To arms, to arms! Over the land, over the sea.
This is the map of Portugal and it displays about 151 of its cities, the most popular of which is Lisbon, the capital! Lisbon is located in West Portugal.
Portugal has many coastal and mountainous regions, but this land area also causes cities like Lisbon and Porto to experience many natural disasters. Floods and hurricanes are an often occurrence, and these inevitable events are effecting the economy and population of the country.
The south experiences Mediterranean weather with particularly mild winters and hot summers. Further north, the coast is warmed by the Gulf Stream, so winters are still mild and summers are warm. In some inland regions, you can even find snow in the winter season.
The image above displays the current flag which contains many messages and reminders for the Portuguese people, so they can recall the history of their homeland.
Alfonso VI was the first king of Portugal . He is know to have been a strong king was interested in law and order. He was a leader of his country during the Reconquista and was described by the Arabs as a very fierce and sharp-minded enemy, but also as one who kept his word.
In the 15th and 16th centuries, Portugal held the status of a "world power," as it built a large and one of the longest lasting empires in Europe, including land in South America, Africa, Asia and Oceania. Over the next two centuries, Portugal kept most of its colonies but gradually lost much of its wealth and status as the Dutch, English and French took over.
Portugal's Partnership With The European Union
To the right, both a Euro (on the top) and a Portuguese Escudo (bottom) is displayed.
Did You Know?!
Portugal has a population of over 10 million people (10,799,270) as of July 2013!
The Vasco da Gama Bridge, over the Tagus River in Lisbon is the largest in Europe at 17.2 km's (10.7 mi).
The most popular sport in Portugal is football (soccer), the national team finished 3rd in the 1966 World Cup, 2nd in Euro 2004, and 4th in 2006 World Cup.
- "National Flag of Portugal." Portugal Flag. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "File:Flag of Portugal.svg." - Wikimedia Commons. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "Alfonso VI "El Bravo" Y Su Amada Zaida." Cajn De Apuntes RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "Your WORLD Empire in Off Topic (non Total War Discussions) Forum."Topic. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "Portugal Vector Map." Portugal Vector Map. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "UD - Papéis De Parede Grátis, Wallpapers." Ultra Downloads. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "World Weather & Climate Information." Weather and Climate: Portugal, Average Monthly Rainfall, Sunshine, Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "Portugal - Disaster Statistics." Disaster Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.
- "Fun Portugal Facts for Kids - Interesting Information about Portugal." Fun Portugal Facts for Kids - Interesting Information about Portugal. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2014.