Welcome to AP Lang at GaVS
Ms. Crace ~ Fall 2016
Please Read Everything
Parents, please send me a quick reply to let me know you received this and can see all parts of the newsletter (pictures, videos, etc.). If you would prefer communication to be sent to another email address, please make that change within the registration system, as this is the email on record.
Students, please make sure you set up your GaVS email and check it daily, as all official emails will be sent there exclusively from about the 2nd week from the start of the semester on. You can earn extra credit if you send me a message from your GaVS email letting me know you received and can read all parts of this newsletter.
Student Orientation Course
The student’s first task is to complete the Student Orientation Course. Please do this as soon as possible if you have not already. It is important to complete topics in order and complete all items on the checklist.
You will not gain access to the AP Lang course until 24 hours after the SOC is completed.
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
· students complete all sign off
· students complete all agreement quizzes
· students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
· Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Following successful completion of the SOC, the date on which students will gain access to the course is dependent upon which schedule was selected at the time of registration:
18-Week: Course begins on August 8; earliest course access is August 8
16-Week: Course begins on August 22; earliest course access is August 15
14-Week: Course begins on September 6; earliest course access is August 29
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in his or her course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Log in to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth. (contact me if you need the GTID)
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link: http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Synchronous Sessions for AP Lang
We will have a synchronous session every Monday at 6:15 pm. On some Mondays, I will conduct the session; on other Mondays, one of the other AP Lang teachers will conduct the session. Please set aside this time when making plans for the semester and refer to the full schedule of topics linked from the Course Information widget.
Our first session will be the Welcome Chat, which was held on Monday, August 8, at 6:15 pm. You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join our synchronous sessions: http://gavirtualschool.adobeconnect.com/craceoffice
In case you haven't found the recording for this session on our course homepage, here's the link: https://gavirtualschool.adobeconnect.com/_a1009797041/p962qg9hhly/
AP Information Meetings
A link to the recording from the session along with contact information for Joyce McKay should be in a news announcement on your "My Home" page.
Help Sessions for Students and Parents New to Brightspace and GaVS
Georgia Virtual School will hold Brightspace Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
· Tuesday, August 9 - 7 PM
· Tuesday, August 23 - 7 PM
· Tuesday, September 6 - 7 PM
I highly recommend that you attend one of these sessions if you are new to our online courses; you will earn a certificate worth extra credit and learn where to find everything within the course. Past students have said these sessions helped them acclimate to the online environment.
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session: Adobe D2L Help Classroom
Meet Ms. Crace
I have been teaching English, journalism, and English as a Second Language for the past 15 years, in Arizona; Athens, GA; and Greenville, SC. I have worked with every high school grade level and taught both AP Language and AP Literature. This year, in addition to GAVS, I am teaching American and British Literature part-time in a face-to-face classroom in Greenville, SC. I am married with two young children.
Watch Our Course Introduction Video
This is the Course Introduction Video I created for those of you new to GaVS and AP Lang, but even students who were with me last semester will benefit from these tips and reminders. Note: Assignment due dates have changed to Thursdays for this year.
AP Lang Newsletters
Look for newsletter and emails from me at least every other week following assignment due date Thursdays. These will contain plenty of information about ELOs (Extra Learning Opportunities - for extra credit), upcoming assignments, test information, etc.