April 28, 2021
HELPFUL HINTS FOR MONDAY
This will be a significant increase in the number of vehicles around campus each day, so please remember the following guidelines:
- Students may not cross the street in the middle of the block. If you are parked across the street, your child should walk to the intersection of Blossom Valley and Westchester to cross the street.
- Please do not make a left turn into the main parking lot. Please make your way to campus via Westchester.
- Students should stay out of the parking lot, unless accompanied by an adult.
- Fourth and fifth graders who are riding their bikes to school, must walk their bikes as soon as they leave the public sidewalk. They may not ride in the parking lot.
Drop Off and Pick Up
- Drop off and pick up times are staggered for health and safety reasons. Children may only enter campus at their assigned gate and during the assigned time slot.
- Children may not be on campus before and after school because we do not have supervision during those times.
- If your child is waiting for a sibling, they must exit campus with their class. Then they can wait by the siblings assigned gate. They may not wait by the sibling's classroom.
- If your child is late for their assigned drop off time, please accompany them to gate B (by the office) and call 408.356.6146.
- Please consider walking your child to school. It's good for the environment and good for your body.
- All adults and students must wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth. This includes during drop off and pick up.
- Please leave all dogs at home during drop off and pick up.
- Parents, volunteers and visitors may not enter campus with students. Please call the office if you need assistance.
Alta Vista Cares: Center for African Peace & Research
Alta Vista's last community service project of the school year is a medical supplies drive for Somalia. Due to war, COVID-19, drought and famine, Somalia is experiencing a healthcare crisis that disproportionately impacts children and families. Our community partner, Center for African Peace and Research, is seeking urgently-needed medical kits for children and families in Somalia. They are specifically asking for certain medical items, so we've put together a signup. Our Alta Vista Cares drive will continue through May 15th.
HOME & SCHOOL CLUB NEWS
SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR
The Scholastic Book Fair is back! While the Fair will be held online this spring, we still plan on making it a fun and joyous experience for our kids. Our Virtual Fair features:
A fully Virtual Fair so you and your kids can experience the joy of the Book Fair experience! Browse nearly 300 titles by grade, meet popular authors, watch book videos, and discover the magic of reading
Direct access to over 6,000 additional titles with family-friendly prices at the Scholastic Store Online
Every dollar you spend will benefit our school directly (25% back in rewards for every purchase!)
Save these dates and view our school’s Fair site:
- Fair Dates: May 12th – May 25th
- Check out our spring interactive booklist for a sneak peek of offerings!
- Virtual Store: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/altavistaelementaryschool3
We can’t wait to “see” you at the Fair!
AUTHOR VISIT - THIRD THROUGH FIFTH GRADE
Alta Vista Home & School Club and Hicklebees Present:
Author Visit for Grades 3-5, Featuring Trudi Truitt
Author of the National Geographic Kids Explorer Academy Series
Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 1:00pm
Zoom Link to Come
TRUDI TRUEIT has written more than 100 books for young readers, both fiction and nonfiction. Her love of writing began in fourth grade, when she wrote, directed, and starred in her first play. She went on to be a TV news reporter and weather forecaster, but she knew her calling was in writing. Trueit is a gifted storyteller for middle-grade audiences, and her fiction novels include The Sister Solution, Stealing Popular, and the Secrets of a Lab Rat series. Her expertise in kids nonfiction encompasses books on history, weather, wildlife, and earth science. She is the author of all the narratives for the Explorer
Academy series, beginning with Explorer Academy: The Nebula Secret. Trueit was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, and lives in Everett, Washington.
Check out the flyer below for more details about the visit and the series:
- Book trailer: https://youtu.be/ke-mN0occlg
- EA cartoon short: https://youtu.be/kCWmHdbcP_c.
You can purchase signed copies of Explorers Academy titles by May 12th here:
Signed Book Copies will be delivered after the event.
FIFTH GRADE PROMOTION SIGNS
If you would like to order a personalized yard sign to celebrate your fifth grader's promotion ceremony, click here to order:
The sign company will donate $10 to Alta Vista Home and School Club for each sign ordered. If you order free delivery, the sign will be delivered and installed on your front lawn within 5 days of your completed order.