Wit and Wisdom Module 1
Second Grade-A Season of Change
Module 1 Overview
Change is a concept that students go through in school, in their lives, and in the world. In this module, the students make sense of the world around them by observing change through the study of the four seasons. They discover how change impacts characters by analyzing poems, paintings, and various well-written texts. At the end of the module, students will write an informational paragraph using what they learned to describe their understanding of change and the effect it has on plants and animals.
Winter is Coming
A Tree For All Seasons
Activities to do to reinforce reading concepts
- Go on a hike and talk about the signs you see that fall has arrived.
- While reading a book with your child, ask them two important questions-- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- As you are reading, see if you can find any compound words in the story.
- After reading a nonfiction story, ask your child what the main idea of the story is and what supporting details they can identify to support the main idea.
- After reading a story, talk about the central message. What is the author trying to tell you?
- After reading a story, have your child talk about how the character changed from the beginning of the story to the end.
- Sometimes in a nonfiction text, the author will create a timeline to show the sequence of how things happened. Have your child create a timeline of important things that happened in their life.
- When your child comes to an unknown word in their reading, have them try and use context clues and pictures to help identify the meaning of the word.