Corbett Grade School
Corbett Grade School Principal, Michelle Dawkins
On March 10, we celebrated 100 days of school by enjoying a parade by our K/1 students. This year's celebration really tugged at my heart as I watched our K/1 students proudly march down the hallways making a lot of noise! Our hallways were also lined with the older students and many of our families cheering them on. We love a fun tradition and this one didn't disappoint!
During this spring, many of our classrooms will also be traveling to visit nearby places to further their studies of Native Americans, wildflowers, and animals in our area. Our students will be traveling to Eagle Fern Park, the Oregon Zoo, Rowena to view wildflowers, and a few more places in our area. Field trips are a wonderful way of seeing nature first hand and we are lucky to live in such a bountiful place.
Our grade school students have also been collecting coins for families affected by the war in Ukraine. We will continue to collect money until April 15. Mr. McDermott has family in Poland that has been able to let him know where money is needed most. His family has provided a couple of groups that will benefit for our school communities generosity. Thanks to Mr. McDermott and Mrs. Young for organizing this service project.
Please join me for coffee and donuts on Tuesday, April 5, at 8am for our first in-person Principal Chat of the 2021-22 school year! I look forward to seeing many of you and discussing how we can continue to make Corbett Grade School an inclusive place for children to learn and grow.
Corbett Grade School Principal
SNACK and LUNCH MENU LINK
IMPORTANT DAYS AND EVENTS
Tuesday, April 5 - Principal Chat 8am (in-person)
Wednesday, April 13 - Kindergarten Kick-off 5pm
April 25-28 - Corbett PTA Book Fair
May 2-5 - Staff Appreciation Week
Friday, May 13 - Teacher Inservice
Monday, May 16 - All School Music Concert 8:45-9:15am
Thursday, May 19 - Literacy Night
Monday, May 30 - No School - Memorial Day
Wednesday, June 1 - GS Portfolio Night 4:00pm-7:30pm
Friday, June 3 - Last day of school
PTA NEWS and BOOK FAIR!
Also, Staff Appreciation will be during the week of May 2-5, and we are looking for ideas, volunteers, and basket makers!
Smiling can be an act of charity. Please sign up with Amazon Smile to
support the Corbett PTA. Visit www.smile.amazon.com, once logged in
choose "Corbett Elem PTA", and then bookmark www.smile.amazon.com so
that Corbett Elementary PTA benefits every time you shop!
The next PTA meeting will be Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 6:30pm .
The main topics we will discuss will be the book fair and staff appreciation week.
If you are interested in volunteering, please email email@example.com.
If your child will be absent for the day:
- email your child's teacher and Carrie Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- let us know why your child is not in school (illness, appointment, vacation, etc.)
- if your child is ill, please keep them home
- if your child or someone in your household has recently tested positive for COVID-19, please keep them home
- students may return 24 hours without a fever and use of medication
- students may return 48 hours after last episode of vomiting or diarrhea
- a staff member will call or email and let you know when your child may return to school
UPCOMING STATE ASSESSMENTS
This year, ODE is requiring state assessments for our students.
- Students in grades 3-8 and 11 will take the English/Language Arts (ELA) and Math assessments
- Students in grades 5, 8 and 11 also take a Science assessment
- Parents can opt their child out to the ELA and Math tests and can request that their student be exempt from the Science assessment
- Email email@example.com for opt out forms
Students in grade 3-5 will take assessments after spring break. More information will be coming from your student's classroom teacher.
PLAYGROUND UPGRADE COMMITTEE
Corbett Grade School Playground Update Committee:
- We are looking into grants and other sources of funding
- If you have knowledge about writing grants, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Still waiting for Wildwood Playground's proposal that will include phases and costs
- Once the proposal is ready, we will share the design and cost with our school community
CGS LOST AND FOUND
Please look at photos of our Lost and Found items for the months of February and March. We will be donating any unclaimed items on Monday, April 4.
Grade School Volunteers Needed
- extra lunch and recess supervision
- maintaining (weeding/planting) in the area in the front of the GS
- sorting books
- reading with kids
Please contact: email@example.com if you are interested
Field Trip Chaperones or Classroom Volunteers
Please provide a copy of your vaccination card or exception request form (medical or religious) to Nancy Gyerko, either in person or via email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than two weeks prior to the event for which you are volunteering. As a volunteer, you will submit to Nancy at the same time a Criminal History Verification form with Confidentiality Statement agreement, and the COVID Waiver of Liability form. Please click on the links below for the required forms.