3L Weekly News
Week Ending March 13, 2015
This week in...
Reading: we read a humorous fiction chapter titled The Extra-Good Sunday. This is an excerpt from the text Ramona Quimby, Age 8 written by Beverly Cleary. The story is about Ramona and her sister, Beezus. During this story, we reviewed vocabulary terms and worked on the target skill: understanding characters and the strategy: infer/predict. In class, we learned that we can better understand the characters by making inferences based on their emotions, dialogue, and actions. We spent time inferring and identifying character traits in our anthology, guided reading, and in our independent readings. We reviewed the concept of inferencing with the equation: evidence + schema = inference! At home, encourage your child to practice their inferencing skills by demonstrating their understanding of characters in their personal readings!
Math: this week we spent time responding to open-ended questions. We worked on identifying and writing mixed numbers and improper fractions. Additionally, we worked on fraction word problems, understanding parenthesis, two-digit by one-digit lattice multiplication, and elapsed time. It is very important that students are able to tell time. This was a more difficult task for many students on Friday. Please encourage your child to look at an analog clock to calculate time!
Writing: we spent time working on creative-fictional writing. Students read a story called The Weather Machine. This story was about a grandmother who created a machine to control the weather. Based on this story, the students created an appropriate ending that included: setting, characters, conflicts, and dialogue.
Cursive: we learned how to make the cursive o and how to connect it to other letters such as: r, c, a, d, g, h, t, p, e, l, f, u, y, i, j, k, and s.
Check This Out!
Since we have SO MANY students interested in Legos, I thought this would be great to share with you! The Franklin Institute has an exhibit called Ben Brick's House. It's a "A LEGO-filled design-and-play area." Be sure to check it out! More information can be found on the link below.
1. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
2. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
3rd Grade Fundraiser:
- Mrs. Hoff, Mrs. Smith, and Ms. Hayes did a WONDERFUL job this week working with our class, the finance team. They brainstormed how we will get water ice and the money to pay for the water ice. They ended the session Friday by writing letters to the PTA for a loan and a water ice company. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0448aca82fa7f58-fourth
- If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through think central.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's Agenda book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
- We will have our spelling assessment on Wednesday, March 25, 2015.
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
- Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
- Tess M: Friday, March 20th
- Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
- Sean: Monday, March 23, 2015
- *Posters will come home one week before your child's scheduled date.
- Sarah Casey: Tuesday, March 31 @ 8:40
- Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
· March 16th-20th-PARCC testing Grades 3-5
· March 18th-PTA Meeting 7:30 pm
· March 23rd-Group Picture Day-- Forms will come home tomorrow!
· March 23rd-School Store
· March 23rd-Report Cards available in Genesis (Grades 1-5)
· March 27th-3rd Grade Water Ice Sale and Playground Dedication and Ribbon Cutting
· April 1st-CS PAC Meeting Room 191 3:10 pm
· April 3-Snow Day Make up-1/2 day for students
· April 6-10-Spring Recess
· April 13-School Reopens (Day 1)
Specials This Week:
Monday is a Day 5:
Tuesday is a Day 6:
Wednesday is a Day 1:
- Music and Spanish
Thursday is a Day 2:
- Library and Gym
Friday is a Day 3:
A Word from Third
None at this time.