Highlander Band Leadership
Qualities, Expectations and Application
MARCHING BAND MEMBERS WANTED:
Young, energetic men and women to engage in strenuous, often painful physical activity, must be willing to wear bizarre, ill-fitting, used clothing; carry awkward, sometimes weighty equipment; take instructions from supervisors employing loud bull-horns at close range; endure extreme weather conditions: e.g., hot, cold, windy, wet, dusty; engage in rapid-pace but well organized group hikes, often on very uneven but well measured ground; work long hours, often outdoors after nightfall; travel long distances by bus subsisting on irregular food. Selected applicants who establish satisfactory performance records will be expected to volunteer, once the formal period of employment ends, to return annually for additional duties for an indefinite period of years. Annual Salary: $0.00
Thank you for applying to become a member of the Marching Highlander Leadership Team.
“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” —Vince Lombardi
- I am a respected member and potential leader of the Marching Highlanders.
- I am a competent musician and respected player of my instrument.
- I am a positive, active, and dedicated member of the Marching Highlanders. My actions are exemplary.
- I am committed to performing at a high level, so I am able to assist others in doing the same.
- I am a team player and will promote band unity through my attitude and attendance at band and leadership events.
- I understand that the performance and attendance expectations are highest for drum majors.
- I will arrive prior to the start of stretching and will be prepared to remain after rehearsals to help other band members, student leaders, and the directors as needed. I understand that rehearsal equipment set up and tear down are the responsibility of the leadership team and its designees.
- I am committed to leading the band toward performing at a high level and achieving the goals it sets for the season.
- I will hold the members of the band accountable for having the required materials each rehearsal. (music and drill, pencil, etc.)
- I will support the band directors and the best interest of the Marching Highlanders.
LEADERSHIP CAMP POSSIBILITIES
- Florida State University (Tallahassee): July 10 - July 15
- Penny's Band Camp (Eckerd College, St. Petersburg): June 19-22
- Smith Walbridge Clinics (FL Gulf Coast University): June 12 - 16