October 17, 2016
I hope you had a wonderful break. After a fantastic first quarter, I am sure you were more than ready for a little rest and relaxation.
I know I enjoyed the opportunity to spend some more time at home with my family. The weather was great, and we had some time to get outside and enjoy Fall.
I look forward to another great quarter. Thank you for all you do to help our students to grow and learn.
- Congratulations to band on hosting a wonderful Music in Motion Competition.
- Congratulations to softball on winning districts and sectionals for the second year in a row.
- Congratulations to Mr. Janes and the activities leadership council on hosting the first annual FHSD Leadership Summit.
10/25 PLC Leader Meeting in the Learning Commons 2:30-3:30
10/27 PD Committee Meeting in the Learning Commons 2:30-3:30
FHN had 90.23% of students present 90% through 1st Quarter. We truly appreciate all of your efforts in continuing to teach students the importance of regular attendance.
As we kick off 2nd Qtr, please remind them of our “No More Than Four” campaign. Students who miss four or less days in any quarter will make 90% attendance for hat quarter. Thanks again.
Friday Oct 21 will be our next Fun Friday event in the Commons at 7am.
Climate Committee Meeting Summary
· We began the process of analyzing the comment portions of the Climate Survey for patterns and trends. We completed work on half of the survey items and will continue this work at our next meeting.
· The committee finalized plans for sharing the data at the comments at the 10/19 faculty meeting.
Thank you to those who attended our first staff doughnut morning on October 5th. It was nice to spend some relaxing time just talking with fellow staff members. These will occur monthly, alternating with faculty meetings. Our next doughnut morning will be held on November 16th.
It’s not too late to sign up for the Better than Carrots or Sticks book study. If you are interested, please email Stephanie Johnson or Marissa Cohen.
The Behavior Leadership Team will be meeting on 10/19 at 6:45 in Room 5/8.
On 10/20, Mr. Santos will be presenting on using Jing and Screencastomatic. These are screenshot apps that capture information from your computer screen. These are excellent tools for the flipped classroom. To sign up, please click on this link: https://docs.google.com/a/g.fhsdschools.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdFmDEXifCBWl-O6PJjBMvqrPPZhvLuGDanDfy9WU2cCzj53w/viewform
FHSD Twitter Challenge
October is Connected Educator Month! To celebrate, FHSD is hosting a “15-Day Twitter Challenge” in order to connect FHSD teachers and share the exciting learning that is occurring across the District. Go to the FHSD Twitter Challenge Calendar for more information. Use #FHNTwitter Challenge when participating. Please see the Twitter folder under Professional Development on HowellNET for more information about Twitter.
2016-2017 Staff Commitments to the Learning Environment
In order to improve the climate/environment at FHN, the staff commits to:
1. building positive relationships with students and staff members.
2. listening to the concerns of others and by helping to problem solve those issues.
3. helping students to see the relationship between effort and success.
4. being open-minded to new ideas.
5. addressing any inappropriate behavior immediately to help set an expectation of appropriate hallway and classroom behavior.
6. giving clear and consistent expectations for device use and by enforcing them.
7. counting tardies consistently.