Just Let It Flow!
Every state in America uses hydropower. America's hydropower industry has more than 100 gigawatts of hydropower capacity. States that use hydropower have lower energy bills than other countries. It is the cheapest way to generate electricity because once you start using it, the use becomes free. Hydropower provides almost one-fifth of the worlds electricity. this renewable resource is one of the oldest renewable resources.
The plant has 3 parts:
- The electric part where all the electricity is produced.
- A dam that can be opened or closed to control the water flow.
- A reservoir where the water can be stored.
- Once built electricity can be produced at a constant rate.
- The gates can easily be shut, saving water for a later time.
- The dams can last many decades.
- The lake behind the dam can be used as a tourist attraction.
- The use of dams does not pollute the atmosphere.
- Are very expensive.
- Must be built to a very high standard.
- the dam has the risk of flooding.
- Alters the natural water table level.
- Hurts fish populations.