The Nashua News
March is upon us and so is Spring! I know everyone is looking forward to continuing this warm weather and longer days! We are in full swing preparing for the upcoming MAP testing. The window for testing this year will be from April 9-April 27th. All the assessments will be completed online. Along with preparing for the MAP testing, our students continue to engage in authentic learning activities at all grade levels. They are also working hard developing key social skills that will make them successful inside and outside the classroom. As we begin looking forward to the next school year, you will find some updates and information in this newsletter. If you or someone you know has a future STAR at home who will be ready for kindergarten next year, our Kindergarten Round-Up is scheduled for March 29th. Also, we will be celebrating Read Across America the first week in March. Our Family Reading Night is scheduled for March 1st from 6:30-7:30 pm. It’s always a busy time here at Nashua, our staff and students work hard every single day to make sure learning is happening at high levels. As I say every month in these newsletters, it is an honor to serve as the principal of Nashua Elementary!
6:30-7:30 pm Reading Night
State Wide Tornado Drill
Major Saver Kick-Off
St. Mary's College presents Charlotte's Web Assembly
6:30 pm 1st grade Music Program at New Mark
5:00 pm PTA Budget Meeting
6:00 pm PTA meeting
6:00 pm 5th grade Strings and Music program at Nashua
NO SCHOOL-Spring Break
6:00-7:30 pm Kindergarten Round-Up
Nashua Celebrates Read Across America
Read Across America Day is the nation’s largest reading event, occurring each year on or near *Dr. Seuss’s birthday (March 2). Nashua Elementary will be celebrating with a Spirit Week full of fun! Students are encouraged to read at least 20 minutes or more each night and to participate in the upcoming spirit days!
Monday: Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book – Wear PJ’s
Tuesday: The Cat in the Hat – Hat day
Wednesday Wacky Wednesday – Wear mixed up clothes and/or crazy hair
Thursday: *Thing 1/Thing 2 – Twin day: dress like a friend
Friday: Oh the Places You’ll Go – Wear your favorite college gear or colors
Call all Future Stars!
We are currently enrolling new kindergartners! If you have a future Nashua Star at home who will turn five before August 1st, please call the office at 321-5160. Mark your calendars for Mach 29th from 6:00-7:30 pm! We will be having our annual Kindergarten Round-Up! Meet our Kindergarten team, some of our Encore Staff, tour the building, and take a bus ride around the neighborhood! It’s planning to be a boot scootin’ good time!
2017-18 Class Placements
Class placement is a team decision here at Nashua with many factors taken into consideration. If you feel your child has specific needs to be considered, please fill out the Parent Input Form for Student Placement and return it to the office by Tuesday, April 11th. WE DO NOT HONOR SPECFIC TEACHER REQUESTS! The forms are available in the office or electronically for easy access. Please email Mrs. Stukey at email@example.com
· March 13 in the Library: 2018-19 Budget Meeting at 5 PM, PTA Meeting at 6 PM, Family Fun Night Game Maker Meeting at 7 PM - all are welcome to all three meetings!
2018-19 Budget Meeting:
· PLEASE RSVP (on Facebook or to firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are coming to the budget meeting at 5 PM on Mar 13. The budget meeting will include dinner for attendees - free pizza from Papa John's. Thank you to Papa John's for their support of Nashua this year!
Family Fun Night:
· Family Fun Night Game Makers needed! FFN is on May 4th - set up at 4:30 PM. Make a game for one of these classrooms for Family Fun Night. Sign up at bit.ly/NashuaClassVolunteers. More info about Family Fun Night at bit.ly/NashuaFFN.
· Not sure about being a Game Maker? Need more info? Already signed up (THANK YOU!), but have questions? Please come to our Game Maker Meeting on March 13th at 7 PM in the library (following the PTA meeting). We will have a door prize drawing for attendees!
· If you have already signed up to be a Game Maker, and you know what your class' game will be, please send the name of your game to email@example.com. Also let us know if you will need a school table for your game.
· Know a teen who needs service hours? We need middle and high school kids to help run the games on May 4th. It's an easy and fun way to earn service hours. Teens can sign up at this link: bit.ly/NashuaFFNHours
· McTeacher Night on Thu, Apr 5 from 4 - 8 PM; Nashua PTA will receive 20% of all sales
· Chipotle Night on Mon, May 14 from 4 - 8 PM; Nashua PTA will receive 50% of sales accompanied by our flier
· Yearbook Photo Reps needed for these classrooms. Take pictures at class parties, field trips, etc. Sign up at bit.ly/NashuaClassVolunteers.
· You don't have to be a yearbook rep to submit photos - if you take photos at any Nashua events, we'd love to have them! You can submit them online or use the yearbook app - see instructions at bit.ly/NashuaYearbook.
· 2018-20 2nd Vice President / Family Fun Night Chair
· 2018-20 Treasurer
· Fall 2018 Back to School Night Co-Chair
· 2018-19 Cookie Receptions Chair
· 2018-19 Mercury Gym Night Chair
· 2018-19 Reflections Chair
· 2018-19 Restaurant Nights Chair
· Spring 2019 5th Grade Sock Hop Chair
· Job Descriptions: bit.ly/NashuaPTAContact
· Contact Robyn Tuwei at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or have questions