How Does a Bill Become a Law ?
The steps of a bill
- some has an idea, it may be a citizen or a person of congress
- bill is introduced to congress
- bill is given a name or number
- its sent to the committee: passes the bill, marks the bill with changes, may replace the bill with new bill, they may ignore the bill and let it die, or may just kill the bill.
- congressional members where the bill is introduced to debate: they debate on the bill, where no one can speak for over an hour.
- voting in congress: House and senate must pass the bill if not they compromise in a joint committee, and they get votes together.