Raureka School Term 3 Week 1
Newsletter 28 July 2021
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
Welcome back to Term 3!
Mr Zach Severinsen has joined our team and is teaching in Room 1. Welcome Matua Zach, we know you will enjoy working with our tamariki.
We will be having a welcoming powhiri for Zach on Friday during assembly so we will not have our regular speeches or certificates then. We will present the certificates and have the speeches next Monday morning.
Congratulations to Whero house who won the Interhouse Term 2 Values competition. All houses were really close with points ranging from 588- 665. I wonder who will win this terms competition?
Exciting times ahead!!!
Our school production Raureka, My Home - Ko Raureka taku kainga is planned for the 28th September (last week of the term 3).
This will include all children and will be held at Toi Toi - The Hawkes Bay Arts and Events Centre. The teachers are busy planning this exciting event for our children. If you are interested in helping with costumes, props or have a talent we don’t know about please contact Rose Doolan on 021751407.
Tickets will be sold for the event and they will be $10 each to cover the venue hire and use of sound equipment etc. Tickets will go on sale nearer the time
This term we will also have Mr Murray Gadd back to work with staff and children to further enhance our teaching of writing. Murray will also run a parent evening on Thursday 19th August to show parents how they can help children with writing at home. You are all invited to attend and find ways to help your child write.
We had a very busy Term 2 with lots of exciting events happening. We finished the term with our Powhiri to welcome new tamariki and whanau. it was a great event. Thanks to everyone for coming and being part of it.
This term we also have our School Cross Country on Wednesday 25th August for the Seniors, the Juniors will once again have their Enduro run and it will be on Monday 16th August with a postponement date of Tuesday 17th August. Our COL Teachers Only Day on Friday August 27th. The Barefoot 7's competition will be held on Thursday 2nd September.
Once again we are looking forward to a fantastic term with lots of exciting learning events for our children.
Hockey draw this week:
Raureka Tui play Sherenden at 9:30 on Field 1A
Raureka Kowhai play Taikura at 10:20 on Field 1B.
Please meet with your team at least 10 minutes before the game starts.
- Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then.
- Children are required to wear our correct Raureka School uniform - no exceptions. Royal blue polo-shirt $30, royal blue polar-fleece $40 are both available from the office. Shorts, skorts, skirts, longs must be plain black and can be purchased in town.
- Please remember that in case of an emergency we need to have an up to date contact number for you and your emergency contact person- Please let the office know of any changes.
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Resilience/Pakari, - which means, having the strength, courage and resourcefulness to persevere when you face challenges.
Expected behaviour for this week: cope with disappointment.
Our value for Week 10 was ...
The following children received awards:
R1 Ronan Burkin, R2 Harlyn Hema, R4 Lachie Jones, R5 Ritchie Thomsen, R7 Pippa Burns,
R8 Ariella Duff, R11 Zac Palmer, R12 Nikita Kostylev, R13 Millie Buckingham, R14 Axil Allen, R15 Paige Olsen, R19 Lashaya Newton-Peri, R20 Alicia Waiwiri, R21 Kelera August-Underwood. ESOL Numia Kitiona-Numia
Hello Room 7 - what have you got to share with us this week?
Room 14's item
- Tues August 3- Ready for Raureka
- Thurs August 5- Pacifica Festival at Toitoi
- Mon August 16- Yr 6 Heretaunga Int visit
- Mon August 16- Junior Enduro Run
- Tues August 17- Ready for Raureka
- Thurs August 19- Parent evening with Murray Gadd about Writing
- Mon August 23- Yr 6 Hastings Int visit
- Wed August 25- School Cross Country
- Fri 27 August Teacher Only Day- No School
- Tues August 31- Ready for Raureka
- Thurs 2 September- Barefoot 7's
- Tues 14 September Ready for Raureka
- Tues. 28 September - School Production - matinee & evening shows
- Last Day Term 3 - Fri. - October 1 Mufti Day (School Closes at 2.55)
- First Day Term 4 - Mon. - October 18 (School Opens at 8.55)
- Mon 22 Nov Teacher Only Day- No School
- Last Day of 2021 - Wed. Dec. 15 (School closes at 12.30)
School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers. The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. We need help on the following days - Front Gate: Wednesday, Friday, Back Gate: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.
Ordering will be online this year.
These make fantastic Christmas Presents.