Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
April 1, 2019
GIRLS STATE REPS
Congratulations to Holly Hoogstra, Lilly Ramirez, and Alyssa Stout (alternate) for being selected to represent Chandler High at Girls State at the University of Arizona this summer. The American Legion Auxiliary’s Girls State “provides young women the opportunity to come together to study state government. It teaches them to understand that they are an integral part of the political process. It helps them realize they have a responsibility to make tomorrow a better time, the world a better place, and that this job is up to them regardless of religious or political beliefs.”
NHS “TAP IN”
Last Thursday, current members of the CHS National Honor Society visited 2nd hour classes and “tapped in” new members with carnations and congratulatory letters. NHS selection is based on four criteria: scholarship, leadership, service, and character. CHS NHS is proud to welcome 237 new members!
DANCE AND DRAMA IN NYC
Chandler High Theatre and Dance students recently traveled to New York City for five days where they saw three Broadway shows and took workshops with Broadway professionals. Additionally, the group toured the city including the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Freedom Tower, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, exclusive backstage tours of Radio City and the Lincoln Center, and so much more!
last week's WINS
- Girls Tennis def. Ironwood (V 8-1, JV 5-4) and Skyline (V 9-0, JV 6-3)
- Softball def. Red Mountain (JV 12-9)
- Baseball vs Red Mountain (JV 6-2, F 13-3) and Perry (JV 6-1)
- Boys Volleyball def. Mesa (V 3-2) and Red Mountain (V 3-0)
- Beach Volleyball def. Scottsdale Prep 5-0
- Boys Tennis def. Skyline (JV 8-1)
THIS WEEK’S HOME EVENTS
- Tues, April 2nd: Boys Tennis vs Basha @ 3:30 pm; Boys Volleyball vs Boulder Creek: JVB @ 3:30, JV @ 4, Varsity @ 5; Varsity Softball vs Liberty @ 3:45 pm; F/JV Baseball vs Liberty @ 4 pm
- Wed, April 3rd: Incoming Freshman Athletic Information Night from 6-7 pm in the CCA
- Thurs, April 4th: Girls Tennis vs Hamilton @ 3:30 pm; Varsity Baseball vs Sandra Day @ 4 pm; F/JV Softball vs Sandra Day @ 4 pm; Boys Volleyball vs Basha: JV @ 4, Varsity @ 5; Mr. CHS @ 7:00pm in the Bogle Theatre
- Fri, April 5th: City of Chandler Tennis Invitational; Varsity Baseball vs Hamilton @ 4 pm; F/JV Softball vs Hamilton @ 4 pm; CHS Dodgeball Tournament @ 6:30pm in Payne Gym
SPRING SPORTS ASSEMBLY PICS
Last Friday’s assembly included spring sports introductions and performances by a whole bunch of talented Wolves!
Incoming Freshman Athletic Information Night
MR. CHS 2019
JAZZ AT WEST ALLEY BBQ
The CHS Jazz Band has been invited for a return performance at the West Alley BBQ on Saturday, April 6th from 5:30-7:30pm. The students have also been invited to sit in on the jam session at 9:00pm. Show your support and come jam out with us this Saturday in downtown Chandler!
TEACHER OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS
It is time to formally recognize great teachers by nominating them for the 2019 CHS Teacher of the Year (TOY) Award! We are following the same criteria and process established by CHS’s Site Council, Teacher Leadership Team, and the Parent Advisory Council. Nominations will be taken through April 5th. The CHS TOY criteria aligns with the Arizona Educational Foundation’s (AEF) Teacher of the Year criteria, and ultimately, the CHS TOY will submit the AEF TOY application to be in the running for Arizona Teacher of the Year. Through this process, Ms. Lori Lyford, CHS Choir Director, was named a 2016 Arizona Top 5 Teacher/Ambassador of Excellence, and Ms. Amy Komitzky was named a 2018 Arizona Teacher of the Year Semi-finalist.
If you would like to recognize a staff member who does not meet all of the criteria, please do so. Although he/she will not be in the running for AEF Teacher of the Year, CHS wants to acknowledge him/her.
Click below to access nomination form:
Thanks for helping us recognize all of Chandler High’s terrific teachers!
UNIFIED BASKETBALL SCHEDULE
Attention all boys and girls interested in joining Pom and Cheer, or becoming the school mascot: Tryouts will be held on April 8th-12th. See Miss Van Norman in room 212 for info.
CAREER CENTER PRESENTATIONS
Sign up for upcoming presentations in the notebook outside the CHS College and Career Center if interested:
- The Studio Academy of Beauty (Chandler, AZ) 4/3 @ 8:00am
- CGCC 4/10 @ 8:30am
- MCC (final steps for applications) 4/10 @ 9:35am
- ASU Scholarship help 4/11 @ 9:30am
- ASU College Readiness 4/11 @ 10:30am
- ASU Junior Presentation 4/16 @ 8:00am
- Cyber Security Presentation 4/18 @ 8:45am
MCC SPANISH INFORMATION NIGHTS
CHS CAR SHOW
CHS Football - 15th Annual Golf Tournament
CHANDLER’S GOT TALENT
PROM INFO AND GUEST REQUESTS
Juniors and seniors, CHS’s Prom is right around the corner! Scottsdale’s OdySea Aquarium is where you’ll want to be on May 4th from 8:00-11:00pm. Tickets are on sale in the bookstore for $60.
Prom guest request passes are now available in the front office and bookstore. Forms must be completed and turned in to Mrs. Templeton’s office no later than 3:30 on Wednesday, May 1st. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT GUEST PASSES TURNED IN AFTER THE DEADLINE. NO EXCEPTIONS. The final approved guest list will be posted on the bookstore window on Thursday, May 2nd. Juniors and seniors planning on bringing a CHS underclassman must complete a guest request form.
ATTN: SENIOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
The big day is coming on May 29th….Your senior will be graduating very soon!
There are several important dates for you to remember as follows:
1) JOSTENS – Caps & Gowns and Announcements: Jostens is our provider for caps and gowns, graduation announcements, senior rings and more. If you have not ordered, please do so at www.jostens.com or call 1-800-JOSTENS. The final online cutoff date is April 12, 2019. It is a requirement for your senior to wear a cap and gown unit to participate in the graduation ceremony.
Please mark your calendar for these key dates:
- April 5, 2019 - Jostens will be delivering Pre-Ordered Graduation Announcements & Accessories and also will be accepting Cap and Gown orders in the Courtyard during A & B lunch.
- April 12, 2019 - Final online Cap & Gown order deadline
- May 28, 2019 - Cap and gown delivery after 1st Practice in the Old Gym
Questions? Call Jostens at 1-800-JOSTENS.
2) Handicapped & Multi-Generational Seating – Reservations May 1st – May 15th
Starting May 1st we will be accepting reservations for handicapped and multi-generational seating for the graduation until May 15th. Seating is VERY limited so please make your reservations as soon as possible as it fills up quickly and may be full before May 15th. Also, to obtain access to the field for handicapped seating, you must have a field pass. Please contact Mrs. Baum for handicapped seating and Mrs. Claudio for multi-generational seating at 480-812-7700.
3) Handicapped Parking
Handicapped parking is VERY limited so be sure to arrive early. You must have a placard displayed to receive access to the handicapped parking. If you are unable to park in handicapped parking, we will have a shuttle service available.
4) Graduation Information Booklet
Just before Spring Break, a Graduation Information Booklet was mailed home. It includes all the important information you need to know about graduation, mandatory graduation practices, senior check out requirements and the commencement exercises. This booklet is also posted on the Chandler High School website.