Encouraging Students to Read
and Increasing Circulation
- Displays are KEY!
- Change it up! The library should be a reflection of what is going on in the classroom and constantly changing student lives.
- Listen to what they want and deliver!
- Stay on top of literacy trends. Stay ahead of the game.
- Include State Reading Award Nominees and other programs.
- Incorporate challenges and incentives.
- Get outside the box.
- Rev up existing Book Clubs. Add a Virtual Book Club.
- Make parallels to content area.
- Be a reading role model. Know your books.
- Utilize Social Media and other forms of technology to spread the word, create buzz and excitement.
- Incorporate Book Trailers through QR codes or projectors.
- GET THEM IN THE LIBRARY! GET THEM COMFORTABLE! GET THEM TALKING ABOUT THE LIBRARY AND TALKING ABOUT BOOKS!
How Do We Get There?
- Marketing, marketing, and more marketing.
- Building a quality collection is the foundation.
- Fostering a warm and welcoming environment is essential.
- Forging relationships and getting patron buy-in is crucial.