CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
January 21, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Responsibility of a Middle School Student
As educators, it's our job to guide the students to be successful throughout their educational experience. As middle school educators, this can be a challenging task due to many factors. Students struggle for all sorts of reasons. At times we, along with parents, reach a point where we ask ourselves, "What more can I do for my students/child(ren)?" Students can also learn how to own their own learning. With the help of an article posted on Edutopia, here is a list that mentions what students should be responsible for as a student in middle school:
1. Be your own advocate.
2. Ask lots of questions.
3. Communicate your struggles to teachers.
4. Think of school as your office in training, and ask yourself if you are a good co-worker?
5. Dress for success (suits are not necessary).
6. At least do the minimum, but better yet, do more!
7. Sweat a little. Not everything is supposed to come easy.
8. Find ways to relate to your reading, writing, and other lessons being taught.
9. Be there: physically and mentally.
10. Surround yourself with peers that can help you and who are good influencers.
Although educators and parents are always rooting for students to succeed, it's also our job to guide them to become responsible for their own success!
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
REMINDER: Science Assessment~ Grade 7
Important Reminders for Delayed Openings
- Staff will be available for drop off to begin at 9:30 AM.
- Homeroom begins at 10:00 AM.
- After 10:00 AM, students need to enter through the front door for a tardy pass. Please drive around to the front to drop them off since the other doors will be closed.
Marking Period 3 Schedules
5th Grade Organizational Lab
Thank you, Marie!
Movie Lunches at CDW
PTO Club Highlight: Book-Making and Calligraphy Club
Grade 7 Science Follow Up: Owl Pellets
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
February - BADMINTON
March through April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
CDW BOYS' & GIRLS' BASKETBALL UPDATES
- All spectators must wear a safety mask when in the building.
- UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, SPECTATORS FOR HOME & AWAY GAMES ARE LIMITED TO IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS.
- Students of CDW will be reminded that they will not be permitted back in the building to attend a game. Unfortunately, we need to maximize seating spaces and reduce the number of spectators while Covid19 transmissions rates remain high.
Any questions, please contact Mr. Lauriello @ Lauriello@nvnet.org.
Way to Go CDW Knights!
The boys' basketball team beat Northvale on Tuesday and Closter on Wednesday and again on Thursday of this week to move to a record of 6-0!
The girls' basketball team had a successful week as well with wins against Northvale and Closter! Their record is also 6-0!
Click on the Go Knights picture below for the updated schedule.
8th Grade Updates: Information from NVOT About High School Conferences and Planning
In preparation for scheduling, NVOT now invites Students and Parents to view their Scheduling Information Presentation, particularly the Program of Studies & Course Selection Sheet: Program of Studies / Scheduling Information Presentation.
If you have not signed up for our child(ren)'s NVOT Conference, please sign up HERE as soon as possible. Refer to the letter sent via email from Ms. Santa on January 4th for more information.
Every 8th Grader has been invited to Mrs. Richardson's Google Classroom and has access to all high school information. If you have any further questions, please email Mrs. Richardson at email@example.com.
Grades 5, 6, 7 Parents
Mrs. Richardson can be reached at 201-664-1475 ext 2203 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Speaking with Mrs. Richardson first will ensure a smooth application process.
Marking Period 2 Dates
End of Marking Period~ January 27, 2022
Parent Portal Open for Viewing~ February 1, 2022
However, if we have another Snow Day, I will inform you through the Weekly Wrap-Up of any calendar adjustments.
PTO Special Lunch: Lunar New Year on February 3rd!
The PTO is sponsoring a special lunch on February 3rd to celebrate the Lunar New Year. The options will be a choice from 2 bento boxes, each individually packaged from Rainbow in Closter.
1. $8 - Rice, Japchae, Jeon, Fried dumplings
2. $9 - Rice, Bulgogi, Japchae, Fried dumpling
You may order through the PTO Website.
Dressing for the Weather
Harry Potter Read-Aloud
A sign out sheet will be available each Tuesday in the cafeteria. Students must sign out of lunch to attend.
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge
As of January 7th, we have 410 lbs. of plastic!!!
CDW Clubs 2021-2022
More clubs will be added as their schedules are confirmed.
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Chromebook Insurance Information
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) need assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Tuesday, January 25th~ The Grade 7 Science Assessment will take place during Periods 2-4.
Thursday, January 27th~ Marking Period 2 Ends (Report Cards will be viewable via the Parent Portal on February 1st at 12PM.)
Tuesday, January 27th~ 6th Grade Presentation by the NVOT Heroes and Cool Kids Club
Thursday, January 27th~ CDW Film Festival for Creative Writing Classes 6:00 PM (invite only)
Tuesday, February 1st~ Report Cards for Marking Period 2 are available at 12:00 PM via the Genesis Parent Portal
Thursday, February 3rd~ PTO Lunar New Year Lunch (pre-order on the PTO website)
Thursday, February 10th~ 8th Grade Sharpe Parent Information Meeting at 6:00 PM
Monday, February 21st-Friday, February 25th~ February Recess- No School for Students