March 4, 2022
March Observances -
Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
Irish American Heritage Month
Women’s History Month
Lent (Christian) 3/2 - 4/14
International Women’s Day 3/8
Purim (Jewish) (Starts the evening of the 16th and ends the evening of the 17th)
St. Patrick’s Day - 3/17
Holi (Hindu/Sikh) - 3/19
Naw-Ruz (Persian New Year) 3/20- 21
Cesar Chavez Day - 3/31
Mesa Verde Events -
Decade of Disco Party - 3/18
Incoming 6th grade Parent Night
Minimum Days - 3/24, 3/25
Wear School Colors (black, purple, teal) every Friday - 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25
- Remind your student to bring a mask from home.
- Keep your student home and call the attendance office (858-538-5478 x. 3104) if your student is sick.
- Join the PTSA today (Information available below)
- Follow Mesa Verde and Principal Moore on Instagram @mesaverdems and @principal_moore!
Index of Information
NEW! before a title within the newsletter denotes that it is a new posting this week.
- Message from the Principal
- Eagle Shout Outs
- Friendly Reminder: Checking Out Your Student Early
- 6th Grade Camp - Outdoor Education
- Incoming 6th grade Parent Night
- Course Selection for 2022-2023
- ASB March Calendar of Events
- Decade Disco Party
- Give Kids a Smile Program
- 2022-2023 OCIS PE Applications are Available
- ASES has Before and After School Openings
- COVID Guidelines in a School Setting
- Student Kickball Tournament
- Newsletter, Website, Social Media Request Form
- Running Late?
- Charges for Damaged Chromebooks
- Did You Know...
- Join PTSA Today
- No Place For Hate Club
- Caring Connections Counseling
- Parent Education
- Volunteers/Job Opportunities
- Additional Information and Links
- Contact Us
NEW! Message from the Principal
We hope you all had a great February break! Our students and staff jumped right back into things this week and we have some exciting things coming up!
ASB will be hosting March Madness every Monday in March. Students were able to sign up this week and will start the competition next week! Tickets also go on sale next week for ASB's first Party in over two years! The Decade of Disco party is going to be a blast! Please make sure to print the permission slip and have your student bring that and their ID card when they purchase their ticket.
Starting next week, students will begin selecting their course requests for next year, and we will be visiting our feeder elementary schools throughout the month. Two parent nights for incoming 6th grade parents are scheduled for the end of the month - March 23 and March 30. We are so looking forward to welcoming our newest Eagles!
The end of Quarter 3 is only three weeks away! Have a wonderful weekend!
Your Proud Principal,
NEW! Eagle Shout Outs
Let’s hear it for this week’s Eagles who help us Rise Together!
NEW! FRIENDLY REMINDER: CHECKING OUT YOUR STUDENT EARLY
OFF CAMPUS PASSES (Early Release):
Student safety is a major concern for us. Students must be signed out at the attendance desk before departing early. Students are not allowed to wait in front of the school to be picked up during school hours.
If your student needs to leave early from school, please send a note with your student. Notes should be given to the Attendance secretary, NOT your student's teacher, before school. Calling the school in advance, or sending a note, will prevent delays for you (such as trying to get your student while they are running cross-country) and will help us to minimize interruptions to the classrooms. If you schedule a last minute appointment to send a note you may call the Attendance Hotline @ 538-5692 to have an off campus pass sent to your student.
When writing a note please indicate:
- Your student's first and last name
- Their grade
- The time your student needs to leave school
- Whether or not your student will return that day
Please meet your child at the attendance desk to be signed out at the time of departure. Be prepared to show your identification when checking out your child.
If your student returns to school after being picked up early, please have him/her check back in at the Attendance desk before heading to class.
NEW! 6th grade Camp – Outdoor Education
Attention 6th Grade Parents, please keep an eye out for camp packets coming home on Monday next week. Please read through the documentation in its entirety as there have been changes as opposed to previous years.
New! Course Selection for 2022-2023
It’s the most exciting time of the year – course selection!
Current 7th grade students will receive information on choosing their elective for next school year on Monday, March 7th. Students will hear a presentation from the School Counselors that includes what the elective options are and how to make their choices in Synery StudentVue. Students will input their elective choices in Synergy from March 8 - March 13th at 11:59 pm. The presentation and the instructions for how to input course requests into StudentVue will be emailed to parents on March 8th and included in next week’s Eagle News.
Current 6th grade students will receive information on choosing their elective for next school year on Monday, March 14th. Students will hear a presentation from the School Counselors that includes what the elective options are and how to make their choices in Synergy StudentVue. Students will input their elective choices in Synergy from March 14 - March 20th at 11:59 pm. The presentation and the instructions for how to input course requests into StudentVue will be available in the Eagle News next Friday, March 11th.
NEW! Incoming 6th Grade Parent Night
NEW! ASB March Calendar of Events
NEW! Save the Date for the Decade Disco Party March 18th
NEW! Give Kids a Smile Program
2022-2023 OCIS-PE Applications are Available
If you plan to continue OCIS-PE next year, you must submit a new application for the 2022-2023 school year. Fall 2022-2023 OCIS-PE applications can be found on the PUSD website. Completed applications are due March 18th, 2022.
If needed, a hard copy can be found in MVMS Assistant Principal's office. If you/your student is a current 8th grader and continuing OCIS-PE in high school, your application will be turned in to the high school your student is enrolled in by March 18th. Currently enrolled OCIS-PE students, require a new application for the 2022-2023 school year.
Student Kickball Tournament
PTSA is looking for a committee of MVMS parent/family members to help lead a kickball tournament for students sometime in March or April after school.
Let's help make this happen! Volunteer today! Email email@example.com to volunteer!
Newsletter, Website, Social Media Request Form
If you have information you would like included in our weekly newsletter, on our website, or on our school's social media platforms, please use use this link to submit your request. Your request does NOT guarantee that your information will be included. Please note that we may edit your submission (content, length, etc.) but will contact you if our edits would change or remove pertinent information.
We hope this will help streamline the way we collect and are able to share information with our staff, students, and community.
Charges for Damaged Chromebooks
According to Board Policy 6161.2, when materials are lost or so damaged that they are no longer usable, the student shall be immediately issued a replacement material. However, students or parents/guardians shall be responsible for reparation equal to the current replacement cost of the materials. PUSD Information Technology Department has provided a list of charges for various damage scenarios.
Chromebook/ Chromebook Accessories
Damaged/Lost Chromebook ($238.00)
Power Adapter/Charger ($30.00)
LCD Screen Replacement ($69.00)
LCD Top Cover ($69.00)
Palmrest/Keyboard/Touchpad replacement ($109.00)
Base Plate/Assembly ($69.00)
Keyboard/2 or more keys missing ($59.00)
Chromebook case ($33.00)
When a chromebook is damaged, students are responsible for the cost of the repair. Any students who have had damage to their chromebook this year have already had a charge added to their Destiny account. Next week, we will begin sending emails to families with a repair charge to provide information on how to pay for those repair costs.
Many of the damages we have seen so far this year could have been avoided. Please take a few minutes to speak with your child(ren) about the cost to repair these damages and remind them that their chromebook is theirs until it has to be "retired." We appreciate your support!
Join PTSA Today
In just a few minutes you can complete your membership for you and or your family. Join today!
Your MVMS PTSA made this happen:
Bleachers for Choir
Winter Fun Fest
Teacher & Staff Appreciation
PTSA Financially Supports: Kindness Campaign, No Place for Hate, 6th grade orientation, 8th Grade Promotion, Books for Library Reading Club, and much more.
Did You Know…
Thank you to everyone who has donated to this year's Pledge Drive. Did you know your generous donation to the Foundation may easily be DOUBLED?! Many companies in our community have programs that match employee donations to qualified charitable organizations, such as the Mesa Verde Foundation. Please check with your HR department, or use this link to see if your company offers matching. Doubling your gift can be as easy as making a phone call or sending an email to your company! If you have any questions or need assistance regarding corporate matching, please contact our treasurer, Carolyn Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We rely on our parent community to make this school everything it can be for our students, and we truly appreciate your support. Donations can be made online at https://mvmsfoundation.org/pledgedrive.html.
Thank you for all you do for our Eagles!
8th Grade Transition to High School
It’s that time of year that we begin to start planning for our 8th graders transition to high school. If you have an older child and have been through this, you are probably more at ease than a parent who is approaching this transition for the first time. Our 8th graders often feel great anticipation and excitement as they make the last major transition within their K-12 education. We hope that the information below eases any questions that you might be having. The MVMS Counselors and HS Counselors are here to help and guide you and your 8th grader through this transition.
What School Does My Child Attend?
Most of our Mesa Verde Families are slated for their 8th graders to attend Westview High School.
● We also have other families who are slated to attend Mt. Carmel High School, in addition to families that live in a zone that can choose either school.
○ The families that can choose receive a letter from PUSD with a date in which they need to confirm their high school choice.
● Lastly we have families with intradistrict transfers who may be slated to attend Poway HS, Rancho Bernardo HS or Del Norte HS. If you reside within PUSD or outside of PUSD boundaries and want your child to attend another high school which he/she is not slated to attend, you will need to complete a transfer request located on PUSD website: https://www.powayusd.com/en-US/Departments/Attendance-Discipline/Student-Transfer-Requests/FAQs-for-Residency-Transfers This link contains transfer information on both intradistrict (residing within PUSD) and interdistrict (residing outside of PUSD). If you are requesting a transfer and you reside within PUSD, your child will still need to complete the course selection for the high school he/she should attend. Once the transfer request has been approved, the course selection will be transferred to the high school he/she is approved to attend. The transfer window is open from February 1, 2022 to March 31, 2022, until 5 pm.
On March 8th, all MVMS 8th grade students will hear presentations from a Westview School Counselor in their Humanities Classes. On March 10th all 8th grade students who are slated to attend Mt. Carmel will be invited to attend a lunchtime presentation in the Eagle Center facilitated by a Mt. Carmel School Counselor. Any of our 8th grade students who are interested in hearing about Mt. Carmel are welcome to drop by and listen as well.
● After these presentations, each HS will typically post their slideshow on their website.
● You will also find information regarding 8th grade family nights that our high schools facilitate on their campuses.
· These evening presentations are for both the student and parent/guardian to attend and go over much of the information that students hear when counselors visit their school sites.
· In addition, this allows for an opportunity to get a feel of the layout of the campus.
· Families are welcome to attend any of the Family Night presentations at any of the schools (in case you want to know further information if you are thinking of a transfer request). Check the high school websites at the end of February for this information.
· 8th grade students will need to begin to think about their course selection for high school and begin entering courses online through student vue when the window to do so opens.
· Students who have an IEP will have a transition meeting scheduled in which course selection will be discussed.
Link to PUSD High Schools Information and Family Nights: https://sites.google.com/powayusd.com/pusd8thgradecrf/home
Caring Connections Counseling
Did you know that the Caring Connections Center provides a FREE 90 minute "family conference" for all PUSD students TK-12 and their families? The purpose of the "family conference" is to put together an action plan to help support our students socially/emotionally, academically, and behaviorally. Check out the brochure for more information and contact details.
PARENTS: Poway Adult School Opportunities
Parents, A new year is a great time to head back to school! Poway Adult School offers low-cost career training classes for you to upskill. Just need some help tuning up your resume or someone to discuss a career change idea? The Poway (Unified) Adult School provides free career guidance, high school diploma classes for adults and GED prep as well. Call Jon at (858) 668-4022 or go online at www.powayadultschool.com and check out our catalog pages 5-11 for career training and free workshops. Make an appointment for free career support at https://calendly.com/help4careers/30min
March 2022 Parent Education Courses:
- Discover Your Personal Core Values – All Grades In Person
- Help Your Children Manage Stress and Anxiety – TK -5th Grade In Person
- Effective Strategies to Advocate for Your Child in Special Education - All Grades NEW Course Online via ZOOM
- Parenting Well Through Life Changes - All Grades NEW Course Online via ZOOM
- Nurturing Sexual Intelligence in Our Children – All Grades In Person
- Managing Parental Stress – All Grades In Person
Parents can also visit our website at https://www.powayusd.com/en-US/Parents/Active-Parenting and search for the course they are interested in and enroll directly from our site.
Please note, scholarships are available to parents who may be in need. Parent can contact the Caring Connections Center for more information.
Free Teen Alcohol Awareness Program
New guidance from the Poway Unified Board of Education is allowing us to expand our volunteer opportunities, effective 10/18/21. Volunteers must be fully-vaccinated and show proof of vaccination or show proof of a negative PCR COVID test within the 72 hours prior to volunteering. If you would like more information, please contact Natalie Reyes at (858) 538-5478 or email@example.com.
Sign up here if you would like to hear more.
The Mesa Verde library is looking for volunteers to help in the library during the lunch periods (Mon/Tues/Thur/Fri 11:00 to 12:40 and Wednesdays 11:40 to 1:00) once we are permitted to have volunteers again. We need help assisting and supervising students during our busy lunch periods. Volunteers may choose which day of the week and how often you would like to come in (once a week, every other week, once a month, etc.) If you are interested please contact Heather Ryan: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will collect this information now to have it in preparation for when volunteers are allowed.
If you are not sure if you are an approved volunteer, contact Natalie Reyes at (858) 538-5478 or email@example.com.