Crow Wing County 4-H
February 27, 2023
Volunteer News, Upcoming Training
MN 4-H Volunteer Development: Consent and choice in youth development
Tues. March. 14th, 6:30-7:30 pmAs youth workers and volunteers, saying "yes" to positive youth development means creating a culture in which youth have the power to say "no" to ideas, suggestions, activities, practices, programs and priorities suggested by adults or peers. Empowering and engaging youth spaces go beyond youth participation into youth authority and autonomy. Join Minnesota 4-H Youth Development Extension Educators Bri Hall (Ramsey County) and Sarah Odendahl (Pine County) on Tuesday, March 14 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to learn more about how volunteers can create learning environments that promote youth physical and emotional safety, encourage youth to exercise choice, and support youth in establishing personal limits and boundaries. Register to attend. Visit https://extension.umn.edu/event/minnesota-4-h-volunteer-development-consent-and-choice-youth-development for info.
Share the Fun and Talent Show
Share the Fun
4-H youth (or an individual) prepare a six minute skit to perform. Two acts are nominated to move on to the State Fair Showcase during our county's encampment. Youth learn team building, how to write a skit, how to build props, and practice their public speaking skills and stage presence.
Share the Fun Rules and Guidelines
●The length of the Share the Fun acts are not to exceed
● All general rules, regulations, and fees for State Fair
participation apply to Share the Fun participants except
for age. A member younger than the age requirement
and part of a Share the Fun group may participate.
● Although microphones are available, acts should not
depend on them. Acts need to learn to project their
voices if no mics were to be available.
● A wide variety of themes may be used. (The act does
not have to be a 4-H theme.)
● Any type of entertainment can be used to share the fun
with others (music, drama, readings, dance, magic,
mime, lip syncs, etc).
Tips for a successful Share the Fun
- Preview this evaluation form to prepare a successful skit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qFCDln5E41LeAcKmYXXxGK-ZGvGEGsYH/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=108506302661122043927&rtpof=true&sd=true
- Delegate 2-3 adult volunteers from the club to lead this project
Talent Show [immediately after Share the Fun]
An event in which participants perform the arts of singing, dancing, lip-syncing, acting, martial arts, playing an instrument, poetry, comedy or other activities to showcase skills. Many talent shows are performances. 4-H members [youth and adults welcome!] who wish to share a special talent without going to the State Fair may participate.
Please submit your registration forms to Cassie at email@example.com before March 17, 2023.
Registration Form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FC8Qf5ZV-8qpZ0pToA6JPdX1n4iUPS0z/view?usp=sharing
YELLO registration opens in April!
The Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors are excited to announce that the 2023 YELLO leadership conference will take place June 13 - 16 at Bemidji State University!
Youth Exploring Leadership and Learning Opportunities (YELLO) is a 4-H leadership conference for youth in grades 7+ that prepares youth to learn and lead in their communities. YELLO is planned and facilitated by the Minnesota 4-H State Ambassadors.
What happens at YELLO?
This annual event aims to engage youth in building leadership skills, developing positive relationships with peers and adults, and planning how to take future action.
- Youth-led leadership learning: The State Ambassadors select a leadership-related topic to focus on for the year. They engage with topical experts and/or practitioners to gain a deeper understanding of the related research and then build age-appropriate lessons to deliver during the event.
- Service and education: Participants engage in hands-on service to learn about civic responsibility while also making positive contributions to the community. This year’s service focus is on food insecurity.
- Deep dives and workshops: Youth engage with the campus and/or community to learn deeply about special topics while gaining understanding of potential future careers, academic programs, or other opportunities for engagement in 4-H and beyond.
- Exploring Bemidji: Youth will get an opportunity to have some fun in the community! This could include seeing local attractions, attending arts and cultural events, or visiting other entertainment venues.
- Social events: Youth will be able to network with one another in fun ways. In the past, this has included talent shows, game nights, dances, etc.
Registration for YELLO will open in April. The cost to attend YELLO is $275, with an additional $50 fee for opting in to ride the bus. Register via 4-H Online.
Plan ahead - Ask the Extension office about what scholarships may be available to you!
Virtual Super Sitters Clinic
Statewide offering | grades 5+
We're excited to bring the virtual super sitters series to youth (grades 5+) this spring. Our goal is for youth to walk away with the knowledge to be a super sitter hero!
Series dates: March 13, 16, 20, 21 & 23 from 5:45 to 7 p.m.
The clinic will include hands-on learning activities to complete at home, information on ages and stages, baby well care, and healthy snacks. There will be a variety of speakers including 4-H Extension educators, public health officials, and experts from local agencies.
Registration deadline: March 7.
For more info, please contact: Suzanne Souza at firstname.lastname@example.org, MaryAnn Anderson at email@example.com, or Abby Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date! 15th Annual Crow Wing County 4-H Rabbit Fun Show
Local offering | all ages
Save the Date!
The 15th Annual Crow Wing County Rabbit Fun Show is to be held on Saturday, April 22, 2023.
Registration begins at 8:30 am with pre-registration available in 4-H Online starting March 1, 2023. Tattooing is available all day for just $1 per rabbit.
Trevor Sypnieski will be providing education on registering rabbits and will be available to register for $6 per rabbit.
Silent auction, food stand, and rabbits for sale. You don't want to miss this event!
Held at the Crow Wing County Fairgrounds, in the curling building.
Contact the Extension office or Sherry Bock at email@example.com with questions!
2023 Fair T-shirt Design Contest | SUBMIT YOUR DESIGNS!
Fair time will be here before you know it and the Extension office has already started to plan. We need your help! 4-H youth of any age are invited to design the next 4-H fair t-shirt!
T-shirt design guidelines:
The design must include the words “Crow Wing County 4-H 2023”.
Must be your original work.
Draw the design on an 8 ½ by 11” piece of paper.
The design will be on the FRONT of the shirt. Sponsors are placed on the back.
The top three designs will be selected by the Extension office and be voted anonymously by Crow Wing County 4-H members.
Must be enrolled in Crow Wing County 4-H.
The winner gets to choose the t-shirt color this year and will win an additional t-shirt! Please submit your designs via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before March 1, 2023, by 4:30 pm. NO LATE ENTRIES will be accepted!
We can't wait to see your designs!
College Bound 4-H Youth, Apply for Scholarships by April 1
Extension Development and Minnesota 4-H offer several scholarships for 4-H youth who are pursuing post-secondary studies at accredited colleges and universities. Eligible 4-H youth are encouraged to visit the Extension 4-H scholarship website for detailed information on the applications, letters of recommendation needed, and amounts awarded.
Please note that applications are available and accepted online only. The online application form does not auto-save. We suggest applicants prepare their responses in another document and copy/paste them into the scholarship form when they have enough time to complete the process. Scholarship applications are no longer accepted via email or mail.
Application deadline: April 1.
In search of Camp Counselors!
All youth in grades 8-13 are welcome to apply by March 1 at https://z.umn.edu/ne4hcampcounselor. For more information about the NE 4-H Camp @ LLCC, visit https://z.umn.edu/ne4hcamp or contact Alli Hansen at email@example.com or 715.297.2140 (cell)
Crow Wing County 4-H Yearly Calendar
Access the Yearly Calendar events HERE.
- 4-H Needle Felting Gnomes | Tuesday, February 28, 2023, from 5:30-8:00 pm | Land Services Building, Meeting room 2
- State Ambassadors Applications Open | Wednesday, March 1, 2023
- Baxter Sandpipers 4-H Club | Thursday, March 2, 2023, from 6:30-7:30 pm | Northland Arboretum
- Northern Reins 4-H Club | Monday, March 6, 2023, from 6:30-7:30 pm | Pizza Ranch
- Poultry 4-H Club | Tuesday, March 7, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 pm | Brainerd Public Library
- Long Lake Beavers 4-H Club | Wednesday, March 8, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 pm | Brainerd Public Library
- 4-H Needle Felting Gnomes | Thursday, March 9, 2023, from 5:30-8:00 pm | Land Services Building, Meeting room 2
- Cloverbud Project Day: Healthy Living | Saturday, March 11, 2023, from 10:00-11:30 am | Land Services Building
- Black Bear 4-H Club | Sunday, March 12, 2023, from 4:30-6:00 pm | Nisswa Fire Hall
- Pequot Lakes Eagles 4-H Club | Sunday, March 12, 2023, from 6:00-7:30 pm | Pequot Lakes Library
- Daggett Brook 4-H Club | Monday, March 13, 2023, from 6:30-8:00 pm | Daggett Brook Town Hall
- Local Ambassadors | Monday, March 14, 2023, from 6:30-8:15 pm | Extension office
- Cuyuna Range Miners 4-H Club | Thursday, March 16, 2023, from 6:00-7:00 pm | Deerwood Auditorium
- 4-H Spring Sewing Club | Thursday, March 16, 2023, from 6:00-8:00 pm | Land Services Building
Events and news are separated into county items and regional/statewide items. Please click on each of the links to view county and statewide events.
Events in Crow Wing County – calendar of events
Statewide news - learn about what's going on across Minnesota
Extension Office/Window Hours
Monday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm
Tuesday: No office/window hours
Wednesday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:00 - 4:30 pm
Friday: 12:30 - 4:30 pm