January 9, 2019
Clearwater Middle School, St. David's Bermuda
INSIDE THIS ISSUE!
- Health eBites
- January Student Calendar Term 2
- M3 Senior School Registration: Tuesday, January 15th - Thursday, January 17th, 2019
- Seminar for Parents - The Art of Learning
- International Race Weekend - Volunteers Needed
- Butterfield and Vallis 5K
- Yearbook Pictures
- PTSA Bingo & Soup Competition
- Standards Based Grading
- February Student Calendar Term 2
- March Student Calendar Term 2
- Wellness in 2019
JANUARY: Student Calendar Term 2 - 2018-2019
- January 3rd - All Students Return to School
- January 4th - Grub Day $3.00
- January 7th - 11th: M3 Boys Spirit Voyage
- January 11th - Grub Day $3.00
- January 14th - PTSA Meeting at 6:00 pm
- January 18th - School Cross Country Run
- January 24th - Grub Day $3.00 (Thursday)
- January 25th - School Closed - Administrative Day for Teachers
- January 28th - 29th - Prefect Leadership Day at Bermuda Regiment
- January 29th - Science Fair at Bermuda College
- January 31st - Grub Day $3.00 (Thursday)
SENIOR SCHOOL REGISTRATION
Seminar for parents
The Art of Learning
Relationship Manager for the French schools for the International Baccalaureate (IB) for five years, Bianca is now a partner of Lance King, an internationally recognized author, teacher, workshop facilitator and the designer of the Approaches to Learning (ATL) for the IB.
Bianca will share her passion and her knowledge on the evolution of education around the world. She will touch on the following points:
How to prepare the children for the 21st century?
How to fail well?
How to support the children’s learning?
23 January 2019
5:30 – 7:30 pm
Register before: January 16, 2019
Send an email confirmation to: email@example.com
Refreshments will be available
INTERNATIONAL RACE WEEKEND
Volunteers are needed for International Race Weekend, January 18-20th
Can you spare a couple of hours to volunteer and also get to see some awesome running??
This weekend attracts many oversea visitors to our lovely shores, we want them to enjoy the experience and you can help by being a volunteer!
Friday, January 18th, 2019 - Front Street Mile Volunteers Sign up Here!
Saturday, January 19th, 2019 - 10K & 10K Walk Volunteers Sign up Here!
Sunday, January 20th, 2019 - Bermuda & Half Marathon Volunteers Sign Up Here!
Contact Mark Harris with any questions at Mark.Harris@scottishre.com
Butterfield and Vallis 5K
Sunday, January 27th, 2019
RUN & WALK
Lower Primary (1K route) 8.30am Start
Primary & Middle School...Route (2.7K) 9:00am Start
Senior students and adults...Route (5K) 9:30am Start
PROCEEDS TO THE BERMUDA HEART FOUNDATION
Sanctioned by the Bermuda National Athletics Association and supported by Mid Atlantic Athletic Club
School Challenge: The Primary, Middle & Senior school with the most entries will win $500 & a plaque
Corporate Challenge: The Company with the most entries will win a plaque and Sportseller voucher
Prizes include: 2 pedal cycles from Winners Edge, Fit Bits from BF&M and Sportseller vouchers
Download the following form for more information.
Dear Parent / Guardian,
The Mall Studio will have the pleasure of photographing the students of Clearwater Middle School The photo session is for the schools yearbook and will take place at the school on…
Tuesday 22nd January 2019
The following photo package will be offered for $40
- One 8x10 student portrait,
- Two 5x7 student portraits,
- Eight wallets,
- One 5x7 class portrait
All displayed in a memory mate folder
- Sibling package same as above $40 + $10 for each additional class photo if siblings are in different classes (i.e. 2 siblings $50, 3 siblings $60, 4 siblings $70)
If you would like to purchase a photo package of your child, fill out the downloadable form below and return it with payment to the school by Friday 18th January 2019.
Please make personal cheques payable to The Mall Studio
We thank you and look forward to photographing your child.
PTSA - BINGO Night and Soup Competition
The P.T.S.A. Executive Team at ClearWater Middle School invite you to be a part of our Annual Bingo Night and Soup Competition.
We are encouraging our schools and businesses in the East End to come and join in the fun.
Anyone can enter the soup competition. Put on your chef’s cap and show off your culinary skills.
This event will take place on January 25, 2019 from 6pm – 8pm in the school Gymnasium. Thanks for considering this opportunity.
We look forward to working with you. This will be the start of a great partnership in our East End Community.
ClearWater Middle School
· All entries must be homemade
· One entry per person
· Entry form to be summitted by January 23, 2019
· Judging will take place at 6:15pm
· All entries will be sold
Soup will be judged on:
The search is on to find the best soup in the East!
Earn the ultimate bragging right!
Sign up today!
Download the attached form to sign up for the Soup competition.
STANDARDS BASED GRADING
Standards-Based Grading (SBG) is a
philosophy and practice that focuses on
a student’s proficiency as they progress
towards mastery of a clearly defined
The Bermuda Public School System
defines these standards as priority standards.
These defined outcomes of learning will be
developed for each content area over the
next few years.
This grading system looks
at how well a student has demonstrated
proficiency over time in each grade level
and reports out how they are progressing
on each skill.
Download the attached document "A Parent Guide to SBG", which provides a general overview of SBG and to inform parents and guardians about pertinent information; as we reset this SBG journey.
Standards-Based Grading for Parents
- What is Standards-Based Grading Education?
- What exactly are priority standards?
- What is the difference between a traditional grading system and a Standards-Based Grading system?
- What changes will parents see?
- What is a proficiency scale?
- Sample P2 Math Proficiency Scale
- What are the benefits of Standards-Based Grading?
- Why use Standards-Based Grading?
- Standards-Based Grading Overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7m4762pjH8&feature=youtu.be
- Rick Wormeli on Standards Based Grading https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4QVcghKsGY&feature=youtu.be
- Rick Wormeli on Why Zeros Hurt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-QF9Q4gxVM&feature=youtu.be
- Sal Khan - Let's Teach for Mastery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MTRxRO5SRA&feature=youtu.be
Standards Based Grading At Clearwater Middle School
FEBRUARY: Student Calendar Term 2 - 2018-2019
- February 1st - School Closed - BUT 100th Anniversary
- February 4th - PTSA Meeting at 6:00 pm
- February 7th - 8th Prefect Leadership At Bermuda Regiment
- February 8th - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
- February 11th - 15th - School Closed - Mid-term Break
- February 22nd Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
MARCH: Student Calendar Term 2 - 2018-2019
- March 1st - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
- March 4th - 8th - M3 Girls "SPIRIT OF BERMUDA" SAILING PROGRAMME
- March 4th - 8th - M1-3 Endeavour Middle School Programme 2018
- March 4th - PTSA Meeting at 6:00 pm
- March 8th - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
- March 13th - Career Fair
- March 15th - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
- March 16th - Fashion Show (Saturday)
- March 20th - Inter-school Sports at National Stadium
- March 22nd - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
- March 26th - Inter-school Sports at National Stadium
- March 29th - Grub Day $3.00 (Friday)
Click on the following links to access previous correspondence.
- Parent Information December 18, 2018 https://www.smore.com/8fe47
- Parent Information December 7, 2018 https://www.smore.com/v9pb7
- Parent Information November 30, 2018 https://www.smore.com/z69nm
- Parent Information Monday, November 26, 2018 https://www.smore.com/48sfw
- Grub Day Guidelines https://www.smore.com/f3jea
- Dress Code https://www.smore.com/6v485
- Parent Notes Monday November 19, 2018 https://www.smore.com/4mtps
Please use the following email addresses to contact our team leaders. You can also call the school office at 293-5017, if you need to speak to them directly.
M1 Team Leader: Mr. Lowe firstname.lastname@example.org
M2 Team Leader: Mr. Pastor email@example.com
M3 Team Leader: Mr. Paynter firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Foggo: email@example.com
Principal Wade: firstname.lastname@example.org