The Weekly Update
from SD State Library School Library Services
March 7, 2022
South Dakota Children's Book Awards
VOTING IS OPEN UNTIL APRIL 1!
WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED DURING NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK!
The Prairie Bud, Prairie Bloom, and Prairie Pasque Children's Book Awards are sponsored by the South Dakota Library Association. Prairie Bud winners are determined by South Dakota PreK, kindergarten, and first grade students. Prairie Bloom winner are determined by South Dakota second and third grade students. Prairie Pasque winners are determined by South Dakota fourth and fifth grade students. Students are encouraged to read and give a star rating for any book they read from the master lists of titles. The books receiving the most highest number of stars from the students win the awards. A committee of educators and librarians select the books nominated for the awards.
Voting is as simple as reading a book on the list, clicking the Vote Here button below, and rating the book!
You can also access the voting form here: library.sd.gov/LIB/CYS/prairie/index.aspx
Share this link with your students to be able to vote, as well!
SD Children's Book Awards Nomination Guidelines
Purpose: To encourage children to become enthusiastic, discriminating readers.
Contest Books: Contest books must meet these requirements:
- Contest will be compiled of book titles, not selected authors.
- Fiction and non-fiction titles may be included.
- Books must have been published 2-3 years prior to the voting year.
- Book titles must reflect children's reading choices.
- T.V. or movie tie-ins will not be allowed.
- Books must meet regular library selection standards.
- Books must be chosen because of suitability and overall interest to children.
- Books must be in print.
- Books must be written by living authors.
- Illustrations must be artistic and suitable.
- Books may be recommended by teachers and librarians.
- Books will be appropriate for children in:
- Grades PreK - 1st for Prairie Bud
- Grades 2nd - 3rd for Prairie Bloom
- Grades 4th - 5th for Prairie Pasque
The Book Award Committee will read the books suggested by South Dakota teachers and librarians and formulate a master list of titles to be used for the book award.
For questions, contact the SD Library Association book awards committee.
*On this page, you'll also find printable "Winner" book labels!
1 List of "Almost Made It" Books
3+ Prairie Award Downloads
..from SDSL School Library Services
The Weekly Update is a correspondence from the South Dakota State Library focusing on current topics in school libraries, best practices, resources, professional development, and more.
SDSL does not endorse any service or product listed or linked to in this newsletter.