The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - November 14, 2021
A Note from Principal Welch
This past week sure provided another weather twist for our school. Not only were we made aware of a tornado warning on Tuesday, we also lost power just after 2:00 PM. Since we had no way to communicate with any family, I did post a message on our Cottage Lake PTA Facebook page. I would encourage you to join this group if you are on social media. I would also like to share that if/when we lose power again, I will be in contact with our district's communications department to ensure they know we have no power so a message can be sent out sooner to all families. I will also work to make sure we communicate when power is restored at school, as well. I recognize this was a communication loop that was not closed for you all. Thank you for your understanding.
This coming week has a few different events and dismissal times. First, Progress Reports will be sent home via kid mail on Tuesday, November 16. Second, PLEASE look at the section below where I have shared what time we are dismissing on Wednesday, and what time we will be dismissing during parent-teacher conferences. Parent-teacher conferences will run from Thursday to next Wednesday. Lastly, please note there is NO SCHOOL on November 25 or 26.
I hope you have all signed up for a conference with your teacher during conferences. If I can assist in helping you schedule a conference, do let me know. We strive for 100% participation.
I wish you all a great week ahead.
~ Jen Welch, Principal
•• School News ••
Parent Teacher Conferences and Dismissal changes are coming!
- Monday, November 15 - Full day of school - Dismissal @ 4:05 PM
- Tuesday, November 16 - Full day of school - Dismissal @ 4:05 PM
- Wednesday, November 17 - Regular Early Release Wednesday - Dismissal @ 2:35 PM
- Thursday, November 18 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Friday, November 19 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Monday, November 22 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Tuesday, November 23 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
- Wednesday, November 24 - Parent-Teacher Conferences - Dismissal @ 12:45 PM
Additional Calendar notes: we will have NO SCHOOL on Thursday, November 25 and Friday, November 26.
Veteran's Day virtual concert
Thank you, Veterans!
This past week, all our classrooms enjoyed our Veteran's Day virtual concert. A HUGE thank you to Kelsey Hanning for teaching, filming, and creating the virtual concert. Thank you to Mike Paganini, our technology teacher for uploading the presentation onto a Google site. Our students did such a great job!! This concert showcases our 3rd-5th grade students in general music. (If your student is in 5th grade and participates in band or orchestra, there will be a different type of musical showcase later in the school year.)
Click the link below to enjoy! [Please do turn up your volume all the way when students are speaking!]
Nurse Audrey's News
There is a chill in the air these days, as well as a lot of rain! While it's a fun memory of childhood to play in the rain, it's no fun to spend the day wet and cold in November. I have a limited supply of clothing for kids to change into if they get soaked, but not enough for everyone. Please remind your children to wear their coats and hats/hoods while playing outside at recess. If you have some pants in good condition that you would like to donate, I am in very short supply of boys & girls pants sized 8, 10, 12. Leggings and sweatpants are preferred by the kids.
Every year the Knights of Columbus donates hundreds of coats for kids in our school district. If your child doesn't have a warm coat, or they have outgrown the one they are wearing, please send me an email with their name, age, and size. Over Thanksgiving weekend, we will pick up the coats and bring them to school to be given to your child (privately). Our school will be allotted about 15 coats, so if you need one let me know. If you have multiple children at Cottage Lake who need a coat, each of them can be included.
If your child/family needs assistance in other areas, please feel free to contact me. I am your CARE Team liaison for Cottage Lake families and the Northshore Foundation. There are emergency funds available to meet immediate crisis needs as well as funds to help optimize your child's education. If they need specific supplies for school that would help them be more successful in the classroom, we may be able to meet that need as well. As we head into the holidays, we want you to know that we are here to help financially or help you navigate where to find the help you need.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Have a great day and stay well and stay warm.
Audrey Wilde, BSN, RN
Cottage Lake Elementary School
CARE Team Liaison
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
Dr. Reid is coming to Cottage Lake
Colder Weather & Holidays are Approaching!
If you would like to be a part of the Helping Hands group by donating needed gifts or funds, please contact the school at 425-408-4200.
If your family is experiencing difficult times this season and you would benefit from help, please contact the school office and we may be able to help.
Some specific ways may be:
- Thanksgiving Help. Thanksgiving is just around the corner and there is help available for groceries for your Thanksgiving meal. Contact the office to sign up. The deadline is Thursday, November 18th.
- Gift Assistance. If you would like to receive assistance with gifts for your children, there are community groups that would like to help. Please let the school office know by Monday, November 29th. Let us know the age and gender of your kids and some needs and interests they have.
Please contact Sarah McKinnon in the school office, firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-408-4200, if you have questions, would like to help, or would like some assistance.
Volunteer Training with Ms. Welch
We want to remind our volunteers that Ms. Welch presents a volunteer training that our new volunteers must attend. Newly added dates for the volunteer training are:
- November 17th at 12:30 PM
These two trainings above will be in-person.
Thank you, we appreciate our volunteers and look forward to seeing you!
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
Child Sick or Change of Plans After School?
If you have a trip planned and are going to be gone during school days please fill out the request for excused absence form at this link Cottage Lake Pre-Approved Absence Form
Book Fair is coming in December!
Suzanne Sterling, our Librarian, has been working with Scholastic and is proud to share that we have a modified Book Fair coming to Cottage Lake in December. She has been working with some of her volunteers to help make this come off the page. Below are the details.
Dates: December 6-8
Times: After School:
- Monday 4:15-7:00 PM,
- Tuesday 4:15-7:00 PM, and
- Wednesday 2:40-7:00 PM for families.
- ** (Mrs. Sterling will be sending out a sign-up genius for times & have stand-by. That will be coming in a few weeks.)
Location: Outside the library under the overhang.
Theme: Bundle Up for Books
We will only be selling what comes in the cases as I cannot guarantee that other orders will come in a timely fashion.
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
i-Ready Family Night
Dear Northshore Families,
Join us on Wednesday, Nov. 17 for a webinar to help families understand the i-Ready Diagnostic and Personalized Instruction for Reading and Mathematics. Families will learn about how the i-Ready Assessment is used to create a personalized pathway of instruction for every student. The i-Ready Team will share ideas for motivating learners, monitoring progress, and supporting children when they need assistance.
- Date: Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2021
- Time: 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
- Location: Zoom Webinar
- Translator Services are Available!
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
School Board approves three funding measures
During the Oct. 11 meeting, the Northshore School Board voted to place three funding measures on the February 8, 2022 ballot.
These three measures continue our work to build better together: modernizing schools, sustaining technology, and increasing opportunities.
- The Educational Programs and Operations Levy (EP&O) and the Technology Levy are not new taxes, but renewals of funding measures that are set to expire this year. These two levies would continue to provide funding for critical staffing and programming that support all Northshore students.
- The Capital Projects Bond would replace an expiring bond and help us address our highest facility needs.
This fall and winter, we will be sharing more information about the proposed projects and how they support our students and District.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the measures.
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.