Roots, Powers and Scientific Notation
- Perfect Squares are made when a number is multiplied by itself
- Perfect Cubes are made when a number is multiplied by itself three times.
∛27 = 3 because 3 x 3 x 3 = 27
- A root is the number that is multiplied by itself.
- A square root is the length of one side of a square.
√49 = 7
- A cube root is the length of one side of a cube.
∛125 = 5
Try this Problem!
The area of Mr. Brown's back yard is 657 square feet. He wants to build a fence. The fence will form a square. How long should one side of the fenced in area be? Round to the nearest tenth.
Solution: 25.6 feet