Westside Middle School Newsletter
October 21, 2022
2022-23 WMS Administration:
Kim Eymann - Principal email@example.com
Jordan Rhodes - Assistant Principal (Dean 7C, 8A). firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenni Allen - Assistant Principal and Special Services Department Chair. email@example.com
Dan Carlson - Dean and Athletic Director (Dean 7A, 7B, 8C). firstname.lastname@example.org
Kellon Johnson - Dean (7D, 8B, 8D). email@example.com
Please remember to call the school if your student will not be attending 402-390-6464. If your student is not feeling well it is important that they go through the nurse's office so we can keep accurate attendance information.
Important Powerschool Information
If you need a parent PowerSchool account created OR you need help with your parent PS Account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are using PowerSchool's mobile app, our school code is MJJN.
Homework Tracker and Powerschool
As a parent, please use Powerschool and homework trackers in order to find out assignments that your student should be working on. The homework tracker links are sent to parents each week.
African-American History Challenge
Westside Community Schools is excited to be part of the 100 Black Men of Omaha’s 23rd Annual African-American History Challenge! This event welcomes schools from around the Metro to participate in a quiz bowl style competition answering questions based on the text, “100 Amazing Facts About the Negro” by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Students will participate in review sessions (offered both during and after school) over the text and will conclude with a city wide Quiz Bowl where prizes are awarded in February 2023. This event is open to ALL students and if you are interested in participating, please contact email@example.com.
WMS Presents A Brothers Grimm
Come see our amazing students perform at the fall play, The Brothers Grimm.
Thursday, October 27th @ 7:00 pm
Friday, October 28th @ 7:00 pm
Admission: $5 = students and $7 = adults
On October 20, 8th graders will be completing the Self Directed Search during homeroom. The Self-Directed Search (SDS) is a career interest survey that asks questions about interests, aspirations, skills, and activities. From their responses, a three-letter Summary Code, which is based upon the Holland Career Theory, is generated. More information about the Self-Directed Search can be found here. As a follow up activity, counselors will be going into 8th grade classrooms the week of October 31 to provide students more information on Holland Codes and what they mean. Students will then be asked to research some possible career clusters based upon their three-letter SDS summary code. More information about career clusters can be found here. These activities will all lead into preparing students for Career Day in May.
School Lunch Information
Please remember that lunch and breakfast meals are not free this year. See below for free and reduced meals information.
You can add money to their lunch account either through my school bucks or they can bring in money to the cafeteria.
Any questions you may contact Liz Buckley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-390-8341.
Free & Reduced Meals Applications and Benefits
- Meal benefits are available for students whose family income meets requirements. If you think you may qualify or are interested in applying for Free or Reduced Price meal benefits, you can fill out an Application for Free/Reduced Meal Benefits.
- Students approved for reduced meal benefits can receive one breakfast meal for $.30 and one lunch meal for $.40.
- Students approved for free meal benefits receive one free breakfast and lunch daily.
- Extra items, such as ala carte items, an extra milk, or milk with lunch from home are not free and the student must have money in their account or cash to purchase these items.
- Students who qualify for free or reduced meals may also qualify to receive discounted fees for other district expenses such as bussing, band instruments, internet, activity fees, ACT/SAT testing fees, athletics/sports, class supplies, clubs, field trips, graduation fees, laptop maintenance, prom/social events, scholarships, uniforms, summer camps, and summer school. All children in the district benefit in areas beyond the lunch program when qualified applications exceed a certain percentage of the district’s enrollment.
- Families must reapply for meal benefits at the beginning of each school year. If you do not reapply, your benefits will end on September 28th, 2022.
- Families who receive SNAP benefits may be directly certified to receive free benefits by the state. If you have been directly certified, we will send you a letter notifying you that we have received certification from the state for your benefits. If you do not receive this letter each year, you must reapply.
- Online Applications at https://www.myschoolapps.com/
Before School Expectations
Student will not be allowed to enter the building until 7:30 am. We do allow them to enter and sit in the entryway if the temp is below 32 degrees. At 7:30 students will be able to either sit in the gym or the cafeteria until we dismiss at 7:50. Breakfast is served until 7:55. If your student comes after 7:55, they will need to enter through the main entrance.
We-Side Unified Information
We have two upcoming Unified events. Unified basketball will be held on Oct. 25th @ Swanson and Sensory Stations on Nov. 5th @ Oakdale.
Do you have extra clothes to donate?
It is not uncommon that our students may be in need of a clothing change for the day. Whether there is a bloody nose, spilled lunch, or other mishap, a student may need to switch a shirt or pants and a parent is unable to get away from work for the wardrobe change. As you go through your closets, keep us in mind for these gently used t-shirts, leggings, joggers or sweatpants that can be used by the students to get them through the day. Thank you!
It is hard to believe the holidays are right around the corner! Some families may find themselves in need of additional resources over the holiday season. Many Omaha area holiday resource programs begin their application process now and close at the end of the month. Please be sure to visit the Social Work Newsletter for options that may fit your family's situation. If you need assistance this holiday season, and are not receiving support from another organization, you can reach out to the School Social Worker, Kim Schenkelberg at 402-452-3147.
Annual AHERA Notice
The Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 (AHERA) requires each public school district to annually notify parents, staff, and employee groups of its asbestos management plans. A management plan is in place for Westside Middle School and is available for review either at the school building or at the Westside Service Center, 9437 J St. Omaha, NE.
This school building was originally inspected in the1980’s and re-inspected by a certified inspector every three years thereafter. The three-year re-inspection and a ceiling tile inspection was conducted in 2019, and periodic surveillance will be conducted as required. No abatement activities are currently in progress or scheduled for the 2022-2023 school year at this building.
The Designated Person responsible for managing the District’s AHERA compliance and the contact person for questions or to review a management plan is the Director of Facilities, Russ Olsen (402) 390-8331.
W-CLUB: JOIN TODAY
Make a gift that is meaningful to you to show you are proud to be part of Westside Community Schools. Funds raised through the W-CLUB get redistributed back into all Westside Community Schools. Every teacher has the opportunity to apply for W-Club grants annually. Westside Middle School has received funding for robots, traveling exhibit for German Class, and cameras for our journalism club in the past.
Donating to Westside Middle School
To make a tax-deductible donation please donate through the Westside Foundation. You can specifically note that funds should be designated to Westside Middle School community club, fun run, etc. Your gift is not tax deductible if it comes directly to our school. If you have questions, please contact Westside Foundation at email@example.com.