Alyssa Grijalva P.5
4 key facts
- Plato's birth was around 428 B.C.
- Both his mother and father came from Greek aristocracy.
- Plato founded an academy in 387 B.C., which later became his.
- His academy was for higher learning in the Western world.
Beliefs of government and society
Plato believed that everyone must be assigned a role, and are expected to fulfill their role properly. He favored aristocracy that would be ruled by philosopher kings, although he knew not all societies could maintain it. Plato viewed humans as rational creatures, and that the human body was created intended for needs.
Although Plato's ideal form of government was aristocracy, ruled by philosopher kings, I think I would've chosen it either way because he wanted every philosopher to be in charge and rule because he believed philosophers were perhaps smarter than others, and that they had the right to rule.
- "Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they want to say something."
- "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."