Housing Hope Budgeting Class
Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 | 5-7pm
Create, Teach, Inspire.
UW Bothell BAP has teamed up with Housing Hope to give back to the local community by helping homeless teen parents get back up on their feet. We have the opportunity to work together as a chapter to create a creative and informative budget curriculum and teach our curriculum to the teen parent budgeting class on February 4th!
The clients range from 16-24 years old and vary in their level of financial management knowledge. All of the youth are parenting and transitional (technically homeless), and most (not all) receive financial support from grant programs. Those who are on the grant programs receive $385 for the month if they have one child or $478 if they have two children, as well as receive food stamps and medical (around a $360 value for one adult and one child).
Our goal is to introduce or acknowledge a healthy way of budgeting for the present and future. In order to graduate from the program, one of the requirements is for each individual to have $500 saved for a deposit to move into their own residence. The budget curriculum we create can consist of anything and everything we envision, but will need to touch on the following:
- What kind of spender are you/how do you feel about your money? (How do you feel money effects spending?)
- How do you pay your bills each month/how do you know if you will have enough saved up to pay for diapers, bus fare, etc. by the end of the month?
- Budget vs. Spending
- Volunteer to collaborate in a group to create the budget curriculum and help teach the budgeting class
- Volunteer to collaborate in a group to create the budget curriculum only
Budget Curriculum Creation:
- Meetings: 3-4 meetings throughout November and the first week of December
- Meeting Length: 1 hour - 1.5 hours
- Location: UW Bothell Campus
- Dates/Times will be decided based on the availability of those volunteering
- Date: Tuesday, February 4th, 2014
- Time: 5-7PM
- Location: New Century Village
- Address: 2507 Howard Ave, Everett, WA 98203
- Note: Carpooling will be provided