Leading the pack in education
January 19-29 MOY Reading Assessment
January 19 Grades Due by the end of the day
January 20 Update Awards Spreadsheet by end of day (see below for link)
January 20 LOL PM
January 22 Special House Meeting
January 22 Hat Day: PE Fundraiser
January 25 House Meeting (first of 4th six weeks)
January 25 Campus Team Meeting
January 26 Jump Rope for Heart (Specials)
January 26 Texas Star Inn Restaurant Night
January 27-29 JPS Dental: Healthy Smiles
January 28 Battle of the Books!
January 29 Author Visit: Chris Barton
January 29 Movie Night 6:30-8:30
February 1-5 National Counselors Week
February 1 PLC/Art Day
February 1 Vertical Team Meeting
February 2 Groundhog Day & PTA Board Meeting
February 3 3rd-5th Writing CBA
February 4 MOY RtI Collaborative
February 5 4th Grade Trip to Austin (Mr. Wamsley out)
February 8 House Meeting
February 8 Faculty Meeting
February 11 McDonald's Night
February 12 Valentine's Parties and Afterschool Dance
Special Awards Spreadsheet
The sheet can be accessed online at:
Below are the directions:
1. Scroll down to your class
2. DOUBLE check to make sure all your students are on the list and they are in the correct house. Make changes/additions if needed.
3. Put in a number 1 in the box your student earned.
4. The sheet automatically saves so just complete this by Tuesday January 19.
Our P.O.P. (Progress on Practice)
Recommendations from team and next steps:
- Create and give everyone a globe "Icon" to place by our standards in the room as a reminder for us to ask students "How would you use this in real life?" or other ways we can make the learning objective relevant
- Appoint 1 person on your team to make sure you look at and design structural level questions for the unit
- Everyone bring one student task you have designed for upcoming lessons to the faculty meeting on February 8th. We will evaluate them with the R&R rubric and see if there are any tweaks that can "Further the learning objective"
- Everyone bring one workstation along with the TEKS that you have designed for upcoming lessons to the faculty meeting on February 22nd.
Teacher of the Year Nominations
TAGT on Demand
TAGT On Demand is now open for teachers who are interested in getting started on their annual 6-hour update for 2016-2017. If there are teachers who did not complete their 30-hour or the 6-hour update for this year, they may also continue working on that task. District guidelines require that it be completed by December 31 each year, but the logins BISD paid for will be available until June 30. Please finish hours for this year as soon as possible. Courses are being posted in Workshop as quickly as possible once teachers submit their certificates to Katie Waldrip.
8 Mindframes: Teacher Credibilty
Pictures of Students
If you would like to add picture to the digital sign just upload the pictures to the following folder:
We have sent out a message to parents about making sure they bring their laminated cards with them. We appreciate your help in communicating this with parents who do not have these and referring them to the office for a temporary one.
Please continue to make sure parents have their pickup cards. The police said this is one of the best things they like about our school's dismissal for 3 reasons.
1. It reassures parents the person next to them is supposed to be here
2. It highlights individuals who might not need to be on campus
3. It is a very visible signal to the community that there is a system in place to identify people whop are supposed to be here. The police said this is a very strong, proactive, deterrent to those who should not be on campus.
The police were very complementary of our dismissal procedures and I want to encourage your vigilance. If there are any suspicious vehicles around campus, call on the radio immediately so the office can respond quickly. Having everyone be on alert is the best way to make sure only those with a legitimate purpose are on campus.
Please let me know if there is any support you need with any of the above. I will be stationed in the area closest to Scott Drive for the remainder of December, but can come to any spot if needed.
Reminders and Focus
Our security fence will start construction this week. This is part of the bond money and the purpose for this is to increase safety and security. There will also be new sidewalks, ramps, and pads constructed to accommodate the foot traffic that will be impacted due to the fences.
- Our goal is to be level 3 (or moving close to it) in most areas on the district rubric for TEKS centered teaching. I have seen many great examples of students interacting with the TEKS in class. Be sure to not only post them, but have discussions so that students understand the goal of their learning.
- Continue to build strong, positive relationships with all the students. Smile often. Choose to see the good and positive. Focus on growth and celebrate often. Nothing is more helpful in the learning process than the effects of trust and joy.
- PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place. If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
- Rigor, relevance, and engagement strategies should be focus on when planning student learning tasks.