/10-min-scheduling-appointment
- Ms. Fitzsimmons – Last names Hem – Mar - https://ms-fitzsimmons.appointlet.com/s/quick-meeting-about-schedules
- Ms. Blount – Last names Mas – Sah - https://blount.appointlet.com/s/10-minute-scheduling-meeting
- Ms. Jones – Last names Sai – Z - https://jones.appointlet.com/s/10-minute-scheduling-meetings
· 2/23 - Dual Enrollment Help Session – students must complete Step 1: DE Interest Form in Naviance to be invited! Teams link will be sent to those students and their parents/guardians via email.
- 3/16 - Counseling Seminar #3 - College Search Process @ 5:00 pm - Teams link: https://bit.ly/SeminarMar16
- 3/22 - Dual Enrollment Help Session – students must complete Step 1: DE Interest Form in Naviance to be invited! Teams link will be sent to those students and their parents/guardians via email.
- 3/31 - Dual Enrollment DEADLINE for upcoming school year – all DE info can be found at https://ChattahoocheeDE.weebly.com
- 4/20 - Counseling Seminar #4 - Career Exploration @ 5:00 pm - Teams link: https://bit.ly/SeminarApr20
5/11 - Counseling Seminar #5 – Counseling Q&A for topics not previously covered @ 5:00 pm - Teams link: https://bit.ly/SeminarMay11
Student Success Skills
Student Success Skills will be taught in all schools, by all teachers, to all students. There are six skills that are broken down into several standards across grade levels. Teaching Student Success skills will support students in creating a foundation for managing emotions, healthy relationships, understanding and empathizing with others, being responsible and safe, and learning to cope with difficult situations.
You may log in and view these lessons through your child’s account (see graphic below). Upcoming lessons focus on Social Competence & Collaborative Problem Solving.
Chattahoochee National Honor Society
Buy Your Yearbook Now
Yearbooks are currently on sale and can be purchased through Jostens.com. The deadline to guarantee a copy is 2/21. Supplies are limited and we sold out last year, so be sure to order your book today!
Wrestling – Durben Carpenter has qualified for the GHSA state championships that are held in Macon, Ga. Thursday February 10th and 11th. Best of luck to him as he represents Hooch Wrestling.
Girls Basketball – 8-17 overall record, 3-11 in region play. The team finished 7th in the region and will play Johns Creek HS this Saturday at 4:00pm at Riverwood HS in the first round of the Region Tournament.
Boys Basketball – 14-11 overall record, 7-7 in region play. The team finished 4th in the region and will play the 5/8 seed winner on Tuesday February 15th at 7:30pm at Sequoyah HS in the first round of the region tournament.
Swim & Dive – The team competed at the GHSA state championship last week at Ga. Tech. Girls Swim team made the finals in the 200 Medleys. The team was made up of Seema Chavis, Danielle Urban, Quincy Maley, and Julia Scott. The boys swim team finished 4th in the 400 Free relay, Eddie Choi 4th in 100 backstroke, Logan Calhoun 11th in 200 Free and 12th in 100 backstroke, Daniel Gonzales 5th in 100 Breast stroke, and Thomas Lenston 6th in 100 breast stroke. Great job everyone!!!
Baseball – They kick off their season Monday at Northview HS at 5:30pm
Boys Tennis – 2-2 overall record. They’ve recorded wins over Milton and Denmark! Off to a great start!
Track & Field – Opens their season Saturday February 19th @ the Roswell Opener. Wish them luck!
Boys Lacrosse – 0-0 overall record, 0-0 in area play. They kicked off their season Thursday February 10th @ home vs. North Gwinnett. Their next game is @ Wesleyan School on Friday 2/11/22.
Girls Lacrosse – 1-0 overall record, 0-0 in area play. They beat Lambert in their 1st regular season contest. Next up is @ Creekview 2/15/22.
Golf – Season started this week. Looking forward to a great season!
Boys Soccer – 0-2-1 overall record, 0-0 in region play. Next game is Friday 2/11/22 @ home vs. Alpharetta.
Girls Soccer – 3-1 overall record, 0-0 in region play. The girls are currently ranked #10 in the state! Their next game is Friday 2/11/22 @ Roswell HS.
Korean Parents Luncheon
Administrators and Department Chairs
Jonathan Adel - ELA and Fine Arts
David White; ELA; Whitedp@fultonschools.org
Lori Buonamici; Fine Arts; BuonamiciL@fultonschools.org
Garrett Abelkop - Math, PE, World Language, and TAG
Beth Smith; Math; Smithec@fultonschools.org
J.J. Hicks; PE; Hicksj@fultonschools.org
Nadia Ali; World Language; Aliahmady@fultonschools.org
Amanda Wile; TAG; Wile@fultonschools.org
Gwen Harris - Science and CTAE
Matt Mihordea; Science; Mihordea@fultonschools.org
Kylie Dayton; CTAE; Daytonk@fultonschools.org
Ingrid Parham - Social Studies and IRR
Tim Reeder; Social Studies; Reedert@fultonschools.org
Jeanne Dongieux; IRR; Dongieux@fultonschools.org