Analyze the story based on the Marxist criticism
- Bourgeoisie( the upper class )
- Proletariat ( working class )
- Strengths of Marxist Theory
Marxist Theory is focusing on the society as an entirety in order to present all the power of society that involves.
It can show the power interests of different groups.
It can analyze the society’s conflicts and changes easily.
It indicates and emphasizes the different classes’ struggle between the proletariat (workers, vulnerable groups) and bourgeoisie (owners, powerhouse who take the lead)
Realize the society is separated and organized based on capitalism, which the bourgeoisie take use of proletariat to reach the maximize profit.
- Weaknesses of Marxist Theory
It can hardly explain exist certain phenomena.
It ignores the opinions that other factors may help to form and build the society.
The Marxist Theory has been famous for long. It may not fit for the present society because of time, places and the background. It has its own limitation.
General Questions Used to Apply
- Who has power in the text? How does this power operate and change as the text progresses?
- What" master" or " dominant social narratives are perpetuated or critiqued and disrupted in the text (For example, the American dream, whereby, with hard work and individual effort, a poor woman can achieve success.)
- At what point(s) do the characters recognize the oppressiveness of the prevailing social order?
- How do they respond? What affects their options for changing things?