The Trojan Times
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School September 13, 2020
St. Maria Goretti is a living testament to our Lord's work in His youngest disciples, exemplified by academic excellence, spiritual formation, and compassionate service to others.
St. Maria Goretti Catholic School aims to form what is True, Good, and Beautiful in the souls of our young disciples of Christ.
Dear St. Maria Goretti Catholic School Families,
Happy Sunday! I hope you all are enjoying your weekend and are ready for a busy week ahead! There is a lot going on at SMGCS this week! Please be sure to read through the Trojan TImes to get all of the details.
North Texas Giving Day is THIS THURSDAY, September 17th!! Early Giving for North Texas Giving Day started on September 1st, and we are on our way to reaching our NTXGD goal! Most of our faculty & staff have created their own FUNdraising pages, which they have been sharing in their weekly newsletters and on their personal social media pages. We have also been featuring a few of them each day on the school's Face Book page (@StMariaGorettiArlington), and all of their FUNdraising links can be found below. As well, several of you have already created your own family NTXGD FUNdraising page--Thank You!! We invite everyone to do so and share it with your family and friends. Information was sent out to all school families last week about how to create a NTXGD FUNdraising page and how families can earn SPIRIT hours for donations collected on NTXGD. Please see more details below.
For the last two years on North Texas Giving Day, we have hosted SMG Gives!, an exciting family event complete with food, music, games, and fun! Since we are unable to come together in person this year, we will be hosting a mini SMG Gives! virtual event on Thursday evening from 6:30PM - 7:15PM. A link and information to join the event will be emailed to parents on Wednesday. In order to accommodate more families, only one device per family please!
Arlington Tomorrow Foundation's charitable endowment will award $5000 bonus grants to one Arlington non-profit school that raises the most donations to our NTXGD page between 10AM -2PM on Thursday! They will also be awarding the $10,000 People's Choice Award grant to the organization receiving the most votes through the Arlington Tomorrow Foundation's text voting platform between 10AM and 7PM on NTXGD! One vote per cell number; votes may be made from anywhere in the world. We will share the number to text your vote for SMGCS as soon as it becomes available!
This year more than ever, our success on NTXGD is especially important. The effects of COVID-19 and the inability to host the Kountry Karnival this year have directly impacted the availability of funds that as a non-profit, support many of our programs and expenses. We appreciate your support on NTXGD and encourage you to spread the word and rally the troops!
Our first Dine-Out Spirit Night of the school year is this Wednesday evening at Danielita's. Danielita's is a family-owned restaurant owned by the Zavala family. Please consider giving yourself a break from cooking and enjoying delicious Mexican food, while supporting SMGCS and an SMG school family. Dine-In and Carry-Out options are available. See below for more details.
Progress Reports will be emailed to parents on Friday. Please contact your students' teachers directly with any questions. Also, just a reminder that Friday is an Early dismissal day with dismissal at 12:15PM. SMEED will be available, but there will be NO lunch service. Please be sure that your student(s) have a lunch if they are staying for Extended Day care.
Finally, please be sure to read the information below regarding ordering lunches. Our food service provider, Food4Life, has notified us that they now must have all lunch orders for the week ahead placed by 3:00PM on Sundays.
As always, thank you parents for the privilege of working with your precious children. May God continue to bless you and your families.
St. Maria Goretti, Pray for Us!
Laura Behee, M.Ed.
SMG families joined the morning car line last Friday to pass out reminder cards for the upcoming North Texas Giving Day this Thursday, September 17th. Please Get Up & Give generously to support SMG!
Volunteer Hour Policy-
We will be continuing with our SPIRIT Hour policy from last year. In the absence of Kountry Karnival, we will be working to find other ways that families can earn hours. Opportunities will be communicated via emailed SPIRIT Updates, the Trojan Times, and on our website.
All SMG families must complete 40 hours (20 hours by December 18, 2020, and 20 hours by May 14, 2021). Otherwise, $400 per family will be billed ($200 in January and $200 in May). You are only charged for the hours you did not complete. For example, if you complete 19 hours by December 18, 2020, you will only be charged for the one hour you did not complete.
- Kountry Karnival Mobile Raffle Sales- volunteers are needed to sell raffle tickets after upcoming Masses. Please click the link to see if you can help!
- Room Coordinators- many homerooms still need volunteers. Room Coordinators work with the SPIRIT Coordinator and homeroom teacher to help make class and school events successful, and communicate with their homeroom families. Guidance will be provided. Parents whose students are distance learning are encouraged to sign up as well! Please let me know if you have any questions.
Earn SPIRIT Hours during North Texas Giving Day-
You will now be able to earn SPIRIT Hours while raising funds for SMG! We are encouraging families to create their own fundraising page during North Texas Giving Day. For every $10 raised, 1 SPIRIT Hour will be earned. Share your personalized link with families and friends, and they’ll also be helping you earn your SPIRIT Hours!
For example- If you set your fundraising goal at $200, and 10 people donate $20, you will have fulfilled your required 20 SPIRIT hours for the Fall/Winter term!
To create your personal fundraising page, click on the link below. Scroll down and click on Create a FUNdraiser! Please use the names of your student(s) in your FUNdraising Page title.
North Texas Giving Day Faculty/Staff FUNdraising Pages!
Many Faculty and Staff created a NTXGD FUNdraising page and shared it with their families, friends, and parents of their students via social media and weekly newsletters. Check out our Faculty/Staff FUNdraising pages below! Several have already met their goal but any and all donations above and beyond are always welcome! As always, there is a little friendly competition between the homeroom classes. What kid doesn't enjoy a Chik-fil-A for lunch or an ice cream treat?
- Mrs. Perez (Development Coordinator): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/together-saintmariagoretticatholicschool
- Mrs. Malloy (Front Office): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/malloy
- Mrs. Arseneau (School Nurse): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/smgclinic
- Mrs. Behee (Principal): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/givesmg
- Mrs. Utendorf (Asst. Principal): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/SMGSTRONG
- Mrs. Hill (PreK Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/MrsHillsPre-KClass
- Mrs. Bara (Kindergarten Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/BaraKindergarten
- Mrs. Mitchell (Kindergarten Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/mitchellcampaign
- Mrs. Girton (K/1st Distance Learning Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/girtonsgivers
- Mrs. Watson (1st Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/watsonswisebunch
- Mrs. Salomao (2nd Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/2ndgradeallstars
- Mrs. Gutierrez (2nd Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/2ndgrReachforthestars
- Mrs. Cruz (3rd Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/cruz_saintmariagoretticatholicschool
- Ms. Schump (4th/5th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/SuperHeroes
- Mrs. McAnally (4th/5th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/makingtracksin4thgrade
- Mrs. Vasquez (4th/5th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/5thGrV
- Mr. Jones (4th-6th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/exnihilo
- Ms. Juergens (6th-8th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/bethereforthem
- Ms. Seyer (6th-8th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/SeyerSixth
- Mrs. Pick (5th-8th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/PicksSuper7thgrade
- Mr. Nguyen (6th-8th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/nguyen
- Mrs. Pennell (7th/8th Grade Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/CharacterStrong8th
- Mrs. Caulk (Dyslexia/Learning Lab Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/dyslexia
- Mrs. Zavala (Spanish Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/SMGCatholicshcool
- Mrs. Jamison (Art Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/ARTrageous
- Mrs. Richards (Music Teacher): https://www.NorthTexasGivingDay.org/SMGPerformingArts
Spirit (Dine Out) Night at Danielita's this Wednesday!
Please plan to join us at Danielita's for our first Spirit (Dine-Out) Night of the school year, this Wednesday, September 16th! Come on, you deserve a night off from cooking! See below for details.
NEW: Lunch Orders Must be Placed Sunday for the Entire Week
A parent text alert was sent Thursday with news of new lunch order procedures. Beginning this week, lunch orders must be placed for the entire week (Monday through Friday) by Sunday at 3:00pm. We cannot accept orders placed after the Sunday deadline.
We will continue to text families on Thursday afternoon/evening each week, which will allow parents/students to place lunch orders for the upcoming week. The link is also available on the school website and will continue in the weekly Trojan Times. The form has a link with the menu attached as well.
Click below for the order form:
Back To School Night Video!
In an effort to keep everyone safe and to adhere to the protocols we have put in place related to COVID-19, we were unable to welcome parents to campus this year for the annual Back to School Night. Instead, we have put together a Back to School Night video on YouTube, which includes links from each teacher with information about their classes. Please follow the link below to view the video. Be sure to "Like" and comment on the video if you enjoy it, as well as subscribe to our YouTube channel and turn on notifications to see upcoming videos. Welcome Back!
Thank you for your patience as we navigate what Athletics will look like this semester. We now have more information about starting dates for sports and wanted to pass that along to you.
Practices for all Diocesan athletics have been delayed until September 21. On this date Football, Cheerleading and Soccer will be allowed to begin practices. Please read about each specific sport below if your child is interested in participating.
- We offer 2 levels of Football. In 5thand 6thgrade, students may play Flag Football and in 7thand 8thgrade they can play Tackle Football.
- The flag football team plays at Nolan Catholic High School on Saturdays Oct 3 – Oct 31, also at Nolan Catholic High School.
- The tackle football team is made up of students throughout the diocese. Practices take place at Nolan Catholic High School. Games potentially begin Oct 1 (subject to change) through Oct 29.
- If your student is interested in playing please sign them up at: https://teamsideline.com/sites/fwdioc/home
- Equipment will be handed out at Nolan Catholic on Sept 26.
- If you have more questions, please let me know!
- Soccer will be the first diocesan sport this year, which is a change. But this should hopefully allow us to play a full season before the weather becomes an issue.
- Practices can begin Sept 21 with games starting Sept 28 through Oct 24.
- IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COACHING PLEASE LET MS. SEYER KNOW ASAP!
- Volleyball will be played after soccer, because we can play inside!
- Practices can begin Oct 12 with games starting Oct 26 through Dec 5 on Thursdays and Saturdays.
- IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN COACHING PLEASE LET MS. SEYER KNOW ASAP!
Sign-ups for sports will take place in the coming weeks, as soon as we receive the paperwork from the Diocese. Please let Ms. Seyer know if you would like to get involved with Coaching any of our athletes this year, we are always in need. Ms. Seyer can be contacted at email@example.com.
Thank you so much!
Rubik's Cube Club Open to All 4th - 8th Grade Students!
The 2019-2020 Yearbooks have Arrived!
If you did not purchase a 2019-2020 Yearbook, there are still some available! Yearbooks are $30.00 each. Please see Mrs. Malloy in the front office for more information.
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
School Day Schedule and Arrival/Dismissal Procedures
Morning Arrival and Afternoon Dismissal moved along fairly well last week, considering all of the protocols and procedures we have put in place related to COVID-19. Please remember: 1.) ALL students (PK - 8th) must be dropped off in the morning using the morning carline in the back (west) parking lot; 2.) Parents/guardians may not enter the building to walk their students to the classroom. We will again have our Junior High Safety Patrol students and plenty of faculty/staff in the back lot during carline to walk little ones to their classrooms. Please understand, this is in an effort to limit the number of people entering and moving through the building for the safety of all our students, faculty, and staff; and 3.) Parents/guardians must download the Healthy Together app on their cell phone. Parents/guardians must show the completed screening to car line personnel each morning before their children will be allowed out of the car to enter the school.
The entire arrival and dismissal procedures can be found on the link below and is also outlined in the SMG Family Handbook, which is now available on the school website. Please Note: There may be changes to the Arrival/Dismissal procedures as we begin the school year and adjust to the safety protocols we must adhere to due to COVID-19. Any necessary changes to the Arrival/Dismissal procedures will of course be communicated to parents.
Arrival/Dismissal Procedures: https://smgschool.org/documents/2020/8/Arrival%20%20Dismissal%20During%20COVID%20%20Addendum.pdf
Healthy Together App
By now, most have downloaded the free Healthy Together app (found in the App Store). Please continue to complete the app before arriving in carline and be ready to show the completed screening to a faculty/staff member on duty in carline each morning. Multiple students can conveniently be added to one app. Please call the front office if you have any questions about how to install the app.
Student Email Accounts and Google Classroom
All students, whether learning On-Campus or via Distance Learning, have school email accounts that they generally access during computer class, and will also need to access Google Classroom. Parents of students in Grades 4th - 8th who are attending classes On-Campus were sent information and instructions for their student(s) to access their email accounts, log-in to Google Classroom, and create a bookmark on their home devices. Students have also be given this information during computer class, as many 4th-8th Grade teachers provide feedback on assignments, etc. to students via Google Classroom. As well, being familiar with logging in to Google Classroom will be helpful should we ever need to move to distance learning during the school year. If you did not receive your student's log-in information or have questions, please contact Mrs. Daly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As well, please check out the following tutorial for detailed instructions on signing into Google Classroom.
SMG 2020-2021Family Handbook
The 2020-2021 Family Handbook has been updated and has been posted on the school website (http://smgschool.org). Please note, there was an addendum related to COVID-19 placed at the end of the handbook, before the acknowledgement page. Please be sure to read the handbook then print, sign, and return the acknowledgement form at the back of the handbook indicating that you have read and understand the handbook. A signed acknowledgement form from each family was due back to the school last Friday, August 28th. If you have not yet returned your signed acknowledgement form, please do so as soon as possible.
2020-2021 Academic Calendar
Please click on the following link to view the 2020-2021 Academic Calendar. It can also be found on the school website at smgschool.org.
COVID-19: Safety Procedures and Protocols
Please see the SMG Safe Return to School plan that was sent to all school families last week, by clicking the following link.
VIRTUS Safe Environment training for volunteers will begin to expire in September 2020. Parent volunteers will need to renew their VIRTUS training in order to continue volunteering. The VIRTUS renewal program is called "Keeping the Promise Alive" and must be attended in order to keep Safe Environment status current. Our school Safe Environment coordinator will email parents with information for how to register for a renewal session. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Box Tops - Earn Money for SMG!
Box Tops makes it easy for families to earn cash for schools and help teachers get the supplies they need. Traditional Box Tops clips are being phased out of production, but may continue to be found on many products throughout the store. Although you may still clip coupons, there is a NEW and EASY method:
2020-2021 Enrollment & Registration
Registration & Enrollment for the 2020-2021 school year can be found on our school website. There are still spots available at most grade-levels. As a reminder, tuition assistance is available and we are committed to making a Catholic education a reality for any family who wishes one for their child(ren). Please contact Mrs. Behee (lbehee@smgschool) or our Registrar, Mrs. de la Pena (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.
Last Week at SMG.....
Junior High Religion Class in Prayer Garden
Physical Education - First Grade Leaping Through Lava
Kindergarten and First Grade Balance the Pin
Third Through Eighth Grade Scarf Toss
Pre K 3/4
Students spent Science Discovery time outside. They found an object and then drew it in their journal and labeled it with descriptive words. They also enjoyed their time outside with a parachute game to encourage cooperative, non-competitive play and reinforce taking turns and sharing. While most gross motor activities for young children develop muscles in the lower body more than the upper torso, parachutes strengthen primarily shoulder, arm, and hand muscles. When children work together to make the parachute billow, they also refine perceptual motor skills and develop a sense of rhythm. https://www.playparachutes.com/beofpapl.html
Looking for Letters During Clipboard Search Time
Mrs. Bara's Kindergarten class played Five Frame Fill Up in math class. It is a simple game that students play, spinning the spinner to determine the number of dots to put in their five frame. They add their dots at the end to see who wins!
What better way to learn to spell then building words with letter manipulatives. Hands on lessons are the best!
KB Working on Parallel Lines
Kindergarten Distance Learner, Joseph,Practicing Triangles on the Geoboard
First Grade - The Velveteen Rabbit
Second Grade - Spelling Word Practice with Pipe Cleaners
Third Grade - Science Fun
Third grade learned about force, matter, inertia and velocity while making go carts. Students used index cards, binder clips, green shafts, a straw to create a "bearing" (science term), and index cards. Students designed their go-cart like a car and drew the road that they taped together to make a route to test their go-carts.
In order for something to get moving, it must be pushed or pulled along. In science, pushes and pulls are called forces, and they can be caused in lots of different ways. Forces explain how things speed up and slow down, and lie behind the workings of machines from roller skates to space rockets. https://www.dkfindout.com/us/science/forces-and-motion/
SMG Hallway Happenings
PreK - All About Me
First Grade Writing and Science
Second Grade Religion
Fifth Grade - Mrs. Vasques
Spanish - Useful Phrases
- Wednesday, 9/16: SMG Spirit (Dine-Out) Night at Danielita's
- Thursday, 9/17: North Texas Giving Day!
- Friday, 9/18: Early Dismissal at 12:15PM - No Lunch Service - Progress Reports Emailed; Teacher Inservice
- Sunday, 10/4: Kountry Karnival 2020 Raffle Drawing
- Friday, 10/9: 1st Quarter Ends
- Monday, 10/12: 2nd Quarter Begins
- Wednesday, 10/14: Picture Make-Up Day (individual yearbook pictures)
- Thursday, 10/15: Early Dismissal at 12:15PM - No Lunch Service - Parent Teacher Conferences 1:30-7:00PM (1st Qtr. report cards distributed at conference)
- Friday, 10/16: No School, No SMEED; Diocesan In-Service for Faculty/Staff
Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth
Serving the North Texas Catholic community by providing the faithful opportunities to grow in Christian discipleship and strengthen their relationship with Jesus Christ.