December 11th Weekly Staff Newsletter
Staff Member of the Month - December
A little bit about Michelle:
* I have been with RISD 33 years. 11 years as a student, 1990 Berkner Graduate and 22 years as a Bronco!
* I taught 7/8 Science for 21 years before becoming an Instructional Coach at West. I was also an Athletic Coach from 1994-2003.
* I have been married 19 years with 2 awesome kids. Emily is a junior at RHS and Nicholas is an 8th grader at Murphy Middle School.
* I graduated from Stephen F Austin in 1994 with a degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with Physical Science and Reading Endorsements. I have a grade 1-8 generalist and ESL certification as well. I hope to start my Masters by next fall with Stephen F Austin (online) in Curriculum and Instruction with Technology.
* We are a huge Ranger Family and are excited to travel to Chicago to see the Rangers play the Cubs in Wrigley field July 17.
* Whether it is a little trinket, lessons, candy, hug, school supplies, baked goodies and much more, I love to give.
* One of my strong characteristics is organizing. Not so much paperwork but activities.
* I am the Fellowship Coordinator for church and this gives me the opportunity to plan and organize fun stuff for the members.
* One of my favorite passages is Proverbs 3.
* My 2015 -2016 motto: Life is easier when we think and act like a proton and not like an electron.
Download Shoparoo and Help Earn $$ for West!
Those currently with 500 points for December:
Danielle Nobles 920
Marie Davis 880
Jamie Trent 870
Angela Sledge 780
Trisha Hirth 630
Those with less than 100 points to go:
Elissa Hutchinson 490
Miranda Dabney 470
Bill Parker 461
Karen Landman 460
Keep up the great work and please tell your FAMILY, FRIENDS, and SIGNIFICANT OTHERS! :)
A note from Kimberly
The Staff Holiday party was a success! I am thankful to all those who were able to come out for a bit. My goal was to make sure everyone left the bar safely and I accomplished that! It was late and I am not as young as I used to be! I enjoyed being able to talk with you all outside of work and get to know you better. :)
Finals begin this week. Be sure you are entering grades everyday. This will help us be proactive with any issues with Focus that may arise. The Instructional Coaches have graciously volunteered to scan your test sheets in everyday. Be sure you are turning them in to the IC's ASAP so that they can get those scanned in.
Secret Santa starts this week. I am thankful for all those who have participated in this fun activity!
Only 5 more days of sunshine and Eddie. I hope you all have enjoyed this and I hope to make this a West tradition for the years to come.
During this time of the holiday season, we must be mindful of those students around us who do not have as much as others. It brings out feelings and emotions that we would not normally see. Be on the lookout for students who may be in need of emotional support.
STAR Teacher - Jennifer Senter
Who's Working at West? Get to know - Nina Zamora
1) What has been your favorite position in education?
I would say being a Student Data Specialist (what I am now) has been my favorite position, although I really enjoyed working as an Assistant Principal’s Executive for two years when I first started working here at West Jr. High.
2) What are your plans for the holiday break?
For the holiday break I plan on resting as much as I can. I will probably visit my mother and sister who live on South Texas. I might also do a little cooking.
3) What would be your ideal gift to receive, assuming money, logistics and physics itself don’t apply?
There is no better gift than Quality Time, Good Advice, and a picture of you or your family that you haven’t seen before.
4) Empanadas: Do you prefer them sweet or savory?
I like them sweet but not extremely sweet. My mom’s empanadas are the best. In fact she is sending me some for Christmas. I really like Sweet Potato empanadas.
Upcoming Dates - December
December 16—Locker Clean Out during Advisory
December 16—Faculty Meeting
December 17—Early Release (12:30pm)
December 17—Pay Day
December 18—Early Release (12:30pm)
December 18—Grades Due
January 4- Professional Development (morning at West, afternoon at various content locations) 8:30 am start time - professional dress
January 5- First day back with students