September 11, 2020
Hello JES Families,
I hope your family is finally getting into the groove of school. As we continue to learn how to meet students' needs both virtually and face-to-face during this "new normal," I'm reminded of the following quote:
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome." William James
Thank you for being understanding and patient with us:) Your kind words and deeds have made such a difference:)
IMPORTANT DATES AT A GLANCE
*Don't forget the Weekly Wellness Screener by Sunday at 6:00 pm*
VIRTUAL PTO MEETING
September 21st at 4:00 pm
DEADLINE FOR GT REFERRAL
DEADLINE FOR PLATFORM CHANGE REQUEST
October 5th at 3:30 pm
PLATFORM CHANGE REQUEST
The options are:
- Moving from in-person instruction to virtual instruction (DVA)
- Moving from virtual instruction (DVA) to in-person instruction
Here is what our families need to know:
- Although we will do our best to keep students together, we cannot guarantee this. Depending on how our numbers change, there is a possibility that your child may not have the same classmates or teacher, especially if you request a change of platform.
- This is a request for change of platform only, not for requesting a specific teacher.
- The deadline to submit this form is Monday, October 5th at 3:30 pm.
- Any changes in teacher assignment will be shared after the October 5th deadline when we have all the information. We anticipate being able to get this information to families the week of October 12th-16th.
- Changes in platform will be effective beginning Monday, October 19th, the start of the second grading period.
- Families will have another opportunity to change platforms at the third grading period.
All requests must be submitted on the Google Form by Monday, October 5th at 3:30 pm.
*Please do not email your requests to office staff, administrators, or counselor. We want to keep all requests together.*
What Happens if My Child Gets Sick?
- Obtain a negative Covid-19 test
- Obtain an alternate diagnosis from a physician
- Wait 10 days until the last known symptom to return to school
These are the symptoms that warrant exclusion from school: fever greater than or equal to 100 degrees F, loss of taste or smell, cough, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, fatigue, headache, chills, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, shaking or exaggerated shivering, significant muscle pain or ache, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
DVA - ENCORE HELP
DVA - Library Book Pick-Up
Wow! There has been a tremendous interest in our books-on-hold system that lets our virtual students borrow books from the library. When your child’s hold is ready, I will send the parents an email. PLEASE PARENTS, if your child places a hold, come pick up the book within three days of receiving the email. Thank you for your help in this. - Ms. Rudder, Librarian
Field Trip Refunds
The GT testing referral window for students in grades 1-4 opens Tuesday, September 8 at 8:00am, and will close at 8:00am sharp on Tuesday, September 29. To refer your JES grade 1-4 child for the Carroll ISD Gifted and Talented Program, you must fill out the online referral form. Once you have reached the confirmation screen on the form linked above, you are done! Please note that absolutely NO referrals will be accepted after the 8:00am deadline on September 29.
What is Quest?
The gifted program is called Quest at the elementary level. It is an interdisciplinary program where students are encouraged to make connections and view the world in a more global manner.
When will testing take place?
Students in grades 1-3 will test in small groups during school hours in October. All 4th grade students will complete testing with their homeroom classes. Elementary students must meet the Phase I abilities test criteria in order to move forward to the Phase II portion of the screening process. Phase II involves an achievement test in math and reading.
More Information about CISD’s GT program:
Get more information about the GT program, scoring requirements, differentiating gifted learners from high achievers, and much more by visiting http://www.southlakecarroll.edu/Page/312.
I am happy to answer any questions regarding the testing process and GT program that you are unable to find on the district website. I can be reached at Leslie.Andre@southlakecarroll.edu or 817-949-4553.
For DVA students we will have you come to the CAFETERIA SIDE to wait socially distanced for your turn to take a picture. Please come to your assigned time and wear a mask while waiting in line. DVA students will take their photos at the following times:
- 9:30 am - Mrs. Morgan
- 11:15 am - Mrs. Rohde
- 11:30 am - Mrs. Brownfield
1st Grade DVA
- 10:15 am - Mrs. Robinson
- 10:30 am - Mrs. Williamson
- 10:45 am - Mrs. Edmiston
2nd Grade DVA
- 8:15 am - Mrs. Little
- 9:50 am - Miss Hannan
- 10:05 am - Mrs. Jacobson
3rd Grade DVA
- 11:40 am - Ms. Luft
- 11:55 am - Miss Thannum
- 12:10 am - Mrs. Alexander
4th Grade DVA
- 9:10 am - Mrs. Cheek
- 1:25 pm - Miss Lee
- 1:40 pm - Mrs. Randall
- 1:55 pm - Miss Campbell
JES PTO Meeting
Please join us on Monday, September 21st at 4:00 PM for our first General PTO Meeting via Zoom. All JES parents are welcome to attend. We will be receiving an update from our principal and the PTO. Please register here and you will receive the Zoom link prior to the meeting. "See" you there!