By Adam Wills
What is Marijuana?
How is the drug taken into the body?
How does the drug affect the body?
Short term effects
- Sensory distortion
- Poor coordination of movement
- Lowered reaction time
- Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
Long term effects
- Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
- Suppression of the immune system
- Growth disorders
- Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
- Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
- Personality and mood changes
- Inability to understand things clearly
Signs of abuse
If somebody is abusing marijuana they may have rapid loud talking and bursts of laughter in early stages of intoxication, and sleepy or suporous in later stages. They may also have a lack of concentration and coordination inflammation in the whites of the eyes.