As parents and educators we want to keep our children safe online an help teach them how to achieve a respectable online profile. Litchfield Public Schools is working hard to prepare students for the future by allowing them to use the immense power of internet resources to create, connect, and learn while being responsible online. This is an ongoing process, certain safety tips aren’t appropriate to teach at all ages and it requires reinforcement, sometimes consequences and help from experts, neighbors and friends.
- Being a parent requires us to be aware of what our children are being exposed to on the internet, social media sites and gaming platforms. It is fast changing and it can be difficult to keep up and understand. The good news is you don’t need to ‘know it all’. Being involved, having conversations with your child, asking to see the device they are using and what they are doing with it will guide them towards responsible choices.
- If you need a trusted resource to help navigate you through what your child is doing online, try commonsensemedia.org. They provide ratings and reviews for websites, games, apps, movies, books, TV shows and music for all age groups. At Litchfield Public Schools we utilize www.commonsensemedia.org and additional resources to teach digital citizenship.
- Parental controls, and filters are also an option for support, but always remember they are not 100% effective. You can search the internet for “parental controls on all devices” to find many resources like www.webwise.ie for directions on ‘how to add a parental control’. Litchfield Public School devices that come into your home have a built-in filter, but again nothing is more effective than talking to your child about internet safety.
Parent Portal - Emergency Notifications
- If you have NOT been receiving messages, please check that you have the correct preferences marked.
- These preferences cannot be changed from a mobile device. You must use a computer or contact the school office.
Students at LMS & LHS also have their own login for Student Portal. Students can visit the media center if they need assistance with their Student Portal login.