Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 12/1
Our Week Ahead...
I wanted to remind you about Read Theory, a wonderful website for practice reading passages and answering questions online. The website is www.readtheory.org. Both NWEA and MCA Reading assessments are online this year and students will have increasing assignments working with technology, so it is very important that students gain experience reading online. This website adjusts reading level based on performance on quizzes, so it is tailored to meet every child's needs. Your child received a log in card that is taped in his or her planner/home binder. In the event this information is misplaced, please email me for your child's log-in information. I hope to see many students utilizing this resource at home.
Please note: I will be out of the classroom next week (Week of 12/8-12/12). Please contact the office with any transportation changes or other questions throughout the week. There is a 2-hour early release on Wednesday, 12/10. If your child will have alternate transportation on this date, please notify me this week so I can make a note for the substitute teacher or contact the office during the week of 12/8. Thank you so much!
Stone Soup Feast - Sharing Our Thankfulness!
Updates, Objectives, and Links...Oh My!
This Week's Important Updates:
Scholastic Book Orders: Orders went home before break (last Tuesday) and are due this Friday, 12/5. This will ensure that orders are delivered prior to winter break. If you would like any books set aside for holiday gifts, please let me know. I would be happy to bring your order to the office for you to pick up in secret at your convenience! You may order online (using code HYTRX) or with cash or check to the classroom.
Toy and Gift Drive: Christmas shopping? The staff and students of K-M Elementary School are collecting toys and gifts for the local Care and Share Charity Fund which provides help for local families in times of need. Students are invited to bring a NEW unwrapped toy or gift to school THIS week, December 1-5. We are looking for toys, games, CD’s, books and gift certificates for children of all ages -- particularly infants and teens and those in between. Please no stuffed animals. Items collected are showcased in the art display case. Thank you for your generosity!
Chip Shoppe PTA Fundraiser: We are doing something new and exciting this year at Kasson-Mantorville Elementary. Our school has joined together with The Chip Shoppe to generate extra funds to enrich the educational experience for all of our students. Choose from a wonderful selection of products including food made in the midwest. Products will be delivered just in time for holiday gifts! Each online donation counts as an item sold, in regard to prizes, or you can make a direct donation to the school.
Correction to the Fundraising Packets: Please make all Chip Shoppe checks to the KMES PTA. Thank you!
**Orders Due This Wednesday, December 3rd
Dec. 18th: 3:00 - 6:30 Pick up in the elementary gym
- IXL: IXL log-in information is as follows: www.ixl.com/kmps / User: firstinitiallastname@kmps (ex. rspencer@kmps) / PW: Lunch Number. This is a great resource for further practice on skills we are studying as well as enrichment in new areas of study!
- Homework Routines: Remember: students are assigned to reading 25-30+ minutes nightly, practicing math facts for 5-10+, completing the nightly Study Link/math assignment, and completing a spelling assignment nightly.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans. This is very important! Thank you!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are creating postcards with information from the story Letters Home from Yosemite.
- We are reading Amelia and Eleanor and working on the skill of summarizing.
- We are expanding vocabulary by focusing on learning new robust vocabulary.
- We are building reading stamina and learning about various types of book reviews.
- We are beginning Unit 5 this week. Please look for the Family Letter to come home this evening. Here is a link to further information about this unit: http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/parents/4th-grade/em-at-home/unit_5/
- We are practicing with extended multiplication facts.
- We are learning the game "Multiplication Wrestling" to practice solving 2 x 2 digit multiplication problems.
- We are estimating sums and products.
- We are developing speed and accuracy with multiplication and division facts.
- In Science, we are learning about properties of various rocks and minerals.
- In Social Studies, students are learning about the midwest region of the United States. Students should be studying the states/capitals and locations of the states in the midwest region. Look for a test date to be written in your child's planner soon!
Weekly Learning Links:
Read and listen to books online!
User Name: kassonm
This site features a "Wonder of the Day," and also has questions and video clips to go along with each day's wonder. This is another great resource for practicing reading online.
Read Theory (Online reading passages/questions): www.readtheory.org
All Math Study Links: http://www.mrnale.com/StudyLinks_Grade_4.htm
Big IQ Kids Spelling/Vocab: www.bigiqkids.com
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.