Happy Friday Cougar Families!
I am excited to announce that we held our Annual New Student Lottery this morning! The good news is that we had more families submit an Intent to Enroll Online Application than we ever had before. It is always exciting sending the welcoming email to all of our new Cougar Families. We will be sending out emails this afternoon and please encourage anyone you know who got accepted to please begin the registration promptly. Only the completion of the registration process guarantees enrollment for the 2023-24 school year.
Unfortunately, increased demand also means that we have more families that aren’t going to get the news they were hoping for today. If you know a family that is placed on our lottery waiting list, they still have a strong chance of getting a call in March after the first wave of registration is complete.
The increased demand in new student enrollment serves as validation that everyone is doing their part to elevate our school. I would like to thank our wonderful community of families, students and staff for making Steele Canyon a great place to learn and work.
Have an awesome weekend!
Rah! Rah! Cougars!
- Saturday, February 25th: FAFSA Workshop - Lunch Provided
- Monday, February 27th: Airbands @ 7pm
- Monday, February 27th: Senior Yearbook Question Due
- Tuesday, February 28st: PIQE
- Tuesday, February 28th: Coffee with the Principal @ 8:30am in the Staff Lounge
- Wednesday, March 1st: Grad Nite Tickets on Sale 8:30-10am
- Wednesday, March 1st: Virtual Coffee with the Principal @ 5pm on zoom
- Wednesday, March 1st: Cuyamaca/Grossmont Application Workshop (sign up in Naviance)
- Wednesday, March 1st: Senior Cap/Gown Orders Due
- Thursday, March 2nd: FAFSA Due
- Friday, March 3rd: Senior Yearbook Tribute Due
- March 6th - 10th: National School Social Worker Week
- March 6th - 10th: Cougars Kick Ash Week
- Tuesday, March 7th: PIQE
- Friday, March 10th: End of Quarter 3, Minimum Day, Grades Close
- Saturday, March 11th: Car Show
- Monday, March 13th: Quarter 3 Break - No School
- Tuesday, March 14th: Quarter 4 Begins
- Tuesday, March 14th: PIQE
- March 14th - 17th: Check your Mood Week
- Wednesday, March 15th: Club Rush
- Wednesday, March 15th: School Site Council meeting @ 3:45pm
- Wednesday, March 15th: Governing Board Meeting @ 5pm
- March 16th - 18th & March 22nd - 24th: Fame Spring Musical
- Friday, March 17th: Spring Assembly Schedule
- Tuesday, March 21st: PIQE
- Thursday, March 23rd: Start Smart @ 6pm
- Saturday, March 25th: Senior Banquet
- March 27th - April 7th: Spring Break
Mark your calendars for the next PTO meeting on Tuesday, March 7th, at 5 p.m. in the Staff Lounge for our next meeting. If you are unable to attend in person, drop in via Zoom.
Wondering if you might be a good fit for one of our PTO Board positions for the 2023-24 school year. Feel free to reach out to us to learn more about the time commitment and responsibilities involved by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Being involved with PTO is a great way to meet other SCHS families and stay up to date on school news. PTO runs solely on volunteers; no prior PTA/PTO experience required. The following PTO positions are available: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Auditor, Parliamentarian, Membership Chair, Volunteer Chair, Fundraising Chair, Hospitality Chair, Social Media Chair, and Grade Level representatives.
Don't forget to follow our social media accounts (Instagram - schspto or Facebook - Steele Canyon High School PTO) or visit our website.
Our SCHS AIRBANDS competition is on Monday, February 27 at 7pm in the gym.
- VIP TABLES are $120/table and seat 8 people. VIP tables are available. Bring cash or checks made payable to “SCHS Airbands,” to Chelsea Yoshinaga in Room F106. Your guests get to enter through the VIP area entrance, sit right up front at the VIP tables with family & friends, and enjoy complimentary coffee & snacks, while watching the competition
- GENERAL ADMISSION TICKETS are $5, can be purchased at the Finance Office starting on Feb. 22. General admission seating will allow guests to watch the competition sitting in the gym bleachers with the student audience.
- IG / FB / YOUTUBE follow SCHS AIRBANDS on social media to get event info, group photos & airbands videos!
We are thrilled to be able to give the student airbands groups the opportunity to compete for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place on stage Monday, Feb. 27 in the gym. We will also enjoy special performances from Scratch and his crew, & your very own SCHS Staff. We hope to see you & your family & friends all come out to support your students at this exciting, family friendly, Steele Canyon event!
Sports, Sports, and More Sports
Red is away, blue is home! Rah Rah Cougars!
Help us have a “sunnie” start to our season! Students who attend our first gymnastics meet on Thursday March 2nd at 4:30pm will get a free pair of fun sunglasses and a candy bar!
GUHSD Spring Student Showcase
Date: Friday March 3rd 5-7:00pm
Featuring: Stand Out Artists selected by each participating Visual Arts Teacher in the GUHS District
Sponsored by: El Cajon Rotary
Where: Studio C Gallery 128 E. Main Street - Downtown El Cajon
Connection between Vaping, Cannabis use and Mental Health Webinar
The San Diego County Office of Education, Student Wellness & School Culture, in partnership with Transforming Mental Health Initiative at Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego, is offering a four-part Parent/Caregiver Mental Health Webinar Series.
The second webinar on vaping, cannabis use and mental health will take place on February 28, 2023, from 6-7 pm with simultaneous Spanish translation at no cost. Please see the attached flyers for more information.
We encourage you to share this flyer far and wide in your school communities so we can ensure families can participate.
Registration link: https://sdcoe.k12oms.org/918-230573
*ZOOM link will be emailed to participants prior to the training.
Please note that to receive presentation materials you must be present.
FAME THE MUSICAL
Don't miss the Steele Canyon Players and Instrumental Music Department's Spring Musical, FAME THE MUSICAL, March 16, 17, 22, 23, 24 @ 7PM, and March 18 @ 2PM, in our very own Steele Canyon Theatre! Reserve your TICKETS today: $10 reserved seats online, $15 at the door. Thank you for supporting the arts! We can't wait to see you in our audience!
Steele Canyon ofrece 2 talleres completamente en español para nuestros padres latinos a las 9:30 a.m. y 6 pm. atraves de Zoom.
Acompaneños a nuestro taller de PIQE Socio Emocional los martes a las 9:30 a.m. donde aprendara estrategias para apoyar a su estudiante con sus emociones, confianza en si mismos y como guiarlos a tomar decisiones responsables.
En el taller PIQE Acceso Auna Educacion Superior a las 6pm aprendera sobre los requisitos de graduacion y de admision a la universidad, ayuda financiera para el colegio/universidad y mas.
Comuniquese con la Sra.Jaggard email@example.com si tiene alguna pregunta.
Financial Aid Workshops - Still, need to complete your FAFSA?
You have until March 2, 2023 to apply but you should complete it earlier. The earlier you get it done, the more financial aid that is available to you. Don't forget this is a requirement to be eligible for a Cal-Grant and graduation.
Last FAFSA workshop is on Saturday, 2/25. They will be presented by Grossmont College staff. There is a 50-person maximum per session. Students, please RSVP in Naviance under FAFSA!
Attention All Seniors - Planning to Attend Cuyamaca or Grossmont in Fall 2023!
Griffin-Coyote Connection 2023 Fall Workshop is right around the corner.
Griffin-Coyote Connection is a program designed to provide high school seniors with the resources and services they need to smoothly transition from high school to Cuyamaca and Grossmont Colleges. It is a series of three workshops where a team of staff members and counselors will walk you through the enrollment process step by step. You must sign up in Naviance in order to participate.
For more information see Mrs. Cook
Drive Safe - the Cougar Way
Friendly reminder to drive cautiously as you enter and exit the campus. Campus Supervisors are here to keep the traffic moving - please follow all traffic directions from security personnel. Reminder that we do not provide access for cars at the back of the school during the school day.