John Quincy Adams
6th President of the United States of America
Died: February 28, 1848 in Washington, D.C.
"If you actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." -John Quincy Adams
- Democratic Republicans
"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish." -John Quincy Adams.
Election of 1824
- Andrew Jackson
- Henry Clay
- William H. Crawford
Election of 1828
- Andrew Jackson
America at this time...
- 1825 - Erie Canal completed
- 1823 - Isolationism (refrain from entering any wars)
- 1828- Appointed Clay as secretary of state, Jackson tries to "impeach" him for favoritism
- 1828- broke the ground for the C&O Canal
- 1828- , after loosing to Jackson, he returned to Massachusetts
Key People in his presidency...
- Andrew Jackson, opponent, eventually loosing race
- Henry Clay, Secretary of state
- John and Abigail Adams, his parents
- Captain David Porter, leader of US Navy
- John C. Calhoun, Vice President
- His Cabinet
"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." -John Quincy Adams
Opened up trade with :
- Central America,
- and Sweden.
- Met with Britain to resolve property seizures from the War of 1812.
- Secured the disarming of the Great Lakes,
- redefined the fishing rights off the Canadian border,
- established a US - Canadian border,
- accession of Florida,
- and a US - Spanish border between the Mississippi and the Pacific Coast
The "American System"
- and other works.
Self- sufficient but regionally specialized national government.
Northern Factory states and Agricultural south states.
The Tariff of Abominations
"All men profess honesty as long as they can. To believe all men honest would be folly. To believe none is so something worse." -John Quincy Adams.