Mrs. McGeorge's Super Second Grade
Weeks of March 21 and March 28, 2016
What We're Learning
This week, we are sharing our biography projects with our classmates, and we are exciting to share our writing with you! Invitations to our Writing celebration went home last Wednesday, if you plan on attending, please return yours!
Next week, we will begin our unit on Poetry! This will last the rest of the school year. We will be reading and writing poems. We will use them to practice reading and work skills we have learned this year, and we will spend a lot of time on figurative language (smilies, metaphors, idioms, etc.). Your child will learn to write acrostic poems, haikus, free verse poems, and more.
We are continuing our work on double- and triple-digit addition and subtraction this week using the algorithm method.
Next week, we will start a unit on fractions! We will learn about halves, thirds, fourths, and more. Students will break shapes into fractions and divide numbers into fractions.
This week and next, we will have a brief unit on sound! We will learn about how we hear sound, how sound travels, and how sound changes. Next Friday, April 1, students are welcome to bring in a home-made instrument to experiment with (a guitar made of a tissue box and rubber bands, a plastic egg and dry rice shaker, etc.). This is not a mandatory assignment, but it is a chance to get creative. We will use these instruments to discuss what we have learned, model it, and then perform together.
M 03/21 Art
Tu 03/22 Music
W 03/23 PE, Second Grade Writing Celebration, 8:15-8:45 am (parents and grandparents welcome!), Counselor Lesson
Th 03/24-M 02/28 No School, Spring Break
Tu 03/29 Art
W 03/30 Music, Library Lesson (substitute--Mrs. McGeorge at training)
Th 03/31 PE
F 04/01 Art
M 04/04 Music, Library Check Out, Librarian's Day
In Other News...
- Report Cards came home this past Wednesday. Please return the pink signature sheet and your child's data binder when you've had a chance to look over them.
- March is the last month for Pizza Hut's BOOK IT! program. Spring Break will make reading weeks tough, but if your child reads 300 or more minutes this month, s/he will receive a pizza coupon and certificate.
- Thank you to those families that sent in Box Tops this past week! Moreau Heights collects Box Tops, Labels for Education, My Coke Rewards, and more. We appreciate your help!
- We've still got most of a quarter left, and we are all out of hand sanitizer! If you have an extra bottle at home or think of it at the store, we would be so grateful for a donation.
- We will not have spelling this week (March 21), but we will have Spelling next week (March 28). There will also not be a new newsletter next Sunday, so please save this one in your inbox to refer back to if you think you'll need it.