FDHS Weekly News & Notes
Week of January 18, 2016
“FDHS Eagles Soaring from Good to Great- A World Class High School”
1. 9th Grade Promotion 3%-5% Increase (86%-Goal)
2. 12th Grade Promotion 3% Increase
3. Improve Student PSAT Performance
Happy Belated MLK Day. Along with enjoying an extended weekend, hopefully you were able to do something to promote the cause of social justice that Dr. King so deeply believed in. Forty-eight years after his death, his legacy still speaks to us.
Save the Date: Curriculum Night is scheduled for Wednesday, January 27, 2016 @ 6:30 p.m.
Morning Announcements: Ms. Lawrence and her TV Productions students have made the morning announcements accessible to us through a Google document. If you are unable to catch the morning announcements on TV you can visit the link below. Be sure to turn your TVs on at the end of 1st period. Let's aim to have students listen to the morning announcements.
Ms. Lawrence, thank you for making the school announcements available to us in multiple formats. We applaud you.
January's Literacy Focus
Introduction of Art Literacy Performance Task
- Plan to incorporate the "I see, I think, I wonder" instructional approach.
- Enter at least two grades for each class section into SchoolMax.
- Take attendance each period!!!
- Your presence at your doorway during the exchange of classes helps to keep students focused and provides additional hallway supervision.
- You are a difference maker.
Each day ask yourself:
1. What can I learn today?
2. Who can I help today?
3. Where can I do most good?
Drew Lyons 1/2
Jill Turner 1/2
Erin McCarty 1/15
Virginia Johnson 1/20
Tiffany Poindexter 1/20
Eric Brooks 1/21
Kisha Dorch 1/21
Edith Canales 1/22
Yemi Lawanson 1/22
Edgar Chinn 1/26
- Dr. Dorch for running a successful week of HSA testing.
- Ms. Alcain for giving a helping hand in everything FDHS. Need I say more? Thanks for all you do to keep us plugged in!
- Kudos to Ms. Deville, Ms. Watson, Ms. Hill, Ms. Turner, Ms. Riggins, Mr. Stout, Ms. Tutwiler and everyone who assisted with the Stop Hunger Now meal packaging event.
The Week Ahead at A Glance
Tuesday, January 19 - B Day _
Systemic Assistant Principals' Meeting
Senior Class Meeting - 2nd Period
Biology Collaborative Planning - 9:30 a.m.
English 9 Collaborative Planning - 10:30 a.m.
Senior Class Parent Meeting - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, January 20 - A Day
2nd Quarter Report Card Grade Entry Start Date
2nd Semester Schedules will be distributed during 1st period
SPMT Meeting will be postponed to give additional time for 2nd quarter grades.
Thursday, January 21 - B Day
End of Second Marking Period
Class of 2018 Parent Meeting - 6:30 p.m.
Friday, January 22 - School Closed for Students
Teacher Scoring Day
PTSA Coffee and Conversation - Conference Room - 8:30 a.m.
2nd Quarter Report Card Grade Entry End Date
Frederick Douglass High School empowers our students to become effective communicators, globally-minded problem-solvers, and lifelong learners who realize their potential and become ethical, service-oriented citizens.
Frederick Douglass High School strives to be a World Class School.
Children come first. All students can learn and develop as productive members of our society, regardless of their intellectual, cultural, and socio-economic differences. Parents are our partners. Continuous improvement in teaching, leadership, and accountability is key. Every member of the Douglass community shares the responsibility for the success of our school.
Definition of Rigor
The staff of Frederick Douglass High School defines rigor as the process of creating an inviting learning environment that is conducive to higher order thinking skills and requires students to raise their level of self-accountability supported through challenging and relevant instruction that is aligned with state and local content standards.
It is characterized by:
· An interdisciplinary academic curriculum;
· Student-centered instruction through the use of hands-on experiences and integrated technology;
· Varied methods of assessments; and
· Real-world application of applied knowledge to achieve career oriented goals.