News From the Nest
Evansdale Weekly Newsletter - February 15th Edition
Regular School Day Tomorrow - February 16th ... No School Monday, February 19th
Stay Healthy and Ready to Learn ... A Message from DCSD
The DeKalb County School District encourages its students, staff and community to take proper precautions to avoid illness during flu season. Influenza is a communicable disease, and each of us must be vigilant in not only protecting ourselves, but each other.
Below is a helpful graphic from Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta that includes tips on how to be safe. DCSD also offers the following information, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to keep you informed.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
Evansdale Needs Your Feedback ...
Georgia Parent Climate Survey:
Two Wing Salute to the Black History Quiz Bowl Team!
Ms. Saltzman & Mrs Stradford
Black History Bowl Sponsors
It's Time for Kindergarten Roundup!
** As a Reminder, Kindergarten Students Must be 5 Years Old on or by September 1, 2018
Important Pre-K Lottery Information
Parents will be allowed to register for the Pre-K Lottery, March 12-16, 2018, at Evansdale so that time will be afforded to ensure all documents are checked correctly and verified prior to the lottery. The Lottery will be held on Tuesday, March 20th @ 1:15pm (the same time as last year). Specific times and further information will be coming soon.
To complete the application process, the following documentation is required (at the time of application):
- Official Proof of Birth (Birth Certificate, Passport, Hospital Record of Live Birth, Green Card, Pink Card, or Federal I-94 Card)
- Parent/Guardian Identification
- Child's Social Security Number
- Proof of Residency* (Current Gas, Electric, or Water Bill; Signed Lease Agreement; and/or Signed Home Mortgage Contract)
* Note: In the event of co-residency, an Affadavit of Residence must be completed by the parent(s)/legal guardian
If your child is selected for a seat through the lottery, this additional documentation will be required:
- Current Immunization Certificate (GA Form 3231)
- Current Hearing, Vision, Dental, and Nutrition Certificate (GA Form 3300)
- Copy of Social Security Card or Signed Waiver
- Evansdale Registration Packet
To be eligible for the Pre-K Lottery, students must be 4 years old on or before September 1, 2018. A prospective student is only eligible to participate in the lottery at the home school that serves the student's address for the 2018-19 school year. Visit www.dekalbschoolsga.org to determine your student's home school.
With Over 100 Participants, "Nifty Numbers" Family Math Night Was Truly Nifty!
By our calculations, math night was a huge success!
Staff + Students + Families = A Sum of Fun for Everyone
Georgia Milestones EOG Testing Dates Announced ....
- 04/10 - ELA Section 1
- 04/11 - ELA Section 1
- 04/12 - ELA Sections 2 & 3
- 04/13 - ELA Sections 2 & 3
- 04/16 - MAKE-UP DAY
- 04/17 - Mathematics Sections 1 & 2
- 04/18 - Mathematics Sections 1 & 2
- 04/19 - Science Sections 1 & 2 (Grades 5 & 8)
- 04/20 - Social Studies Sections 1 & 2 (Grades 5 & 8)
- 04/23 - MAKE-UP DAY
Teacher Appreciation Lunch, February 23rd - 1st Grade Volunteers Needed
Please click on this link to volunteer: www.signupgenius.com/go/8050d4eaeaf2e5-teacher4
Spring Registration is Now Open for CFC After School Soccer
- Meeting Dates: March 6, 13, 20, 27, April, 10, 17, 24, May 1 2:30-3:45pm at Evansdale
- Field Fee: $100.00 (includes snack).
- Players should come dressed to play with tennis shoes or cleats and must have shin guards
Registration Link: http://www.chiefsfc.org/Default.aspx?tabid=253146
All of Chiefs FC After School Soccer staff have played in college or professionally and are USSF licensed. If you would like more information on any Chiefs FC Programs, After School Clubs or leagues, please contact Neil McNab Jr at email@example.com.
Register online by logging in at www.chiefsfc.org
NOTE: Please do NOT turn form and fee in to the school!
Calling All Eagles ... Hawks Tickets = Money for Evansdale
Let's hoop it up at a Hawks game and make money for Evansdale at the same time! It's 2nd semester and discounted tickets for the 2nd half of the Hawks season are now available. Our school receives $5 for every ticket sold! It's that easy, just click on this link to buy tickets: http://www.nba.com/hawks/SCHOOLASSIST#
Enter both the students name and school name when checking out to receive credit for the purchase!
Students can also earn prizes! For more information on prizes and to order tickets, click on: http://www.nba.com/hawks/schoolassist . Once you're on the website, click the red box that says Fundraising games and buy tickets there. Again, don't forget to enter both the students name and school name when checking out to receive credit for the purchase!
Questions? Email Amy Appleman, PTA Fundraising President
Fernbank Planetarium's Black History Tribute "Head to the Sky"
“Head to the Sky” was produced in-house at Fernbank by members of our staff, and takes full advantage of our new Spitz 4K SciDome projection system.
The first public showing of “Head to the Sky” will be Thursday evening, February 15th, and it will be in our rotation through the end of February. Please check our planetarium schedule for specific dates and times: http://fsc.fernbank.edu/fsc.html
Save The Date(s) ...
02/16 Regular School Day (Inclement Weather Make-Up Day #1)
02/19 Presidents' Day, No School
02/22 Kindergarten Round Up, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
02/23 PTA Teacher Appreciation Lunch, Hosted by First Grade
02/27 Black History Program, 6 p.m.
02/28 AR 65% Cut Off
03/20 PreK Lottery
03/23 Evansdale Foundation Fundraiser at Vista Room (Details Coming Soon)
Chess Club at Evansdale
Coach Rodney Lewis and Championship Chess present a systematic, fun way to build chess skills during chess instruction and while students play. Studies show that chess improves math, reading and problem solving and our methods connect these academic benefits to our classes.
- · Day and Time: Fridays after school from 2:25 pm to 3:25pm. Pre-Registration required. Cost is $140
- · Dates: Spring session February 23 to May 4. No chess: April 6. Make up class for recent snow day is Feb 16
- · Parents need to record dates. Chess club will start as scheduled unless you receive a notification.
- · Who Can Play: There can be 2 groups: An advanced group open to all students who know how to play and a beginner group for non-players. There must be at least 10 registered in each group.
- REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DEADLINE
- EARLY registration cost by midnight, February 20: Online cost is $140 per child for this session.
- LATE registration from February 21: A $15 late fee is automatically added to your online registration.
- Payment ONLINE : Go to www.championshipchess.net
- Select: Register for School Clubs, follow the steps to complete the form to submit payment. Automatic 15% discount for each additional sibling.
- Family: World of Chess Achievement Cards Registered families have full access to our Championship Chess Website and World of Chess Game play. Once you’ve signed in at www.championshipchess.net be sure to click “GameSetup” so your child can travel through our Chess World from Powerful Pawns to Kickin’ Kings and compete for Achievement Cards. Cards will be awarded during club each week.
Chess contact: Coach Rodney 770-560-1071 firstname.lastname@example.org