Body Image, the media, and eating disorders
- Women account for 90-95% of eating disorders.
- About 8 million people in the U.S. suffer from an eating disorder.
- Anorexia has the highest cause of death rate for women 15-24.
- Men make up about 10% of those suffering anorexia/bulemia and are less likely to seek help.
- 69% of girls between the age of 10-18 say that photographs of models and celebrities inspired their body shape.
- Only 10% of people with eating disorders receive treatment.
- 15% of all young women suffer from an eating disorder.
- Eating disorders usually start during teen years but could start at age 8.
- 40% of 9-10 year old girls said they have tried to lose weight.
- At age 13, 53% of girls are unhappy with their bodies. At 17 it grows to 78%.