Magruder News August 2023
Magruder High School Community Newsletter
Welcome to the Magruder Community Newsletter!
This summer edition of the newsletter includes announcements and resources.
- A weekly edition will be coming out via email and social media each Sunday afternoon.
- Magruder families should be receiving a postcard that includes a link and directions on how to access Back-to-School information and resources.
- Traditional emails will be sent to all students and parents for more time sensitive and important information and announcements. These items will also be posted on the news feed of the MHS webpage.
- Daily morning announcements from the Magruder TV broadcast team will be sent out daily via Synergy ParentVUE and/or StudentVUE email.
- Follow Mr. Ascienzo for updates and links to the weekly newsletters at Twitter: @MHS_principal & instagram: magruderhs_principal.
- Specific staff emails may be found on the the staff directory of our school webpage.
Mr. Chris Ascienzo, Magruder principal, welcomes all parents, guardians, and students to the 2023-2024 school year! As your new principal as of July 3, 2023, I am excited to serve the Magruder community and our vision and mission for academic excellence as we ready students for college, career, and community.
- I want to thank Dr. Lee Evans for his outstanding leadership of Magruder as the principal for the past 16 years.
- I continue to work closely with our MCPS central office area director Mr. Greg Mullenholz to have a smooth transition into the principalship.
- Read my community welcome letter here.
On behalf of the entire Magruder High School staff, we welcome all new and returning students and parents to the Magruder family. We hope that you are still finding time to refresh and recharge over the summer. Our instructional leadership and building maintenance staff has worked throughout July and into August to prepare our classrooms, grounds, and learning spaces to meet the needs of every one of our over 1,650 students.
Back to School Resources
The Back to School Resources quick link on the school webpage contains important information to welcome everyone to the new school year. Most requested topics include:
- Daily Bell Schedules
- Student Parking Permit Application Instructions
- Administrator and Counselor Assignments
- Instructions for registering and accessing ParentVUE and StudentVUE (Click here for instructions on how to register and update your account)
Upcoming Community & Family Events
- August 15 (Tuesday) Magruder Cluster Pop Up: 4:30-5:30 @ Mill Creek Towne Poll & 6:00-7:00 @ Flower Hill Pool
- August 24 (Thursday) new STUDENT orientation 7:45am-12:00noon and new PARENT/GUARDIAN orientation 6:00pm-7:00pm @ Magruder HS
- September 7 (Thursday) Back-to-School Night 6:00pm-9:00pm @ Magruder HS
- September 8 (Friday) Cluster Night 6:30-9:00pm @ Magruder HS home varsity football game
Magruder Needs Student Language Translators & Ambassadors!
- If interested please submit the Student Translation Interest form linked here or scan the QR code.
- Students would serve as translators to small and/or large groups of families.
- We are looking for all languages including Spanish, French, Chinese, Korean, & Vietnamese.
- Upcoming events for translators include Aug. 24th New Parent Orientation 6-7pm and Sept. 7th Back-to-School Night 6-9pm.
- Students will earn SSL hours for the time they serve.
Please Join the Magruder Parent Teacher Student Association!
Please click here to join the Magruder PTSA this school year.
- The Magruder PTSA advocates at the school and county level to support our school community, provides programming, supports student clubs, scholarships, staff appreciation, and more.
- Visit the Magruder PTSA website to learn more and contact Kim Glassman, PTSA President, if you have questions or want to volunteer.
Interested in the Magruder Renaming Steering Committee?
- Mr. Ascienzo will follow up with next steps.
- For more information on the renaming process, click here for the school website.
Free Planet Fitness Gym Memberships
- Click here to register now
- Teens who register can help win a grant for their school and participate in a video contest for a chance to win a scholarship.
Information on Meals, ParentVue, Finances, and other Parent Items
Click here to visit the MHS website for important information including:
- Daily information such as bell schedules
- Staff directory with email and phone contacts of all staff
- Student Service Learning (SSL) hours
FREE & REDUCED Meal Plans
- Families of students who may qualify for free and reduced-price lunch meals can apply for assistance for school meals.
- Apply here and learn more about the program.
All MCPS families should register for a ParentVUE account and ensure your contact information is up-to-date.
- Click here for instructions on how to register and update your account.
- Parents and guardians can view instructional information and resources, and get alerts about assignments and grades through ParentVUE
- Click on these links to set up your ParentVUE account: English, Spanish, French,
- Students, please go HERE to set up your StudentVue accounts.
MCPS uses SchoolCash Online as the preferred method to pay for all school-related fees.
- Parents/guardians can register now online!
Magruder News Family Newsletters Archives
Check here for past newsletters once the school year begins.
Magruder High School
Administrator Email Contact Information:
Chris Ascienzo Principal
Brian Gertzen, Assistant Principal
Clark Montgomery, Assistant Principal
Kristi Ricca, Assistant Principal
Mitzy Seyoum, Assistant Principal