5th Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Cook - Language Arts & Social Studies
This week we are reviewing some of the skills we've learned so far (main idea, vocab strategies, comparing/contrasting) by "Close Reading" an article about Benjamin Franklin. We are also continuing our study of the 13 colonies this week. We will be using our comprehension skills as we read the Social Studies Weekly.
*We DO have WTW this week.
Scholastic Book Order: Your student may bring home Scholastic Orders from time to time. If you would like to purchase, the easiest way is by going online to: www.scholastic.com/bookclubs and using our class code: MCQ9Z
If online ordering doesn't suit you, you may choose to send a check (made payable to Scholastic). This helps us to earn FREE books for our classroom! :) I will submit the orders at the end of each month. Our next order will be submitted the day we come back from Thanksgiving Break in order for it to be back before we leave for Christmas Break.
Ms. Price - Math
- Perform multi-digit multiplication with decimal numbers.
- Round decimal numbers to the nearest tenth or hundredth.
- Divide multi-digit numbers by single digit divisors
- Solve division problems with remainders, and relate the size of the remainder to the divisor.
Accelerated math is homework every night!
Mrs. Young - Science
Block 1: We are wrapping up our Forces and Motion unit with a foldable activity and will take the test on Thursday. They will be bringing home their next project information sheet on Thursday. It is called Balloon Racers. This project will be due on Thursday, November 17th.
Block 2 & 3: We finished up our unit on Forces and Motion. They will be taking their test on Tuesday. Block 2 received their project information today. Their Balloon Racers are due next Monday, November 14th. Block 3 received theirs last Thursday. Their Balloon Racers are due Thursday, November 12th.
Info for Parents & Students
- Please be sure to sign your child's planner each night in PEN with your FULL name (no initials). Students need to be proactive by bringing their planner to you with all of their homework listed.
- Each Friday there will be a conduct grade written into your child's planner. This conduct grade takes into consideration behavior, talking, work ethic (classwork & homework), and how well the 7 Habits have been followed each week.
Thanksgiving Sign Up
**Also, please note that the pies must be STORE BOUGHT. They cannot be homemade.