Prepare your bike!
- Inspect the bike, check the brakes and the tires.
- Make sure your bicycle fits you properly. Sometimes the seat can be too high or too low for your height.
- If you have to ride at night, make sure your bike has reflectors. (White lights on the front of the bike, and red lights on the back.)
Make sure you are ready!
- Before you ride, make sure you can balance the bike while you are in motion so you don't fall over.
- Wear a good fitted helmet to ensure your head doesn't get heavily damaged in a crash.
- Try to wear highly visible clothing, perhaps something that reflects light.
- Place at least one hand on the handle bars.
- Avoid objects on the road.
- Try to not ride at night.
- Ride along with traffic, obey traffic laws.
- Be sure to signal your moves.
- Be aware of your surroundings.