Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 11/16
Welcome to 2nd Quarter!
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
This Week's Important Updates:
- Estimation Jars - See below
- Stone Soup - See below
This week, we will read numerous versions of the folk tale Stone Soup, a tale in which people bring happiness to one another by learning the lesson of sharing (each person contributes an ingredient to a pot of soup). Versions of this story are told around the world, and students will work on comparing and contrasting the tales.
As a celebration prior to Thanksgiving break (NEXT Tuesday, 11/24), we will be making our own “stone soup" for snack as a way to celebrate our classroom community and our own thankfulness. I would love to have a couple of volunteers to set up and serve; please let me know if you are available and would like to come join us.
Your child will select an item in class this week to bring. If your child cannot bring the item that he or she picks, please let me know. As we learn in the stories, stone soup can have many different ingredients, so you can certainly substitute for something you have available at home. Please wait to send any fresh/chopped items until Tuesday, but other items can be brought in advance. Thanks for your help in making our feast a success!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are creating flip books based on information from the story So You Want to be President?
- We are reading The Horned Toad Prince and working on the "Somebody/ Wanted/ But/ So/ Then" strategy.
- We are building our reading skills on Newsela.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are reviewing and completing the Unit 3 assessment.
- We are beginning to learn about decimals in Unit 4.
- We are comparing and ordering decimals through the thousandths place (tenths, hundredths, and thousandths).
- We are building our mathematics skills on IXL.
- We are solving multiplication and division facts.
- **Remind your child to keep up the fact practice at home!! Building speed and accuracy with facts is essential.**
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about properties of states of matter.
- Students will select and begin researching a state.
We loved creating "Origami Yodas" & "Darth Papers!"
Wishing you a terrific week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.