WELCOME BACK COUGARS!
2022-2023 School Year
We are excited to welcome students and families to the 2022-2023 school year! We have been through a lot over the past two years and we are a resilient learning community and family. We are delighted that you will be a part of our amazing learning community this year as we return for the new school year.
This promises to be a year filled with phenomenal learning experiences. As we embark on this learning adventure, we pledge to students and parents that this will be a year of rigorous, relevant and engaging work in our classrooms, along with special events and activities. We invite and encourage families to work in partnership with us and to join us for school activities and events whenever possible. We value your involvement and support in your child's education.
We also value the communication connection and partnership between home and school and encourage you to contact us when the need arises and to stay in the know about your child's studies, assignments, assessments and school activities.
For families that are new to Copper Hill Elementary, we want you to know that you are coming to a wonderful place to learn and grow! Copper Hill Elementary has an incredible and caring staff and is the perfect place to do the most important work in the world!
This year our Cougars are BRAVE, SMART, KIND, and READY! Ready to take on new academic challenges, make new friends, and ready for FUN!
Any questions, or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out.
With great excitement,
Jesse Lockett & Amy Switkes
NEW STAFF MEMBERS!
Dear Copper Hill Elementary Community,
I am very excited about joining the teaching staff at Copper Hill as a teacher in PreK! I began
teaching at Desmares in 2008 in First Grade and after three years, taught Kindergarten for the
next 11 years. It has been a long-term goal of mine to teach PreK and am thrilled to be able to
have this opportunity in our district at Copper Hill.
My husband and I have two daughters, one of which we just helped move to Fayetteville, AR so
that she can begin her graduate studies doing bat research. Our other daughter is an artist and
conservation advocate and works and lives in Philadelphia. We live in nearby Skillman, NJ and
love hiking and biking in the beautiful surrounding Sourland Mountain area. Looking forward to
meeting everyone and teaching at Copper Hill Elementary!
Ms. Kotlarchick-1st Grade
Ms. Gaertner-2nd Grade
Ms. Ostriewski-3rd Grade
Ms. Ferreira-4th Grade
Ms. Fuchs-School Counselor
Ms. Yuzon-School Nurse
Hola Cougars!!! My name is Mrs. Morales. I am honored to teach World Language/ESL at Copperhill Elementary. I graduated with honors from Montclair State University with a bachelors in Family and Child Studies back in 2006. Since then I have been in the education field and I love it! I started my career at the Pre-K level over at The Children’s Corner in Basking Ridge, NJ. I worked my way to the elementary and middle school levels teaching second, seventh and eighth grade at Abundant Life Academy in Nutley NJ. I have taught at the sixth grade level too over at McKinley Elementary in Newark, NJ. Recently I have taught third grade over at Robert Hunter Elementary right here in Flemington. In total I have over 14 years of experience and I am excited to continue my journey with the Copperhill family. We will have so much fun learning Spanish in class!
Please join us in welcoming our new teaching assistants to the Copper Hill team!
9/16/22- Ice Pop Social 5:30 p.m.
9/22/22- PTO Community Meeting
9/26/22- School Closed, Rosh Hashanah
9/27, 9/28, 9/30- Picture Days (Schedule to Follow)
9/29/22- Early Dismissal, Back to School Night
Absences and Changes in Your Child's Routine!
- If your child is ABSENT or TARDY for any reason, please call the Copper Hill ATTENDANCE LINE by dialing 908-284-7665 or report an absence online here. Leave a message detailing the nature of the absence, your child’s name and his/her teacher’s name. Messages may be left at any time of night or morning and are retrieved on a daily basis.
- If your child needs to be DISMISSED EARLY, please send a note to school with your child in the morning, listing the time for pick-up and the reason. Children leaving school prior to 3:25 pm will be marked as an early dismissal. Please note, three tardies or early dismissals count as one absence.
- If your child normally rides the bus but will need to be PICKED UP at dismissal time, please send a note with your child that morning.
- Please DO NOT leave information regarding your child’s change in dismissal on a teacher’s e-mail or voicemail. They often do not have an opportunity to check their e-mail during the day and your message may not be communicated.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEND A NOTE WITH YOUR CHILD IN THE MORNING FOR ANY CHANGE IN YOUR CHILD'S ROUTINE.
Arrival and Dismissal Locations
Parent drop-off and pick-up at gym entrance
YMCA before-care at gym overhang
Buses drop-off at blacktop by playground
Van drop-off at front entrance
Preschool drop-off at preschool entrance
Safety and Security
- Do not hold any doors for visitors.
- Use the crosswalks in the parking lot.
- Obey the 15 mph speed limit in our parking lot.
- Student drop off begins at 8:45 am. Please wait at the stop sign, until being waved on by one of our staff members wearing bright green vests.
- When exiting the drop off area, please be aware of buses that may still be entering the back parking lot or leaving the school.
- If you are dropping your child off after 8:55 am, please park your car in the main parking lot and walk your child into the building and check in with the main office.
- DO NOT park your vehicle in the front driveway of the building.
- For the safety and security of our staff and students, monthly fire and security drills are conducted.
Breakfast and Lunch 2022-2023
Breakfast and lunch are no longer free!
- Breakfast and lunch options are available for all students this year. Please visit Maschio's website for updated menus and other important information.
- Kindergarten Parents: Please pack your child's lunch during the month of September as we allow our students time to get acclimated to our lunch routines and procedures. Please prepare your child for lunch by helping them open containers.
- For safety purposes, please refrain from sending in glass bottles or glass tupperware.
Lunch Choices Photos
From Our PTO
2022-2023 PTO Executive Board
Co-President Jacque Beason
Co-President Lauren Levin
Co-Vice President Alyssa Kayser
Co-Vice President Caitlin Ryan Persche
Treasurer Katherine Sun
Secretary Christina Eliades