SVHS Green and Gold
Dr. Cohen/Mr. Smith's Newsletter to the SVHS Community
May 30, 2021- Edition
WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! As we begin to welcome students and the community into Seneca Valley High School 2.0, we'd love to get feedback from you regarding your experience in our school. We aim to please you 100% of the time. However, if we fall short, we'd like to know so that we can improve. We will use the feedback you provide to congratulate successes of our staff and/or identify areas of growth. Please consider completing THIS brief form to provide us with your valuable feedback.
NEW: Interested in being our new Mascot, Storm the Screaming Eagle?
NEW: Underclass Awards
NEW: Leadership Opportunity for Students
Hi Eagles! My name is Hana O’Looney and I was recently elected to be your 44th Student Member of the Board of Education (SMOB). As I look toward the next school year, I want to ensure I am connecting with as many students as possible, giving every student an opportunity to be heard by MCPS.
If you are interested in shaping MCPS policy next year, have skills in video editing or graphic design that you are willing to lend, or are just curious about MCPS, I encourage you to apply to my SMOB Advisory Council by June 30th. SSL hours will be awarded for all participation and meetings you attend!
NEW: Notice to Graduating Seniors - Downloading Google Data
Your Montgomery County Public Schools Google Suite account will become inactive on June 30, 2021. After June 30, you will no longer be able to check your Gmail or access Google Drive. It is recommended that you do a full data export from your Google Suite account using Google Takeout before June 30.
You can export and download your data from the Google products you use, like your email, calendar, and photos. In a few easy steps, create an archive to keep for your records or use the data in another service.
- Visit the Download your data page. You might have to sign in to your MCPS Google Account.
- Choose which Google products to include in your download. To see more details and options for a product, select the More Info link.
- Select Next Step.
- Select a delivery method. “Send download link via email” is the recommended option.
- Select Export Once.
- Select Create Export
When your archive is created by using one of these options, Google will email you a link to its location. Depending on the amount of information in your account, this process could take a few minutes or several hours. Most people get the link to their archive the same day that they request it.
Thank you and have a wonderful summer.
NEW: Note to the Class of 2021 and their Families:
Our 2021 graduation ceremony will be held in the Al Thomas Memorial Stadium at Seneca Valley High School on Monday, June 14, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. If there is inclement weather, the rain dates/times are Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Earlier this week, the Montgomery County Council lifted all restrictions on capacity, activities, and business operations as of May 28, 2021. Therefore, we are pleased to announce that each senior will be allotted six (6) tickets for guests to attend the ceremony, instead of the previously announced two (2) tickets. Graduates do not need a ticket and guest names will no longer be collected.
The increased number is based on the size of our graduating class and the capacity of our stadium. Please note that each guest attending the graduation ceremony must have a ticket in order to enter. Children of all ages count as guests and must have a ticket to enter as well. Tickets for graduation will be distributed with caps and gowns during our materials collection and distribution days noted below. There is no need to complete another survey. Every graduate will receive six (6) tickets. We will not be redistributing any unused or unclaimed tickets.
Senior Cap & Gown Distribution
Students must pick up their caps, gowns, and tickets from the school auditorium on the following dates and times:
June 4 - 9 am - 3 pm
June 8 - 9 am - 3 pm
June 9 - 10 am - 12 pm
Other items such as cords and awards will be distributed as well.
Students who have paid all financial obligations and returned all materials, including Chromebooks, will receive their diplomas immediately following the graduation ceremony. Students who have not, will have their diplomas mailed once a plan for reconciling these obligations has been mutually agreed upon.
If you have any questions, please contact your class sponsors, Ms. Lee Ann Wolfe or Mr. Jonathan Main.
NEW: Athletics Update
IMPORTANT MCPS UPDATE
- Please use this link (Also in spanish) for an important update from MCPS regarding an update to our Covid 19 protocols for athletics
- A few notes:
- Montgomery County Board of Health regulation for Covid are rescinded as of 6:00 am this morning
- Please review our updated Return to R.A.I.S.E plan for important updates.
- Masks are still required indoors
- All qr code check in restrictions have been lifted.
- Weight Rooms- use may begin on June 1st- capacity at Seneca Valley will be at 25 student athletes in the weight room at once- PLease see information regarding summer conditioning below
- Locker rooms-will remain closed until further notice.
- Spring Season Update:
- Memorial Day- no practices or contests allowed
- Admission for the county and regional playoffs in Montgomery county will not be charged, however it will for the state semi-finals and finals.
- Concession stands will remain closed for the remainder of the spring season.
- MCPS Athletics has returned to FULL OPERATIONS- as detailed in the Return to R.A.I.S.E. plan
Varsity Baseball: Tuesday, June 1st, 2021 vs Rockville 3:45 pm at S. Germantown Rec Park- Field F. We will honor our Seniors prior to the game.
Coed Volleyball: Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021 vs Kennedy 5:30 pm. We will honor our Seniors prior to the game.
Varsity Softball: Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021 vs Rockville 3:45 pm at MLK MS. We will honor our Seniors prior to the game.
Boys Lacrosse, Track and Field and Cross Country: Friday, June 4th, 2021 vs Gaithersburg 7:15 pm. We will honor our Boys lacrosse student athletes prior to the game. Our Track and Field student athletes and Fall Cross country student athletes will be honored at halftime
Summer Off Season Conditioning
As highlighted in a communication sent earlier in the week- Summer Conditioning will take place on campus starting next Tuesday, June 1st and will run through August 10th, 2021
This is for returning SVHS Student athletes. Graduating Seniors may not attend. Incoming Freshman– will need to wait until July 1st in order to participate. Only student athletes enrolled at Seneca Valley HS are permitted.
However, in order for them to participate, they will need to do the following:
- Register via this google link.
- If you are not registered- you will not be able to attend a workout.
- Please note that when registering- you must also have the following documents uploaded and on file with the Athletic Specialist- Mr. Irvin
- Physical– which must be less than one year old and include the final page (covid supplement)
- Many returning Athletes may already have this on file
- Medical card– This must be completed and uploaded when you register- no paper copies will be accepted
- This must be a new card -separate from what was used during the school year.
- Parental Permission slip– This must be completed and uploaded when you register- no paper copies will be accepted
- This must be a new permission slip- separate from what was used during school year.
Student Athletes will not be permitted to participate unless these items are completed. No Paper registration will take place.
**THIS IS NOT REGISTRATION FOR FALL SPORTS**
A few important reminders:
- Our stadium facility and Indoor facilities are for permitted use only under direct supervision of a coach.
- At no time should a student athlete, past or present be on our stadium field or in our athletic facility without a ICB paid and insured permit.
- Current student athletes not adhering to that policy may be denied the opportunity to participate on their sports team.
Please reach out to your coaches or the Athletic Office if you have any questions or concerns.
Fall sports begins August 11th
It is important to note that student athletes are expected to be available on that date. Failure to show up on the expected date, may lead to the student athlete not making the team. Please plan accordingly.
We are a competitive high school athletic organization and it is expected that our student athletes make a full commitment to being present on day one in order to properly prepare for the season.
Registration will open July 12th via parentvue. All student athletes will need to be registered with a valid physical in order to participate.
- Please use this link to see our practice schedule for the remainder of the Spring regular season.
- This is subject to change due to weather related rescheduling of games and practices.
- Please make sure to visit our website www.svhsathletics.org and look under the team tabs for updated schedules and rosters
- The Seneca Valley Athletic Department is extremely concerned with the academic effort being given my many of our student athletes. Though we appreciate the many obstacles that may exist due to the pandemic and adjustments in learning, it is important that we emphasize that academics must become a priority. We have many student athletes who are digging a hole that will not enable them to be successful in participating in the future and very well may have an extreme impact on their post high school career and academic choices. Though the county has temporarily removed academic eligibility for extra-curriculars, the colleges and post high school trade schools have not lowered their expectations. It is important that we all work together to ensure that our student athletes are taking their academics seriously.
- Academic Help
- A reminder that Monday – Thursday from 2:45-4:30- Ms. Emily Moseley, a math teacher at Seneca Valley is offering academic assistance to any student participating in extracurriculars in the cafeteria.
- If interested please contact your coach who will provide more information and specifics.
Stay up to date:
- Want to make sure you don’t miss any important SVHS Athletic Information?
- Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Make sure to visit our website www.svhsathletics.org
Thank you so much and please feel free to contact the Athletic Office if you have any questions or concerns.
NEW: This Week's Notes from the College & Career Center
This Week's Notes from the SVHS College & Career Center
Senior Surveys & Final Transcripts
Have you filled out your senior survey yet?? We need ALL seniors to fill out the senior survey in Naviance ASAP!! For those who have college acceptances and scholarships, please add this information when filling out your survey!
You must complete this survey in order for us to know where to send your Final Transcript!
PLEASE NOTE: Final Transcripts will not be available until mid-July. We will send once we receive from MCPS.
- May 31 - National Hazing Prevention Week Essay Competition - 1st Place-$500, 2nd-$250, 3rd-$150, and $50 honorable mention awards; 9-12 grade; U.S. Citizen or resident; submit a 500-600 word essay about hazing.
- May 31 - PB & J Scholarship - awards range from $500-$1,000; senior; for students who have experienced personal challenges that may not have allowed them to perform well academically, but who still have the drive to succeed; NO GPA requirement; essay; letters of recommendation.
- May 31 - Verizon Young Entrepreneur Scholarship - $1,000 award; senior; min 3.0 GPA; resident of Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Rhode Island; for business-minded students; must be accepted to an accredited college, university, or graduate program in the United States; submit either a 300–400 word essay or a 2–3 minute video answering one of three questions; transcript.
- May 31 - Jon H. Poteat Scholarship - 250-$1,000 awards; for current National Technical Honor Society Members who have not graduated; awarded to members who consistently exemplify the seven character attributes of the NTHS; no application, essay, OR letters of rec.!
- June 01 - Delegate Reznik Scholarship - one year award; senior; must be a resident of Maryland’s 39th Legislative District (click here to verify); must have filed the FAFSA; attend a school in Maryland; you may only use this scholarship at an out-of-state school if your major is not available at a Maryland school, the Office of Financial Aid must identify your major as “unique”; 2 essay questions; resume; transcript.
- June 01 - Herb Block Foundation Scholarship - up to $8,000 (or $16,000 over the life of the scholarship); senior; U.S. Citizen, resident Alien, DACA or Maryland Dream Act eligible; must attend Montgomery College in the fall; full or part-time; 'A' or 'B' students OR 'C' students that have shown improvement; demonstrate financial need and if eligible, must apply for FAFSA.
- June 12 - Abbott & Fenner Scholarship - open to juniors & seniors; submit a 500-1000 word essay describing your educational career and life goals.
HBCU College Forum (From A Student's Perspective)
Description: HBCU Virtual Chat
Lean In and Hear From Your Peers
The Theta Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., will be hosting a virtual HBCU Student Forum for High School Students. The forum will consist of students from various HBCUs discussing their HBCU experiences and providing insight to current High School Students as they prepare for College.
§ Saturday, June 5, 11am - 1pm
Class of 2022 - SVHS Rising Senior Meetings
Current juniors & parents/guardians are invited to attend one of these two identical, informational meetings to learn more about what to expect during senior year. The second meeting will take place on Tuesday, June 8 from 6pm - 7pm. Click here for the flyer.
The following topics will be covered:
§ Next year’s course requests and/or schedule information
§ IB/AP and Dual Enrollment information
§ SAT/ACT information
§ Post-Secondary College & Career Opportunities
§ College Application Process
§ Naviance Information
§ NCAA, Financial Aid/Fee Waiver Information
Summer Workshops - Juniors/Rising Seniors
Get ready for Senior year by attending summer workshops! Take advantage of these virtual sessions to learn more about the college application process, testing strategies, finances, the military, and more! Click below to the list of workshops and register today!
Pre-College / Summer Program Opportunities
A pre-college summer program offers high school students the opportunity to take classes at a college and experience college life during the summer. Many programs offer a residential and commuter option. Students can stay in dorms with their peers, or they can commute from home if they live close to the college.
§ Summer Programs & Internships - List of summer programs and internships created by MCPS College & Career Information Coordinators.
§ Terp Young Scholars - Pre-College courses offered at the University of Maryland
NEW: IB Update
Check out our summer IB Enrichment Courses!
ALL COURSES ARE FREE!! THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER FOR ALL SUMMER PROGRAMS IS JUNE 4th!
Offered for rising 9th and 10th grade students
**August 2-6, 9:20-10:35**
The IB Prep Enrichment course will introduce the MYP personal project opportunity and explore the SVHS IB programs, while building academic and socioemotional skills necessary for success in IB. Click here for more information!
Offered for rising 11th and 12th grade students
**June 28-July 2, 8:00-9:15**
The IB Research course will provide rising juniors an overview of the basics of the research required for the Extended Essay or the Reflective Project. It will also support rising seniors with a review of their Extended Essay sources and will offer tips on navigating academic databases to enrich their research source results.
**July 6-8, 9:20-11:55 (Tu/W) 9:20-10:35 (Th)**
The IB Sciences Enrichment course will give students an opportunity to explore and improve their lab and Internal Assessment (IA) skills by conducting an experiment and walking through the key components of the scientific method
**July 6-9, 9:20-10:35**
The IB Writing Skills Enrichment course will give students the opportunity to strengthen writing skills in analysis and narrative by taking a deep dive into techniques for writing a strong college essay.
**July 19-23, 9:20-10:35**
The IB History Enrichment course gives students interactive experiences to deepen their critical analysis of sources and their mastery of argumentation.
**July 19-23, 10:40-11:55**
The IB English Enrichment course will give students practice in critically analyzing a variety of literary texts, as well as gain a strong understanding of how to craft an effective Global Issue. The skills gained in this course will help students on all IB Lit and IB Lang/Lit assessments.
**August 2-6, 10:40-11:55**
The Extended Essay Enrichment course will support rising seniors on continuing their research, organization, and drafting of their Extended Essay.
To register, please complete the Enrollment Form. THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER FOR ALL SUMMER PROGRAMS IS JUNE 4th!
One last reminder- We Want to Hear from YOU!!
This parent survey is open to all and will be used to collect the data for the IB Diploma Program Self Study. The self-study forms the basis of a school's evaluation process and helps to set the school's agenda for program growth over the next five years. Parents provide valuable feedback on the schools' philosophy and the implementation of the programme.
NEW: LGBTQ+ Youth Sports Field Day
Below, you will find the LGBTQ+ Youth Sports Field Day event flier.
This event is sponsored by Unmatched Athlete, a Maryland-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with the mission to encourage LGBTQ+ and ally youth between the ages 5 - 18 years old to engage in sports and fitness. They will be holding a KanJam tournament and soccer drills for youth and adults to play and have fun for free! Allied youth and adults are welcome to attend too. The event will be held at the UA Field House at Fayette with Living Classrooms, Under Armour and Leveling the Playing Field as the sponsors.
REMINDER: Counselor LIVE Chat
Counselors are now available for live chat sessions EVERYDAY via Zoom. Please use your student's sign in credentials to access the session. Click HERE to access counselor's availability. *Please note that you may be required to wait briefly in the waiting room while the counselor is meeting with another parent and/or student."
REMINDER: Where do I go for help?
We are here to support you in any way that we can. for more information about who to go to for the most commonly asked questions, please visit this link. There you will find resources for the topics listed below. We will continue to add to this list as needs evolve.
- Community Resources
- Wellness Resources
- Student Support
- Class Sponsors
- Technology Reminders
- Ask Your Librarian
For spirit wear purchases:
Seneca Valley Online SPIRIT WEAR!!!
Seneca Valley is excited to offer online sales of the spirit wear we used to sell on-site (and more!) through our local vendor, VerTee Shirts. Check it out!
VerTee Shirts: https://svhs.spiritsale.com (T-shirts, sweatshirts, lounge pants, fleece jackets, and masks)
SVHS Spirit Wear can also be purchased at the following sites.
Want a SVHS License Plate? Please visit the School website for details. https://www2.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools//senecavalleyhs/about/ptsa/spiritsales/
Are you #SVPROUD?
- Tweet, Snap, IB, FB, etc., a pic of you repping "The Valley" by wearing your Seneca gear.
- And don't forget to use #svproud. Go Eagles!