Financial Aid Process

What is the FAFSA? How do I complete it? Where do I begin?

How to start the Process....

The very first step in receiving financial aid from public and private institutions of higher learning starts with filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA. Colleges use this tool and the reports it generates in order to determine your Family's Estimated Contribution or FEC. Below you will find helpful guides to completing the FAFSA process.

The FAFSA Homepage

1. To electronically sign the FAFSA, the student and parent will first want to create their own FSA ID. (Both parent and student will need separate email accounts to activate their own unique ID). This is a simple process that can be done by going to the FAFSA Homepage at
Big image
Once you make it to the FAFSA Homepage, click the blue box that contains a closed lock and the title FSA ID. This will take to the webpage that you will use to create your own personal FSA ID.
Big image

In the middle of the page, you will find a green box that says "Create FSA ID Now". Click the green box and follow the instructions to complete the request for a FSA ID. (REMEMBER: Both the Student AND Parent will need to complete this process.)

Watch the video below for helpful information regarding your unique FSA ID

How to Create an FSA ID

My parents and I both have our unique FSA ID... what do we do next?

2. Now that you have created you unique FSA ID, you will need to return to the FAFSA home page at . This time you will click the green box on the left that says "Start a New FAFSA". Once you click this link, you are well on your way. You will follow the step by step instructions to complete the FAFSA Process.

In the first video below parents will find helpful tips and tricks for the fafsa.

If you would prefer to watch a video that includes a step by step video conference of someone talking their way through completing a sample FAFSA, feel free to click this second video. (

FAFSA and FSA ID Tips for Parents
2017-18 FAFSA - Full Walkthrough

Still Need Help???

If you are still confused and need help, please call your school counselor and set up an appointment!